Xtratime Community banner

81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
46,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Every time I read gazzetta online there is the usual pic of Gravina: this one in which he looks like his brain is at work
and then "the hypothesis of the day":
"The end of this season in September/October? It is possible..."
"We might start on May 17..."
"I underline that it is just a hypothesis"
I can't really blame Gravina, who does his job, I can't really blame gazzetta who do their job... I blame myself for checking gazzetta in these days!

·
Registered
46,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Why do they just not cancel the season? People still care about calcio in Italia these days?
Yes, they should. I'm not sure that they can. Probably they can't.
And yes, they still care but life with coronavirus around (and without live football) is indeed different.

·
Registered
46,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I could live without football forever but I start to realize that football was the perfect drug for moments of nostalgia/malinconia which unfortunately happen pretty often in a middle-aged man like me. Yesterday I was thinking back to a girl I considered a sort Donna Angelicata back in the 80s. I had the ugly idea to look for her in the internet and obviously I found the pic of a middle-aged woman who looks nothing like the Donna Angelicata she looked like 30 years ago. Result: I have destroyed a happy little memory I had built and increased my sense of nostalgia/malinconia for the past.

Anyway, back to football, I'm reading of crazy plans to restart when we go on with 400-500-600 people who die every day in Italy. There is a 49-page protocol which has appeared and I consider... premature? (I want to be soft, I have become a softie!)

·
Registered
16,000 Posts
I think it's an abysmal idea to finish the season.

Even leaving to one side the colossal health risk, you still have to wonder how it is logistically possible to complete the league seasons, UEFA competitions and then immediately start a new season with no break....

Clubs lose money? OK, but you are totally sabotaging next season as well. The top European players will have 12 months of uninterrupted football - June 2020 to June 2021 - playing mostly 3 games a week.

Seriously, How can you finish one season in, say, late August (as UEFA wants to do with CL and EL), and then start a new one in the 2nd week of September??

UEFA's crackhead idea of August EL/CL also means that teams who have no obligations there get 4 weeks' rest.

I guess it would at least mean Lazio are favourites for the Scudetto in 2021, unless Inter throw their EL games (highly likely actually).

·
Registered
46,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
The so called "fase 2" will start from May 4. A lot of Italian people will return to their workplaces and football players could be among them (but not for games). The pressure of the sporting authorities on the government for a restart of the leagues remains high.
Football, of all the productive activities, is for sure the one which should be the last to be restarted. When the same Silvio Berlusconi (!!!) wisely suggests that football should restart when things get better, I really wonder what kind of people are in charge of football right now!
Football aside, Fase 2 is risky. I fear it could lead to a dramatic return to fase 1. I don't know the other people of the world, but the Italian people in most of cases are people to whom you cannot give a finger without the worry that they will try to get your arm.

·
Registered
16,000 Posts
Football aside, Fase 2 is risky. I fear it could lead to a dramatic return to fase 1. I don't know the other people of the world, but the Italian people in most of cases are people to whom you cannot give a finger without the worry that they will try to get your arm.
I believe it's the same in most countries Toni. I live between Germany and Ireland these days and I can't say I have really been aware a difference between the two (although I haven't been in Germany for 3 months).

As soon as lockdowns are lifted people in Dublin will be kicking in the door of the local pub, Berliners will be kicking in the door or their local night club/ kebab house.

The questions most peope seem to be asking are not:

How do we adapt? How will things change? Will we have continued phases of lockdown-free momevement, lockdown-free movement, lockdown-free movement?

But rather:

When can I go the gym? May 4th? ? When can I get drunk with 20 people in a bar? I really need that in my life and f**k everyone else's health. When can I eat a cheese burger in a crowded restaurant? It tastes so much better in a crowded restaurant..... ?

Reactions: ToniSamp

·
Registered
46,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
The Italian Cup will restart on June 13 (semifinal) and will be over four days afterwards with the final!

Serie A and serie B will restart on June 20 instead.

I'd like to add: if things won't get ugly in the meanwhile... but the truth is that I believe nothing will be stopped even if things got ugly. At this point, when the common sense has disappeared, my one worry is that the people I care for and I get through it.

·
Registered
59,279 Posts
Why though? There are only 3 games remaining in the Coppa, get them over with before the league resumes. Don't see a problem. You can't say clubs won't be prepared, it's the same situation for everyone. And naturally the matches will be congested. Moreover clubs can make 5 subs now... just play and stop whining.

·
Registered
59,279 Posts
The Italian Cup will restart on June 13 (semifinal) and will be over four days afterwards with the final!

Serie A and serie B will restart on June 20 instead.

I'd like to add: if things won't get ugly in the meanwhile... but the truth is that I believe nothing will be stopped even if things got ugly. At this point, when the common sense has disappeared, my one worry is that the people I care for and I get through it.
If a Serie A player or staff member dies due to Corona, season will be cancelled and chaos will ensue, with blame exchanged between the government and Lega.

·
Registered
13,073 Posts
Another failed experiment for Mario Balotelli, this time at Brescia. I don't know how much of it has to do with racism, but compare for a moment, if you will, Balo's attitude and time at Brescia vs Roby Baggio's. One acted like a spoiled little bitch that was too good, while the other delivered incredible and brave performances for four years at the end of his career, bringing Brescia back into A and even climbing the table a little. We are forced to admit that Balo didn't have what it takes to succeed as a player over years. He will be remembered for his last-second assist to win Man City the most dramatic title ever and a few monster goals in the Euro, but mostly for his poor attitude and lazy work ethic.

·
Administrator
52,912 Posts
He is just an idiotic wasted manchild. Baggio is one of the best footballers EVER to grace a pitch. You cant compare a moron who cant bother showing up to training, walks on the pitch, to a humble genius who had 3-4 near career ending injuries. But despite that litterally played in immense pain injured all the time because of his love of the sport.

Reactions: ToniSamp and Primo

·
Registered
16,000 Posts
He is just an idiotic wasted manchild. Baggio is one of the best footballers EVER to grace a pitch. You cant compare a moron who cant bother showing up to training, walks on the pitch, to a humble genius who had 3-4 near career ending injuries. But despite that litterally played in immense pain injured all the time because of his love of the sport.
Amen

Baggio was a true legend.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wow, I really feel for SPAL's captain, scoring an own goal like that to blow a win over Milan. They'd probably go down anyway, but that's got to be painful

·
Registered
17,129 Posts
The joke penalties continue in almost every game and it doesn't seem limited to handballs.

Either things got out of hand unintentionally with VAR or there is an order to increase scoring in Serie A to make it more marketable. If it's the latter, I understand but at least go by the rules of football ffs.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don't know what you're referring to, but I think Sampdoria should have had a penalty against Udinese that wasn't given.

And surely Udinese's goal was illegal.

81 - 100 of 130 Posts