Xtratime Community banner

161 - 180 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah, that's not good. They have to buy someone. I hope they don't try to give Murillo the starting job

·
Super Moderator
13,713 Posts
Has Murillo been that bad? he looked very promising a few years ago.

·
Registered
45,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Murillo is definitely on the way out, luckily. The fact that Ranieri chose Chabot over him pretty much tells it. The problem is that we need a club to take over his contract with us (it's a loan which will become a full transfer so it's pretty much a full transfer).
As regards the game with Milan, we had the chances to win this game but I take the point. We need to defeat Brescia now. 19 points at the end of the first part of the season would not be that bad if we consider how the season started.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah, I think for sure that a tie at San Siro is more one point gained than two lost. Even though Udinese, Genoa and SPAL all won. I heard the last 15 minutes on Radio Rai 1. It seemed almost all Milan. I guess their left flank was active because I kept hearing "sinistra" and about the only Samp player mentioned was Berezynski (right back). Next week is really a six pointer, as they say. How was Chabot?

Is there no other term for "calcio di punizione"? It seems an unnecessarily long term for something as simple as a free kick. :)

·
Registered
45,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Chabot did pretty well and as regards "calcio di punizione", it could be shortened to "punizione", but commentators prefer "calcio di punizione" because it is more thundering. 😂

·
Registered
45,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #167 (Edited)
The huge win on Brescia gives me a certainty: we were too good for the relegation fight. We are not 100% safe and things could get bad if we think we are safe, but it's pretty much confirmed that our problem was Eusebio Di Francesco.
On the contrary, Claudio Ranieri is amazing. He could rebuild a good defense on Ferrari. Ferrari got injured and he did it with Chabot. Colley got banned and he has done it with Vasco Regini (!). Simply impressive! Too bad that Murillo isn't even good enough to be chosen before Regini!
Thorsby looked like a donkey we were going to loan to a serie B club like Cremonese before, with Ranieri he has become unreplaceable! Jankto yesterday scored one and assisted two, enough said! Caprari scored again! Quagliarella scored a brace! Ranieri is pretty much resuscitating this team. Hopefully Gabbiadini will soon stop wasting chances to score too.

·
Registered
40,302 Posts
What a brilliant win!

finally i see Samp playing an exciting football this season. Quagliarella , the capitano also came back scoring the beautiful goals as he used to. still the team not in a safe place but such 3 pt are so important though.

lets hope the team keep winning in coming weeks

·
Registered
97 Posts
I didn't see the Brescia game, but I guess it was pretty good. Looking at the first half of the season, Ranieri certainly has worked wonders. I think Samp is in a good place, but can't afford complacency. 40 points seem quite reachable and that should be enough for safety.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Now, the Lazio game, that's a different story. But, I think that in their current form, it's going to take a team much stronger than Sampdoria to stop Lazio. Wow!

Only important think from this game is to forget it, fast. A win at home vs. Sassuolo will see the teams equal on points.

·
Registered
45,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Unfortunately we could not defeat a 10-man Sassuolo and it was yet another 0-0.
0-0s could be useful if the teams who are behind us (4 right now) do not win either. This is exactly what has happened in the last matchday, when Lecce and Genoa got 1 point, while Brescia and SPAL lost. Is it going to be like that till the end of the season? Unlikely. Are we at least not going to lose to them? Hopefully.

·
Registered
45,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Defeat to Napoli. It was pretty bad because at a certain point in the second half I felt that we could not just get one point (after conceding two goals pretty soon in the first half), but even win this game. It was just illusion because we conceded two more goals.
My ratings: Audero 5 - Thorsby 6, Colley 5, Tonelli 6, Augello 5.5 - Ekdal 5, Jankto 5.5 (Vieira 5.5), Linetty 5, Ramirez 6.5 (Maroni 5) - Quagliarella 6.5 (Bonazzoli 5.5), Gabbiadini 6.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Conceding a five-spot and a four-spot in the space of 3 games is not a good sign. On the other hand, coming against Lazio and Napoli, I guess the silver lining is that those are two games you kind of expected to lose anyway. But, isn't that the story of this whole season? Most of the news seems to be of the negative kind, but there's always the silver lining that maybe things aren't that bad.

Is Samp this year a weak team? Yes, but...they're probably better than the 4 teams below them.
Samp are a candidate for relegation? Yes, but... they've taken 10 points from the four games against the teams below them.
Is the defense leaky? Yes, but... they're so much better since Ranieri arrived.
Can the offense hardly score a goal? Yes, but... surely Quagliarella will wake up at least for a few games.

