Registered
104 Posts
Zlatan has been awarded the player of the month for October,

Meanwhile Lega Serie A suspends Primavera competitions,

·
Registered
46,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
Juventus have scored the first with CR7 at Roma vs Lazio but I'm not impressed by Juventus at all.
Lazio have missed a pretty huge chance to equalize with that gatto di marmo (marble cat) called Muriqi. Maybe SMS was offside but huge miss nevertheless.
It looks like a summer friendly game, but it's November.

·
Registered
46,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Muriqi really is Turkish league material and Fares up to now has been owned almost completely by Cuadrado, but, again, Juventus do not impress as a whole.

·
Registered
46,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
HT 0-1

A good run from Kulusevski stopped with a foul and the usual FK taken by CR7 more with power than precision which is saved by Reina the way it would have been saved by any professional goalie. CR7 hit a post before but I was doing something else. End of a pretty slow first half. Lazio need Caicedo.

·
Registered
13,140 Posts
Lazio-Juve, derby of the meat-packing glitterati, ends with a 95th minute Lazio goal, 1-1. Pirlo I'm sure is "tranquilo."

·
Registered
46,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Pirlo is exaggeratedly "tranquillo" and probably has communicated a similar "tranquillità" to the team. Hunger is needed. Just the ones who are hungry gameday after gameday win the scudetto. I start to believe that Pirlo might make the miracle to lose the scudetto in spite of having CR7 in his team and in spite of the overall level of the league being poor.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ivan Juric has instilled such grit in his team, Verona are constantly taking unexpected points. Lost Kumbulla too, but still have conceeded the least amount of goals so far, despite playing against Roma, Milan and Juve.

Juve and Milan were away matches too. Ceccherini overall been a successful transfer, and Lovato seems promising.

Interesting round with Torino being unable to defeat Crotone at home. Seems more and more likely that they won't do any better than last season.

·
Registered
61,186 Posts
Lovato gave away a very stupid penalty though.

Verona lost Rrahmani too I believe.

Juric was a good player, and being the student of Gasperini isn't a bad thing...

·
Registered
17,238 Posts
I have watched more Serie A this year than in a long time. I've enjoyed the little teams giving the big clubs a run for their money, mostly thanks to VAR calling off big teams' goals, rightfully. I worry that VAR is slipping a little in the past week or two, but hopefully it continues to hold up in providing fair results. I have to say I was impressed by reading this from wikipedia about Verona's scudetto in the 80s, and I feel that VAR is helping the small teams be competitive. I no longer watch any game thinking it will be boring. In fact I often find the smaller teams more entertaining:

"""""""""""
Hellas finished the year with a 15–13–2 record and 43 points, four points ahead of Torino F.C. with Internazionale and Sampdoria rounding out the top four spots. This unusual final table of the Serie A (with the most successful Italian teams of the time, Juventus and Roma, ending up much lower than expected) has led to many speculations. The 1984–85 season was the only season when referees were assigned to matches by way of a random draw. Before then each referee had always been assigned to a specific match by a special commission of referees (designatori arbitrali). After the betting scandal of the early 1980 (the Calcio Scommesse scandal), it was decided to clean up the image of Italian football by assigning referees randomly instead of picking them, to clear up all the suspicions and accusations always accompanying Italy's football life. This resulted in a quieter championship and in a completely unexpected final table.

In the following season, won again by Juventus, the choice of the referees went back in the hands of the designatori arbitrali.

""""""""

It seems I've watched a lot of Spezia (Pogeba = Pogba?), Verona (overall nice team), Benevento (I respect F. Inzaghi's dedication) and Crotone (I enjoy watching Cigarini, a player that never became a top midfielder but is still nice for a team like this to have, play).

