Xtratime Community banner

461 - 480 of 547 Posts

·
Registered
47,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #461
The number of players of Torino Calcio who have been infected by coronavirus is increasing to the point that the next game with Sassuolo could be postponed.

·
Administrator
53,288 Posts
The number of players of Torino Calcio who have been infected by coronavirus is increasing to the point that the next game with Sassuolo could be postponed.
Why don't they do it Lazio/Lotito style? Just fake the covid test and say your players aren't infected?

Reactions: ToniSamp

·
Registered
46,468 Posts
Watching Spezia v Parma. Karamoh has been pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Scored a nice goal and almost set up another after some fancy footwork. Nice quick, hard ground passes to find teammates. @Nacka

Reactions: Nacka

·
Registered
17,816 Posts
Cassano is the gift that keeps giving:

Cassano predicts bright future for Man City and United starlets

By Football Italia staff

Antonio Cassano predicts a bright future for Manchester City and United starlets and blames the Italian system: ‘We don’t believe in youths’
“The quality of Italian football is not high,” he told Il Corriere dello Sport.
“Best players used to come to Italy until 2010, now we only welcome mediocre players or great old. Juventus and Inter are the only club that can sign some interesting youths.
“It’s been a few years that at least seven players score more than 20 goals per season. Ronaldo, the Phenomenon, reached 25 in his best campaign. It’s a joke, come on.
Everyone can score. Defences are ridiculous and we are punished when we go abroad.
“Roberto Baggio had the right idea: we must invest in the youth sectors. Germany and England stole the idea, and they are doing it instead.
“Sancho is so strong, Haaland too, he was getting regular game time in Salzburg. Did you see Musiala against Lazio or Foden? And believe me, keep an eye on Stevanovic and Diallo, from Manchester City and United.
“Young players are given opportunities abroad, in Italy we think about building up from the back.
“Everyone’s looking at Guardiola, but Pep has evolved. Cancelo starts as a right-back but plays a centre midfielder.
“He was building up from the back at Barcelona because he could do it. He had Piqué, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta. It was so difficult to take the ball off their feet.”

Cassano: ‘Ronaldo flopped at Juve’

By Football Italia staff

Antonio Cassano believes Cristiano Ronaldo has flopped at Juventus and explains why Roma must keep Paulo Fonseca.
The Portuguese star joined the Old Lady in the summer of 2018 in a €120m deal.
“He has another year left in his contract, Juventus signed him to win the Champions League, but they have had worst results since he arrived. They would have won Serie A titles also without him. It was the wrong project.
“For 120 years, winning was the only thing that mattered at Juventus. It is still an obligation, but they tried to change their skin with Sarri and Andrea [Pirlo].
“Ronaldo has nothing to do with Pirlo’s ideas. He will carry on scoring because he can do it even sitting. He cuts inside from the left and can destroy the goal and his headers are unique.
“Andrea wants to build the action from the back, he wants to press high on the pitch. Ronaldo can decide games, but he doesn’t participate much.
I think he did badly in these years unless they manage to win the Champions League.”
Who are the favourite to win the Serie A title?
“Inter are in the race for the Scudetto only. They’ve been eliminated from Europe and the Coppa Italia. If they don’t win the title it’s a failure. However, I go crazy for Atalanta and I like Roma, Fonseca is an excellent coach.
“Why should he be replaced? At the beginning of the season, we though fourth place would have been a masterpiece. Today he is in front of Atalanta, Lazio and Napoli. Everyone wants to change. Arsenal haven’t won anything for 12 years, but they kept Wenger even when the press destroyed him.”

I have shared this same opinion here before. I think it is a matter of his age and diminishing stamina.

·
Administrator
53,288 Posts
He says basic things this time, but Cassano is litterally one of the absolute last people in existence I will listen to about football opinions. Routinely blurts out brainless shit for years now.

·
Registered
17,816 Posts
I guess I was wrong about Lazio not slumping. Probably their recent run of defeats has hurt their confidence and will need a bit of time to recuperate.

·
Registered
47,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #468
In the meanwhile Verona prove once more that a team can do pretty well in serie A just by playing that kind of football the opponents can't play for different reasons (wrong coach, wrong players, wrong environment...).

Tomorrow it will be hard to support Sampdoria against an opponent which plays similarly appealing football. In a game which means nothing for Sampdoria and a lot for Atalanta.

