Xtratime Community banner

Serie A 2008-04-20 Milan vs Reggina

3K views 119 replies 37 participants last post by  bernmilan1 
#1 ·
vs

Venue: San Siro
Date: Sunday, April 20th 2008
Time: 15:00

So Nesta is back and so is Kaladze? Reggina is languishing at the bottom in the relegation zone but we are playing at home. :wallbang: We must win every game from now on.

See less See more
#3 ·
Serie A Week 34 - 20/4/08 (14.00 UK)

Milan - Reggina
Stadio Meazza

There is no room for error for Milan if they are to play in next season’s Champions League, but they can expect spirited resistance as they host a Reggina side fighting to stay afloat.

Time is running out for Carlo Ancelotti and the indignity of missing out on the Champions League is a probability rather than a possibility. Last weekend’s 3-2 defeat against Juventus will have stung the Rossoneri, but they remain four points behind Fiorentina and will have been relieved to see Sampdoria slip up unexpectedly. However, one more defeat is likely to realistically end the world champions’ chances of playing on the biggest stage next term and there is even the galling prospect of having to use the Intertoto Cup as a route to Europe should Udinese come good.

The damage may already be done, but it is crucial that Milan finish strongly, not least to aid their chances of luring talented reinforcements such as Ronaldinho to San Siro in the summer. It is also essential that they win here to give their fans a much-needed boost. The Diavolo have won just five times at home this term – only four teams have fewer wins than that. A summer reshuffle looms, but this ageing Milan needs to find one last effort.

Reggina could just pull off one of their trademark Great Escapes. Just when their days looked numbered, the Calabrians stunned former boss Walter Mazzarri’s high-flying Sampdoria 1-0 and restored hope to the Stadio Granillo faithful. January addition Franco Brienza is working wonders for the Amaranto and has promised to fire them to safety – whatever happens it will surely go to the wire.

Despite the optimism after last weekend, Nevio Orlandi’s minnows are in 18th and won’t be relishing a trip to Milan. Indeed, Reggina don’t relish travelling anywhere – they are yet to record an away win and have only found the net eight times on the road. With just one goal in their last six away games, the plan must be to frustrate their hosts and hope for a moment of magic. Amazingly, Reggina have to play fellow strugglers Parma, Catania, Empoli and Catania in the final weeks, so they will see their trip to the fashion capital as a chance for an unlikely bonus before their four Cup Finals.

Milan didn’t find it easy to secure the points in Week 15 and won 1-0 courtesy of Alberto Gilardino in a game that was rescheduled for their Club World Cup adventure. Reggina beat Milan 2-0 last year and 2-1 in May 2004, but conquering San Siro is a huge task. There has been no draw in the last nine editions of this fixture.

Ancelotti is without the villain of the Juventus game Daniele Bonera, who is suspended for two games for his horror challenge on Momo Sissoko. Midfielder Massimo Ambrosini is also banned. Alexandre Pato is the big absentee as he continues to fight an adductor problem. Pippo Inzaghi is likely to start as a lone striker with Alberto Paloschi and Gilardino on the bench. Marek Jankulovski and Emerson are sidelined.

The visitors are missing Paraguayan midfielder Jose Montiel through injury and Emmanuel Cascione for disciplinary reasons.

Keep an eye on: Pippo Inzaghi (Milan) – The veteran hitman has returned from injury with a bang and has hit two braces in two games with some vintage Super Pippo finishing.

Last season: Milan 3-1 Reggina

Form guide: Milan (L W L W L) Reggina (D D L L W)

Milan (probable): Kalac; Cafu, Nesta, Kaladze, Maldini; Gattuso, Pirlo, Gourcuff, Kaka, Seedorf; Inzaghi

Reggina (probable): Campagnolo; Lanzaro, Cirillo, Aronica; Vigiani, Barreto, Tognozzi, Modesto; Cozza, Brienza, Amoruso

Ref: To follow...

channel4

#7 ·
Gazzetta actually has us playing this :D :

Kalac

Cafu-Nesta-Kaladze-Maldini

Gattuso-Pirlo-Gourcuff

Seedorf-Kaká

Inzaghi​

haha, I will cry of joy if we see that starting line up :proud:

Anyway, Pato should be back for this one.

So I'd be equally pleased if instead of Gourcuff, Alexandre starts.

#8 ·
You would? Well then I don't want to know what you'll do if Gourcuff :eek: and Pato are both on the pitch :eek:

#12 ·
Even without Pato the proposed line-up is more than enough to do the job. Hopefully we see a game with no questionable refereeing, a good team performance and above all 3 points in the bag.

Our midfield will have to be sharp with plenty of good movement. If it's static, their stifling tactics will mean that goals will be very difficult to come by, since they'll sit back and clog the midfield. Forza Milan :cool:.

#19 ·
At 15:32 CET 18th April 2008 Gourcuff :eek: is still in the lineup :eek:

If we had continued to play as we did in the 1st half against Juve then I would've been certain of a victory. But seeing Milan in the 2nd half :( We've had so many must games that I was convinced we would've win and you know how it goes:

Fool me once shame on you, fool me 12 times shame on me.

#21 ·
Since the game on Artemio Franki is tomorrow we should say -lets hope Amauri continues with his great form of late and then we hope to get the 3 points:depress: this weekend if we dont curtail the 4 points that stand between us and prandelli's team,it is going to be inevitable, Milan is facing CSKA(sofia) on Sep.18 -first leg of UEFA cup:depress:

#26 ·
whom do you trust - a lawyer or a doctor?

PS Most of the time in which i had the plesure to be in Manuel's company were in Curva Sud. Now, considering my wife, who was there, got completely shocked by my behaviour saying months after that "You think you know the man you live with as socme nice guy and all and then you get to a football game and see him shouting "Materazzi il figlio di putana" and waving fingers .... you get the point.

#29 ·
Other News Maldini is out injured, and Favalli will prob miss due to the death of his father. RIP.

#31 ·
RIP Favaldini

's Father.

P.S. Happy now Tony :stress:

#36 ·
doubts over Seedorf,also considering Ambrosssini is suspensed,we can switch to 4-3-1-2.Pato trained yesterday cuz he can make the bench.

According GDS,our line ups;,

Kalac
Cafu Nesta Kaladze Mr.Serie C
Gattuso Pirlo Brocchi
Kaka Seedorf
inzaghi.

Bench,Dida,Simic,Digao,Gourcuff,Serginho,Gilardino,Pato.

Batts:Seedorf/Pato/Gilardino %50-%30%20.
Cafu-Simic %70/%30.

#39 ·
I convocati rossoneri:

Dida, Fiori, Kalac, Offredi.

Cafu, Digao, Favalli, Kaladze, Nesta, Serginho, Simic.

Brocchi, Emerson, Gattuso, Gourcuff, Kakà, Pirlo, Seedorf.

Gilardino, Inzaghi, Pato, Paloschi.

The expected formation according to La Gazzetta dello Sport (4-3-2-1):

Kalac

Cafu - Nesta - Kaladze - Favalli

Gattuso - Pirlo - Brocchi

Kakà - Seedorf

Inzaghi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.