Xtratime Community banner

201 - 220 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
46,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
How are you doing, Toni? Is everyday life sort of getting back to normal?
Not really. We have entered Fase 2 but I consider it extremely dangerous. I understand the need to restart for people whose firms are close to failure and workers who need not to lose their job, but today (the way I predicted) there were many fools who didn't respect any rule and walked around, clearly doing nothing, maybe in groups, maybe without respecting 1 metre distance, maybe without a mask or pretending that a 50-cent-mask can protect them from everything. I expect a return to fase 1 at some point and things would get very bad if that happened because firms would fail and workers would lose their jobs, with consequences which would be so bad to be unpredictable. Similarly, we would have situations similar to Bergamo in any part of Italy if a return to fase 1 didn't happen under these conditions, so it would mean that we have brought firms close to failure (or to failure in some cases) and increased the debt of Italy towards other countries for no reason!
Obviously I hope my scenarios are wrong...

·
Registered
46,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
And here is the official plan for all the games but the last three

25.a Inter vs Sampdoria (domenica 21 giugno 2020, ore 21.45, diretta Sky)
27.a Roma vs Sampdoria (mercoledì 24 giugno 2020, ore 21.45, diretta Sky)
28.a Sampdoria vs Bologna (domenica 28 giugno 2020, ore 19.30, diretta Sky)
29.a Lecce vs Sampdoria (mercoledì 1° luglio 2020, ore 21.45, diretta DAZN)
30.a Sampdoria vs SPAL (domenica 5 luglio 2020, ore 19.30, diretta DAZN)
31.a Atalanta vs Sampdoria (mercoledì 8 luglio 2020, ore 21.45, diretta Sky)
32a Udinese vs Sampdoria (domenica 12 luglio 2020, ore 19.30, diretta Sky)
33.a Sampdoria vs Cagliari (mercoledì 15 luglio 2020, ore 19.30, diretta Sky)
34.a Parma vs Sampdoria (domenica 19 luglio 2020, ore 17.15, diretta DAZN)
35.a Sampdoria vs Genoa (mercoledì 22 luglio 2020, ore 21.45, diretta Sky)

We play every Wednesday and Sunday till 22 July.
The last three games have yet to be planned. The very last (at Brescia) should be played on August 2 (Sunday) at 21.45

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for the schedule. The first 2 games don't look very nice. Is there any news about player unavailability due to Covid-19, or any other injuries/illness?

Here is Israel it seems like we are experiencing a 2nd wave after everything started opening up, but hopefully it will be minor compared to the 1st wave.

·
Registered
46,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Right now all our players are healthy but I'm one of the people who think the season will hardy come to an end without other troubles. And probably won't come to an end at all.
Liguria (the regione of Genova) is one of those places in which COVID goes on infecting and thing could get worse now that people from other regioni can enter Liguria. First of all from Lombardia, the regione with the highest number of infected, because Liguria is the first choice for the Lombardi who want to spend their holidays on the seaside.

·
Registered
109 Posts
His last point was uncomfortably interesting. Normally, you aim to be out of the relegation zone at the end of the final week. But, now you aim to be out of it every week. So, theoretically Samp could end the season with games against Juve and Milan, and never even reach the Brescia game. All of the sudden, losing at Juve isn't something you can say "oh well, all of our rivals will lose there too".

·
Registered
46,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
Unfortunately Inter were kicked out of the Italian Cup. My hope was that Inter could play the final and at least be fatigued enough to field a few reserves in the game vs Sampdoria. It is not going to happen, so they have 8 days in which they will recover all their energies and they also have one official game in their legs, while we have none. I don't think we will gain any point from this game and if Inter scored a pair of goals in the first half of a hour I'd consider the option to waste four substitutions in the first half (!!) and rest the best players for the following game, three (!!!!) days later.

·
Registered
46,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #210 (Edited)
It is not clear which players Ranieri is going to field tonight. Ranieri has confirmed that Quagliarella has a calf pain and won't be available because there is the risk to lose him for the next month or so (ten games!).
The probable starting lineup suggested by Gianluca Di Marzio is something completely new for us and pretty different from the one of the game in Genova (which is a good thing!).
Audero - Bereszynski, Yoshida, Tonelli, Murru - De Paoli, Ekdal, Linetty, Jankto - Ramirez, Gabbiadini
Other sources suggest a 3-man defense...

