Xtratime Community banner

181 - 200 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just to finish the previous conversation, it's interesting you mentioned Trevor Francis and those three games. He is now an analyst on the English-language Serie A broadcasts I watch. In one of the Samp games, he mentioned exactly that, how they beat Juve, Roma and Inter.

Meanwhile, back in 2020, since the very satisfying win at Torino, Lecce has won twice and Genoa has beaten Cagliari, and is now ahead in Bologna at HT. So, the fight continues...

·
Registered
57,709 Posts
I grew in a town which is not far from Turin then moved to Turin. I became a sampdoriano mostly because of the colours, back in 1982, after the world cup Italy won. Juventus, the club most of my relatives including my father support, had just won two of "those" scudetti they used to win at the expense of the teams which deserved them, so for me they were out. Torino were simply not appealing.
Granata is the color of their shirts.
I guess you are referring to the Scudetti stolen from Fiorentina and Roma, latter of which was the famous 'gol di Turone'..

I think my brother supported juve purely because I support Inter, hehe. Well, that and Del Piero.

·
Registered
57,709 Posts
I remember he used to be on beinsports, knows his stuff.

·
Registered
45,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Anyway, back to the last game, I haven't commented before. The first half was shocking: Fiorentina scored three by kicking two penalties. Just a matter of bad luck? Nah... the own goal of Thorsby was mostly a ballerina touch of Bereszynski (I watch it again and again and can't believe he tried that!), the penalty caused by Ramirez and Murru very clumsy and Audero can't save a penaly for his life!! In the second half, 10v10 after the red card to Murru and Badelj in the first half, I expected a reaction, a wise reaction. Instead Sampdoria made brainless attacks and conceded deadly counterattacks.

Audero 4 - Bereszynski 4, Tonelli 5, Colley 4, Murru 4 - Linetty 5, Bertolacci 5, Thorsby 5, Ramirez 5 - Quagliarella 5, Gabbiadini 5.5. Subs: Depaoli 6, Jankto 4, Vieira 4

·
Registered
97 Posts
We seem to be to seeing a kind of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde complex. Win 5-1, lose 5-1, win 3-1, lose 5-1.

Who else plays left back? Murru doesn't miss many games.

Meanwhile, Genoa and Lecce continue winning. At Inter next week, I think? That doesn't sound good...

·
Registered
45,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
We seem to be to seeing a kind of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde complex. Win 5-1, lose 5-1, win 3-1, lose 5-1.

Who else plays left back? Murru doesn't miss many games.

Meanwhile, Genoa and Lecce continue winning. At Inter next week, I think? That doesn't sound good...
Augello, who isn't bad at all in my opinion. I guess Ranieri will park the bus in front of the goal. Gazzetta today talks about the four changes in the lineups: Augello, Depaoli, Yoshida and Ekdal for the two banned players (Murru and Ramirez), Colley and Bertolacci.
With or without the bus, we have clumsy defenders who shot in their own goal and a goalie who could be replaced by a chair so I really don't know what other result than a severe beating we could get in Milan.

·
Registered
57,709 Posts
I hope Samp stay up this season but we really need those points on Sunday before the league visit to rubentus stadium the following Sunday... obviously Samp need points too themselves.

It could be in Samp's favour that Inter will play this match after a trip to Bulgaria in EL. I think Conte will take EL seriously. After all he never won a European trophy as a coach so I doubt he will disregard/belittle EL.

·
Registered
43,694 Posts
Anyway, back to the last game, I haven't commented before. The first half was shocking: Fiorentina scored three by kicking two penalties. Just a matter of bad luck? Nah... the own goal of Thorsby was mostly a ballerina touch of Bereszynski (I watch it again and again and can't believe he tried that!), the penalty caused by Ramirez and Murru very clumsy and Audero can't save a penaly for his life!! In the second half, 10v10 after the red card to Murru and Badelj in the first half, I expected a reaction, a wise reaction. Instead Sampdoria made brainless attacks and conceded deadly counterattacks.