Do we think they'll survive the drop? Yes, but...we're still just that bit nervous.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well, it's Torino time again - Di Francesco's only victory. The Granata started out stronger, but Samp managed to get back into the game. From the minutes I saw, the best chance actually fell to Ramirez, but he missed. I wouldn't be surprised if the FT score is the same as the HT score.

In the fist half of the season Samp took 19 points. Theoretically, this can be repeated in the 2nd half without scoring a goal, by 19 0-0 draws. But, losses to Lazio and Napoli have already rendered that impossible, so they will have to score at least one goal in the remaining 15.5 games.

·
Registered
97 Posts
OK, that was good! It kind of feels like a reverse of the Cagliari game. What a beautiful free kick from Ramirez. For the last two years I thought they should get rid of him, but, this year, he is one of the team's best players. I guess that means he'll be gone next year. Regarding the penalty, I thought it was a foul, and the red card was justified. I also think Quagliarella made the most of it. It's nice to take 6 points off of Torino, after they did it last year. In the last 4 seasons that I've been watching quite a few games, Torino always seem like a bunch of big guys who have no style.

Didn't Linetty miss quite a few games earlier this year? I think his return is a big part of the turnaround. I'll bet he leaves in the summer, too.

I've been watching Thorsby closely since his debut. He has a lot of heart, some defensive skill and he tries hard. But, he doesn't seem quite good enough on the ball. If only his chance had fallen to Gabbiadini and his left foot.

I don't think Vieira is a bad player, but I feel more comfortable with Ekdal. I guess maybe Vieira can do more spectacularly good things and more spectacularly bad things, but Ekdal is more solid.

Lost amidst the 2nd-half euphoria is that Colley was awful. He just couldn't get anything right. I wonder if it isn't time to think about starting Chabot instead.

That goal from Verdi was one of the most agonizing I have ever seen my team concede. It just kind of rolled ever so slowly towards goal, eating your heart out as it did. I can only imagine how Audero felt.

Kudos to the Samp fans. From the camera angles shown, it looked like there were quite a few of them. Even so, I don't see why Tonelli thought he had to take his pants off as well as his shirt, and walk around in his underwear.

·
Registered
45,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
I guess that means he'll be gone next year.
Yeah, it is probable indeed!
:D(y)

Probably Ranieri gives him a bit more freedom.

For me, a Torinese, 6 points in the game vs Torino are indeed gold. All I ask to this troubled season is: staying in serie A and taking points from Juventus.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Do you mean you live in Turin, or that you grew up there? How did you become a Sampdoria fan?

Also, what is the meaning of Torino's nickname, Granata?

·
Registered
45,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Do you mean you live in Turin, or that you grew up there? How did you become a Sampdoria fan?

Also, what is the meaning of Torino's nickname, Granata?
I grew in a town which is not far from Turin then moved to Turin. I became a sampdoriano mostly because of the colours, back in 1982, after the world cup Italy won. Juventus, the club most of my relatives including my father support, had just won two of "those" scudetti they used to win at the expense of the teams which deserved them, so for me they were out. Torino were simply not appealing.
Granata is the color of their shirts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I became a sampdoriano mostly because of the colours, back in 1982

Granata is the color of their shirts.
1982, eh? Not bad. That was just before the beginning of the team's 15-or-so year-long "golden era", right?

As a small child growing up in Ohio, I chose the Cincinnati Bengals over the Cleveland Browns, my grandfather's team, because of the colors and helmet. As miserable as it is being a Bengals' fan, the Browns are even worse!

I think Torino, Cagliari and Genoa all have very ugly colors. As Samp fans, even if we can't brag about our team's performance, at least the uniforms are the best!

·
Registered
45,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
1982, eh? Not bad. That was just before the beginning of the team's 15-or-so year-long "golden era", right?
Yeah, Sampdoria had won no trophy at all when I started to support them. At the beginning I was sort of "studying" the team the way any boy could. They had just been promoted to serie A and bought the two foreign players which were allowed at the time. One was the Irish midfielder Liam Brady, Juventus had got rid of because they had just bought Platini and Boniek, the other one was the English forward Trevor Francis. Two classy foreigners, no doubt about it. Roberto Mancini had also joined, a18 years old rising star Paolo Mantovani had bought for a hell of a lot of money. It was an extremely appealing team indeed, no matter whether they had won nothing. And the start of the season was impressive because Sampdoria defeated the three best teams of serie A (Juventus, Inter and Roma) in the first three games. Unfortunately the following results brought Sampdoria back to a midtable position but they had gained my support forever.

161 - 180 of 200 Posts