Pirlo is freakin clueless, beyond just looking out of his depth. He can't use 4 offensive wingers in the same lineup and expect to keep some balance. He relies a lot on headless chicken running of Aaron Ramsey and strong play of McKennie to provide any substance to his team. Arthur is an insipid midfielder, useless for Serie A, where possession doesn't matter much. If Juve had a minimally competent manager they would easily win the league again.

Roma needs to lose the 3-defense formation, or at least work on an alternative. They are seriously handicapping themselves and are less enjoyable to watch as a result. I otherwise like their players, including Ibanez especially, but they also over-rely on aging Dzeko and Pedro (who should be substituted off way earlier than he has been). Bryan Cristante is underrated and I think he can be an important holding player for them when Smalling is out, or if they add an extra midfielder.

Milan might struggle as Ibra gets a dip of form. They are the only top team in the league that is not afraid to play with a 4-man defense and I think this has helped them maintain flow into their game. Entertaining to watch. They need to stop bringing Hauge and Castilejo on as subs though... totally useless players.

Inter is a disgrace. I still can't get over them passing on Allegri to keep their cry baby coach. Maybe it had something to do with contracts, but for them to not capitalize on Juve's weakness is just impressively poor.

·
Nun c'è Problema!
3,186 Posts
Bryan Cristante is underrated and I think he can be an important holding player for them when Smalling is out, or if they add an extra midfielder.
🤯

Dacourt, Brighi, Bradley > Cristante

I may be overreacting but still...

·
Registered
23,966 Posts
It seems I've watched a lot of Spezia (Pogeba = Pogba?),

Milan might struggle as Ibra gets a dip of form. They are the only top team in the league that is not afraid to play with a 4-man defense and I think this has helped them maintain flow into their game. Entertaining to watch. They need to stop bringing Hauge and Castilejo on as subs though... totally useless players.
Tommaso Pobega is a Milan loan, I am surprised he is doing so well.

Milan, we suffer now because Hakan lost his form and Rebic got injured, both those were key players in our good form at the end of last season. Castillejo has indeed been abysmal this season. But worse is that Romagnoli been awful.

·
Registered
17,238 Posts
Tommaso Pobega is a Milan loan, I am surprised he is doing so well.

Milan, we suffer now because Hakan lost his form and Rebic got injured, both those were key players in our good form at the end of last season. Castillejo has indeed been abysmal this season. But worse is that Romagnoli been awful.
Indeed Kjaer may have been your MVP up to now, along with Ibra.

Btw, Saelemaekers (spelling?) is absolutely amazing, tactically useful player. I always cringe when Pioli subs him off and then Milan start to struggle. His work rate is insane.

·
Registered
61,186 Posts
I have watched more Serie A this year than in a long time. I've enjoyed the little teams giving the big clubs a run for their money, mostly thanks to VAR calling off big teams' goals, rightfully. I worry that VAR is slipping a little in the past week or two, but hopefully it continues to hold up in providing fair results. I have to say I was impressed by reading this from wikipedia about Verona's scudetto in the 80s, and I feel that VAR is helping the small teams be competitive. I no longer watch any game thinking it will be boring. In fact I often find the smaller teams more entertaining:

"""""""""""
Hellas finished the year with a 15–13–2 record and 43 points, four points ahead of Torino F.C. with Internazionale and Sampdoria rounding out the top four spots. This unusual final table of the Serie A (with the most successful Italian teams of the time, Juventus and Roma, ending up much lower than expected) has led to many speculations. The 1984–85 season was the only season when referees were assigned to matches by way of a random draw. Before then each referee had always been assigned to a specific match by a special commission of referees (designatori arbitrali). After the betting scandal of the early 1980 (the Calcio Scommesse scandal), it was decided to clean up the image of Italian football by assigning referees randomly instead of picking them, to clear up all the suspicions and accusations always accompanying Italy's football life. This resulted in a quieter championship and in a completely unexpected final table.

In the following season, won again by Juventus, the choice of the referees went back in the hands of the designatori arbitrali.