Well, the defeat for Sampdoria might actually mean something for the ones who, like me, are done with Ranieri's football and are told that Ranieri's contract will be renewed as soon as Sampdoria is safe. Should I hope that safety comes so late to suggest a second thought?

·
Nun c'è Problema!
3,222 Posts
Ilicic was never a 90min player, as strange as this sounds it's true (even when playing in Slovenia).

·
Registered
46,468 Posts
Catching Napoli v Benevento. Pretty scrappy so far but Napoli is in control.

Any news on when Lozano will be available? They initially said that he'd be out for a month...which sucks because I really like watching him play. @TTM

Btw, what does everyone think of Zielinski?

Reactions: TTM and camelface

·
Registered
17,816 Posts

Any news on when Lozano will be available? They initially said that he'd be out for a month...which sucks because I really like watching him play. @TTM

Haven't watched Zielinski enough to make an opinion. He seems skillful. He just had a beautiful play disallowed (correctly) because of Insigne being offside in the GK's line of vision.

I'm struck by the fact Napoli is not THAT much better than Benevento. I think it's clear Napoli is a lesser category team compared to the top 4.

·
Registered
46,468 Posts
Lol, I was just going to mention that peach of a shot by Zielinski.

You see the game as pretty even? I see Napoli bossing it...Benevento has had to resort to long balls to a tightly marked Lapadula...i.e. giving possession back to Napoli.

As I say this, Lapadula goes on a nice run before getting fouled by Koulibaly.

·
Registered
17,816 Posts
I still give the edge to Napoli but I'm not impressed at all by their meat in the middle. Seems like Benevento could at any point come up with a deadly counter. Napoli's players are generally quite bad at protecting the ball, so they tend to expose themselves to turn-overs, and they don't have any individual game breakers like Inter or Juve, so they need to commit multiple players forward to score goals. Again I don't like how that exposes them in the back or on the counter.

Zielinski has had a very good number of good chances since his goal now, mostly on forward runs right through the middle. He looks talented and incisive. I wouldn't put him in the category of Hakan though, who can control the game and make a dangerous play occur without committing half the team in the opposing box.

·
Registered
46,468 Posts
I think Napoli is a top 4-worthy team. They've been unlucky with injuries to key players...first Mertens and then Lozano.

You nailed it with "incisive"...perfect descriptor for Zielinski, imo. What do you think Napoli is missing?

Reactions: TTM

·
Registered
17,816 Posts
To be honest I am not sure. Again, I think they can improve everywhere a little. If you look at Juve, CR7, Morata, Kulusevski and Chiesa could all easily walk into the best line-up Napoli could produce. From Milan, Hakan, Rebic, Leao and Ibra would probably do the same. From Inter, Lukaku, Lautaro, Hakimi, Brozovic.

From Napoli, who would walk into Juve's starting line-up? No one probably. Into Inter? No one either. Into Milan? Maybe Insigne and Lozano indeed.

As for Roma, I think Miki is the type of player that is a class above Insigne, Zielinski, Lozano and so on, and belongs to Hakan's class. Miki can actually carry a team forward on his own. I don't think any Napoli player can do that unfortunately. This means they have to play the see-saw between attack and defense.

They don't have a figurehead at the top like an Ibra or Lukaku who would completely change their need to commit everyone forward. Even a player like Dzeko may have been helpful for them. They don't have a boss in midfield, like a Kessie or Brozovic.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts

Looks like he is out for another 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
46,468 Posts
@camelface I'm looking at it a bit differently...not in terms of a player for player comparison but how Napoli would fare with upgrades given the players and the system they already have. Napoli has been a siege team with super chemistry for years. You can say it's part of their DNA now...they've been like that since Mazzari.

In that vein, Lozano is a perfect player for them. But I agree with what you said...they lack a midfield general. And a target/hold-up man who is very mobile and who can assist (Zapata would fit right in). I also think that Koulibaly needs a better defensive partnership. They need someone to really complement him (maybe Acerbi could work well).

As I say this, Koulibaly just got a red card. 🙄

Reactions: camelface

·
Registered
17,816 Posts
I stopped watching the game but yeah I agree with all that. You're right that they have a solid foundation to go on. Not sure that Osinhem was the right player to get but they are trying and we can see what they do this summer.

461 - 480 of 547 Posts