Xtratime Community banner

481 - 500 of 547 Posts

·
Registered
47,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #483 (Edited)
To be honest I am not sure. Again, I think they can improve everywhere a little. If you look at Juve, CR7, Morata, Kulusevski and Chiesa could all easily walk into the best line-up Napoli could produce. From Milan, Hakan, Rebic, Leao and Ibra would probably do the same. From Inter, Lukaku, Lautaro, Hakimi, Brozovic.
This is a game many people used to do when I joined Xtratime a long time ago (Glen in particular) and I have always contested it because players are not Panini stickers and football is a team sport. On paper Napoli had the best center backs pair of serie A, which was Manolas-Koulibaly, but unfortunately they never really were the best pair, probably not just for their own faults.
Anyway, give Gattuso's team back in Sarri's hands (given the feuds between Sarri and ADL it will never happen) and it probably improves badly.

·
Nun c'è Problema!
3,222 Posts
If he went back to check the foul from Fazio (was a clear foul), this was also a same situation.

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Shout out to former Parma/Nazionale defender Luigi Sartor who had his own greenhouse of marijuana 🤘

·
Registered
47,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #489 (Edited)
Inter - Atalanta is a fantastic game. Conte vs the club in which he flopped, Gasperini vs the club in which he flopped.
I'm not going to make a prediction first of all because this game is unpredictable. Much depends on Atalanta. Their performances have been galacticos material most of times, but in a few games they have been mediocre/poor. If they ever were in their galactical shape, Inter would have very few chances to win this game.

It is also interesting that the other Milanese club face the one I call Atalanta 2.0, that means Verona. The team trained by Juric doesn't have the peaks of Atalanta but haven't had ups and downs. They are always, consistently, good. Milan would have needed Ibra and their best shape to get 3 points. Not that theat they can't defeat Verona but it won't be easy at all.

·
Registered
17,816 Posts
I don't give much of a chance to Atalanta. I don't see how they can stop the Inter attack and think the Inter defence will be better compared to the Atalanta defence.

·
Registered
46,468 Posts
I don't give much of a chance to Atalanta. I don't see how they can stop the Inter attack and think the Inter defence will be better compared to the Atalanta defence.
I don't know how you can say that.

Look at this. In Serie A this season, they smashed Lazio 4-1, drew with Juventus and Inter, clobbered Roma 4-1, chokeslammed Milan for 3-0 and elbow dropped Napoli 4-2. That's a pretty great record vs top teams. And how about other games where they beat their opposition by at least 3 goals? 5-2 vs Cagliari, 3-0 vs Fiorentina, 5-1 vs Sassuolo, 3-0 vs Parma, 4-1 vs Benevento, 5-1 vs Crotone.

Yes, they do have those games where they're off, like Toni said. But in the games where they're on, it's devastation. And no one is spared...even the best teams are fair game.

We drew 1-1 with them the last time (so they did stop the Inter attack and did breach the Inter defence) and we had a lot of difficulty with them even though they weren't having a good day themselves.

You can't see it as anything but one of the very toughest fixtures for Inter. We have to be at the very top of our game to come out with a good result.

·
Registered
17,816 Posts
I don't know how you can say that.

Look at this. In Serie A this season, they smashed Lazio 4-1, drew with Juventus and Inter, clobbered Roma 4-1, chokeslammed Milan for 3-0 and elbow dropped Napoli 4-2. That's a pretty great record vs top teams. And how about other games where they beat their opposition by at least 3 goals? 5-2 vs Cagliari, 3-0 vs Fiorentina, 5-1 vs Sassuolo, 3-0 vs Parma, 4-1 vs Benevento, 5-1 vs Crotone.

Yes, they do have those games where they're off, like Toni said. But in the games where they're on, it's devastation. And no one is spared...even the best teams are fair game.

We drew 1-1 with them the last time (so they did stop the Inter attack and did breach the Inter defence) and we had a lot of difficulty with them even though they weren't having a good day themselves.

You can't see it as anything but one of the very toughest fixtures for Inter. We have to be at the very top of our game to come out with a good result.
Two things:

1- Inter is on better form than they were on when they last played Atalanta
2- Inter is a legitimately physical (and skillful) team which is not the case of any of those other teams they beat in Serie A, and that is Atalanta's weakness if anything

·
Registered
47,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #493 (Edited)
Camelface, Atalanta is the most physical team of serie A I can think of. They are the German team of serie A.

They can lose.They actually lost. To Sampdoria in Bergamo, 3-1. I have to watch the highlights of that game because right now I can't believe it happened.
They were also destroyed by Napoli at the beginning of the season.

I would not say that they are Ilicic-dependent, it would not be true because they had excellent games without him. An inform Ilicic makes things easier for them, no doubt about it.
They are also not Muriel-dependent, but Muriel has those Ronaldo-esque (R9) moves which are often decisive. They are not Duvan Zapata-dependent but Zapata is a tank and is comparable to Lukaku.

·
Registered
46,468 Posts
Our form in terms of results is good. If you take actual performances, the last match against Parma was not very good.

Atalanta is very physical and full of hard running and you need to be in top condition to face them. The fact that we played on Thurs night, giving us less recovery time than Atalanta, can have a big cost too. It wouldn't be such a big deal if teams had about a week to recover. For this match though, with a team like Atalanta, it matters a lot.

It remains to be seen what condition we are in on Monday. A great amount also depends on which Atalanta turns up on Monday. If it's the Galactical version (credit: @ToniSamp ), then oh, boy, we're in for it.

Reactions: ToniSamp

·
Registered
17,816 Posts
My term physical was ambiguous. I didn't mean physical as in German autobahn engine style, which I know they are. I meant physical as in muscle off the ball type physicality.

·
Registered
17,816 Posts
Monday is plenty of time for Inter to recover btw. I know Toni is an Atalanta fan boy but Fird you are sounding like N4L trying to avoid the scaramanzia :p

·
Registered
46,468 Posts
Monday is plenty of time for Inter to recover btw. I know Toni is an Atalanta fan boy but Fird you are sounding like N4L trying to avoid the scaramanzia :p
While the results should speak for themselves, I've watched enough of Atalanta to know how dangerous they are. There's a reason why I watch their games when I can and it's the same reason @ToniSamp is the Supreme Pontiff of the Church of Ilicic.

And the time makes a difference. Atalanta know this too as they were knocked out by PSG last season (after giving them one hell of a time) because they tired in the latter part of the game. Unlike PSG, they can barely rotate players. As for us, we barely rotated between Genoa and Parma. Lautaro was rested but came on since Parma were putting us to the sword; Hakimi came back after suspension.

As for the difference in condition, I didn't watch Atalanta's game but from the scoreline and opposition, I assume they weren't burned out. In our case, the match became a major drama until the final whistle thanks to Parma's goal.

Reactions: ToniSamp and TTM
481 - 500 of 547 Posts