""""""""

It seems I've watched a lot of Spezia (Pogeba = Pogba?), Verona (overall nice team), Benevento (I respect F. Inzaghi's dedication) and Crotone (I enjoy watching Cigarini, a player that never became a top midfielder but is still nice for a team like this to have, play).

Pirlo is freakin clueless, beyond just looking out of his depth. He can't use 4 offensive wingers in the same lineup and expect to keep some balance. He relies a lot on headless chicken running of Aaron Ramsey and strong play of McKennie to provide any substance to his team. Arthur is an insipid midfielder, useless for Serie A, where possession doesn't matter much. If Juve had a minimally competent manager they would easily win the league again.

Roma needs to lose the 3-defense formation, or at least work on an alternative. They are seriously handicapping themselves and are less enjoyable to watch as a result. I otherwise like their players, including Ibanez especially, but they also over-rely on aging Dzeko and Pedro (who should be substituted off way earlier than he has been). Bryan Cristante is underrated and I think he can be an important holding player for them when Smalling is out, or if they add an extra midfielder.

Inter is a disgrace. I still can't get over them passing on Allegri to keep their cry baby coach. Maybe it had something to do with contracts, but for them to not capitalize on Juve's weakness is just impressively poor.
Financially speaking it would be too much to pay for 3 coaches simultaneously: Spalletti, Conte and Allegri. And Conte last season did well at Inter, sacking him would have been silly. He had as many points in the league as Mourinho's Inter in 09-10 and reached EL final.

It's week 7 dude, still early days.

I don't see the whole of Europe fighting over Allegri either.

·
Registered
17,238 Posts
Spezia just held Atalanta to a goal-less draw. Atalanta will feel screwed in the last 5 minutes during which the ref seemed to call everything Spezia's way, but Atalanta severely lacked a hitman up front to hold up the ball. I guess Atalanta also has more players that went on international duty, and perhaps they were more tired.

Chabot made a big difference when he came on.. a few big tackles that caused major turnovers, but both teams did not look like scoring today... just poor in the final third overall.

·
Registered
46,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Good start for Prendelli. lol
After a few failures every coach is pretty much burnt. Prandelli is not the exception.

·
Registered
17,238 Posts
Good start for Prendelli. lol
After a few failures every coach is pretty much burnt. Prandelli is not the exception.
I was puzzled by his hiring. He has failed in consecutive jobs so this felt more like an emotional thing. Even Spaletti is probably less burnt (though looks like he is still being paid by Inter).

The Juve Cagliari game yesterday was prototypically my least favourite types of games: Juve continues to be clueless tactically but their players are just too good. Kulusevski in particular looks like an extraordinary player, even if he looks lanky and awkward. If he learns a bit from Nedved's playing style (minus the diving) instead of just trying to beat players one-on-one, then he can easily become one of the most dominant players in the world (he is already dominant in Italy). I hope that the other directors tried to get him too, or else they should be regretting not even trying.

Arthur played much better. He basically got himself out of trouble each time with the ball and kept possession for his team. The fact he is 24 makes this a good move for Juve in the end.

Bernardeschi got a 7 in most newspaper ratings but that puzzled me. He was industrious to some degree but he is clearly lacking confidence and screwed up the play of superior players around him many times. I bet Juve could have dominated more with Frabotta making simpler plays and feeding the ball to Ronaldo and Morata more reliably.

Another thing which makes Juve so unstoppable (will make Pirlo look good) is they have a great number of players that are tall and physically strong. I felt sorry for Cagliari who had to defend corners against Demiral, De Ligt, Morata, Ronaldo, Rabiot and so on. Their saving grace was Bernardeschi doing a poor job at corner taking a few times.

·
Registered
61,186 Posts
Ok will post in here while watching it. Cheers.

·
Registered
61,186 Posts
Good save Meret on Hakan shot

·
Registered
61,186 Posts
Rebic and Kjaer fluffed shots, Milan more of a threat

81 - 100 of 143 Posts