Audero 4 - Bereszynski 4, Tonelli 5, Colley 4, Murru 4 - Linetty 5, Bertolacci 5, Thorsby 5, Ramirez 5 - Quagliarella 5, Gabbiadini 5.5. Subs: Depaoli 6, Jankto 4, Vieira 4
I watched the highlights. Maybe it's just me but I found the 2nd pen and 2nd yellow to Murru was a bit harsh. The sending off of Badelj also seemed harsh to me but then I couldn't really see the contact from the replay angle.

I noticed your defenders were afraid of committing challenges at times, which might be something that Ranieri addresses...but that doesn't seem to be in his character.

That said, I can't judge too much based on highlights and also based on a match against a team that can be very deadly against anyone.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Who is Yoshida? It's good Ramirez is suspended for a game that's probably lost anyway.

Wait - why did Bertolacci play for Ekdal/Vieira? I don't think I've seen him play. Is he any good?

·
Super Moderator
13,713 Posts
I watched that Fiore game. Samp were poor, and Fiore not even that good... such a freak game. Typical of a struggling team, though. I would not say bad luck, but everything that could go wrong went wrong, and Fiore are indeed deadly on occasion.

·
Registered
45,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #192 (Edited)
Who is Yoshida? It's good Ramirez is suspended for a game that's probably lost anyway.

Wait - why did Bertolacci play for Ekdal/Vieira? I don't think I've seen him play. Is he any good?
Maya Yoshida is the former Southampton defender we got on loan during the winter transfer campaign. He has had no chance to prove useful up to now but if we can trust gazzetta the time has come.
Ekdal was banned in the game vs Fiore (and we surely missed him a lot). Bertolacci is good but in my opinion he is one of those players who have already been exhausted, even if they are not that old (he is 29). He is injury prone, when he is not injured he is unfit. There is a reason if he was free when we signed him in October! Ranieri replaced him at halftime in the last game.
Ronaldo Vieira is disappointing me. He is very young and could improve badly, but up to now I don't see him influential either in attack or in defense. In defense he makes clear fouls, not always necessary, which could lead to a yellow card. He is hot-headed, but this is not what I want him to be. He must be tougher but being tough doesn't mean that he must make useless fouls. In terms of contribution to goals instead he has made just one assist.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah, Ronaldo seems to have potential, but he does make quite a few mistakes, including dumb fouls.

Gabbiadini also came from Southampton, right? That worked out ok. Maybe it's a good sign for Yoshida. Haha.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Can someone explain what is going on with the Verona game? Wasn't it supposed to be now (Saturday evening)? All of the sudden it's tomorrow afternoon.

I was really looking forward to watching it :(

·
Registered
45,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
Can someone explain what is going on with the Verona game? Wasn't it supposed to be now (Saturday evening)? All of the sudden it's tomorrow afternoon.

I was really looking forward to watching it :(
yes, the fixtures of serie A are a mess with game days which are changed according to the decisions of authorities, sporting authorities or clubs. I will be sure Sampdoria - Verona is played when I see both teams on the pitch.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well, the game was played, and it ended well. I was thinking to myself that we may look back at Quagliarella's goals and say they were the most important of the season, because that would have been a tough loss, with Genoa winning at San Siro. And now that the league may be suspended, and they're talking about just relegating the bottom three teams as of now, those goals could have literally saved the team.

I know there's a lot of bad stuff going on in Italy now, just hope you guys can get things under control quickly.

Toni - how is your life affected?

·
Registered
45,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Well, the game was played, and it ended well. I was thinking to myself that we may look back at Quagliarella's goals and say they were the most important of the season, because that would have been a tough loss, with Genoa winning at San Siro. And now that the league may be suspended, and they're talking about just relegating the bottom three teams as of now, those goals could have literally saved the team.

I know there's a lot of bad stuff going on in Italy now, just hope you guys can get things under control quickly.

Toni - how is your life affected?
I hope I have not been infected. I have not been 100% cautious. Very few have been according to my experience and a lot of people have behaved as if this was a common flu until numbers have started to be pretty bad. Now it is late.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I read that one Verona player has Coronavirus, and about a half-dozen Samp players do. I guess playing that last game was a mistake...it seems highly likely that one infected the other. Is that what the Italian media are saying as well?

181 - 200 of 200 Posts