·
Registered
46,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #213 (Edited)
Quagliarella has not been called up. Alex Ferrari is out for the season.
Ranieri has called up a lot of players: 26!
Among them there are three younsters: the 19 yo Brazilian defender Kaique Rocha, the 19 yo Norwegian midfielder Askildsen and the almost 20 yo Felice D'Amico who is following Federico Bonazzoli's route: Inter has sold him to Sampdoria but keeps a percent on a future sale. Bonazzoli has not been a success up to now, but he has been called up too, obviously, and maybe he gets a chance tonight.

Goalies: Audero, Seculin and Falcone
Defenders: Augello, Chabot, Depaoli, Colley, Tonelli, Bereszynski, Murru, Rocha, Yoshida
Midfielders: Vieira, Ekdal, Linetty, Jankto, Askildsen, Thorsby, Leris, Bertolacci*
Forwards: Bonazzoli, Ramirez, La Gumina, Maroni, Gabbiadini, D'Amico

*it's odd that he is healthy!

·
Registered
46,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Predictable defeat. Honourable at least. I never really had the feeling we could equalize. Ranieri tonight was the Tinkerman and gave a chance in attack to La Gumina (!!). I would say that La Gumina was disappointing, but I expected nothing so I can't really be disappointed by the fact that he did nothing! I can't even be disappointed by Bertolacci, a player who was free for a reason when we signed him and the reason is that he is past it (and oddly he is not even 30)! The first half was ugly for us and Inter scored two but probably deserved more. In the second half we scored a goal with Thorsby, once more our MVP, but we didn't look like we could score another. Then Ranieri tinkered a bit and replaced players who had been pretty poor honestly, such as the aforementioned La Gumina and Bertolacci, Ramirez, Jankto and Linetty with Depaoli, Bonazzoli, Vieira, but also the very young Askildsen and above all Léris, a player I wish we could get rid of.

·
Registered
46,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
I forgot to comment the game vs Roma. Until minute 62 more or less I was confident we could even win the game but when I saw the substitutions and in particular I saw that for Roma Pellegrini was coming in while for us the sub at midfield was Léris, I understood that we would have lost. Pellegrini found Dzeko for the perfect volley few minutes later. Then the post hit by Kolarov. Finally another perfect pass from Cristante to Dzeko and 2-1.
The biggest problem of our team is the lack of reliable reserves. As soon as we replace a few players the quality of the team goes down. Badly.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I can't watch these games that are so late, but it's two defeats from two admittedly difficult games. Let's hope things turn around and Quagliarella is back sooner rather than later. Both Genoa and Lecce got blown out, but that's scant consolation.

·
Registered
46,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
I fear that Quagliarella's problem is quite serious and they will try him just when they are sure it is not becoming an injury which will keep him out for remaining games of the season.
Jankto is banned for the next game vs Bologna. I'm not a huge fan of Jankto, probably the biggest waste of money in the last few seasons, but at least he is a serie A player contrarily to other players and in particular Léris. The problem is exactly that at some point Léris could enter the game since we have not many options different from him at midfield.

·
Registered
109 Posts
OK, halftime against Bologna in a game Samp really needs to win. Neither team can really get anything going. Colley is playing well, Ronaldo is battling for all he's worth, Murru is decent, but that's about it. I think La Gumina could have done better with the only chance. My goodness, who is going to score? Why did Ramirez not start? At the moment, Linetty is really the only player on the field with any kind of creativity, but he hasn't shown it yet. It seems that a goal will either come from a set piece, defensive error, or some other kind of goalmouth scramble, but not from any great inspiration or technique.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If anyone has any reason for optimism after this loss to Bologna, please share it with me. I need it. Serie B looming closer than ever...

·
Registered
46,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
We are pretty much hoping that Lecce (or Genoa) manage to make less points than we do. Too bad that we face Lecce in the next game!
On the game: we were really bad, but the penalty on La Gumina in my opinion was clear or at least if we had been "a different team", maybe one with black and white stripes, it would have been conceded by the referee, by the VAR, ... by someone, .... probably by everyone who had the opportunity to concede it. Ranieri was right when he protested after the game. This is the kind of episode which changes a game.

201 - 220 of 234 Posts