Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on a decent run, so let's keep it going.

This will be a tough game, and an extremely important one. A result for us would be a tremendous step towards remaining competitive for a position for CL as we approach the final third of the season.

Atalanta keep impressing, now with Zapata in amazing form. His sheer physicality has always been hard to control, but now he's also scoring often. The defense have to be on point.

I'll go on a limb for this one and predict that if Hakan starts this one he will finally score, which could be very good for us in the long run.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
Our defense are amongst the best in Europe since December

Lets knock them out from 4th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
I don't like to use the overused word must-win (tell me which game isn't :D) - but this game is a 6 pointer, with a loss having huge ramifications in qualifying for the UCL. So screw what I don't like.... This is a MUST-WIN game!

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Atalanta is very good at home, they even beat Juve there (in Coppa) 3-0. With that in mind I think a draw wouldnt be that bad, especially since Lazio have a somehow difficult game vs Genoa away. Only Roma have a easy one vs Bologna at home.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
There will still be 42 pts up for grabs after this game. I'm not overly concerned this week would have direct implications over the race for CL spots. And Atalanta away is always a tough fixture, not to mention this team & setup they got at the moment, their form & amazing results against the big guns.... I'm more interested in Gattuso's game plan & how he intends to stop Zapata, Gomez & Ilicic - given we're a defensive minded team first & foremost. I believe a draw is attainable, maybe something that tilts the head to head in our favor, we had a scoring tie earlier this season if my memory serves me, so anything to equal that or somehow helps our cause.

·
Registered
168 Posts
this game has 2-2 draw written all over it, i wouldn't be surprised if we somehow grind out a tough win. we are very overdue a big win on the road away from san siro

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
I don't like to use the overused word must-win (tell me which game isn't :D) - but this game is a 6 pointer, with a loss having huge ramifications in qualifying for the UCL. So screw what I don't like.... This is a MUST-WIN game!

I would be happy with a point. I feel that whether we qualify or not will be as much about how we do in other games. We need to ensure we take three points in the true "must-win" games, such as the ones coming up:

Empoli (h)
Sassuolo (h)
Chievo (a)

Sassuolo in particular, who are mid-table so no pushovers. CL qualification will be determined by how we fare in these games.

·
Registered
10,087 Posts
The law of averages, please?? 5 draws and 2 losses in our last 7 matches against them, and they’re in good form... :groan:

·
Registered
15,580 Posts
We'll win.

I'm interested in what Gattuso will do with Biglia.

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I doubt Gattuso will change anything in the starting lineup unless injuries or suspensions force him, at least as long as we keep getting results. He seems old school like that. He's also had to deal with enough forced changes throughout the first half of the season. And knowing him a bit even if individual players' form drop drastically he won't necessarily make changes if we keep the good run and/or the clean sheets.

That said, Biglia is clearly someone he appreciates a lot, so surely he'll get a least some chances to impress. And he seems like a really good guy to sub in too in certain circumstances.

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
Want to see a similar performance from Kessie. He should be fired up as it's where he made his name, but he just needs to be more cool and decisive in the final third. Same with Hakan, who I thought did some good things, fired off shots on target but just couldn't get that breakthrough.

Bakayoko needs to step it up a bit. He set the bar quite high then last couple of games has been a bit off. With the way Atalanta play, if he can put in a big performance our chances greatly increase.

·
Registered
15,580 Posts
Kessie so close!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
First chance to Kessie was decent as well. One of his better efforts probably, but just poor technique over all.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts