Xtratime Community banner

Sergio Romero thread.

1K views 28 replies 5 participants last post by  Slagathor 
#1 ·
While i am shocked Slagathor has not started one for him yet:pp however at AZ we have our own gold medal champion after he helped Argentina to win gold i am so :proud:eek:f him.

He become the best keeper in Holland this season.How do you guys rate him.

#3 ·
I know but he needs a offcial thread mate.I do think Romero will start this season as our keeper.Has Van Gaal said anything saying he start Didulca instead.

#4 ·
Not specifically, but Van Gaal did say that the Olympians would stand a smaller chance of getting into the starting line-up because they would miss a "crucial part of the preparations"

Like I said, Van Gaal hopelessly overestimates the importance of friendlies and pre-season training sessions.

#14 ·
AZ.nl said:
ROMERO EXTENDS DEAL

ALKMAAR - AZ have offered Sergio Romero (21) a new contract until 2013. The Olympic champion had a deal until 2012. Romero has been with AZ since the 2007/2008 season, before that he played for Racing Club in his home country Argentina.

"It's an honor to play for this club", the goalie stated, "I'm happy with my new deal, but for now I'd rather focus on the upcoming match against Heracles."

Manager Marcel Brands is happy with the new deal: "Romero has grown immensely fast in the past 1.5 years. Sergio adapted to the country in what might very well be record time. When it was clear he had firmly positioned himself on top in our keeper's hierarchy, we thought it time to offer him a new and improved contract."

This Saturday, Romero has the chance to set a record. AZ kept a clean sheet in the past five home games. If that is repeated this weekend against Heracles, the standing record of five games will be broken.

:happy: Great news :thumbsup:

#17 · (Edited)
This is the fans' response to the news :D

http://www.sergioromero.net/

AD Sportwereld also had an article about Romero's new contract and it features this awesome quote by Sergio:

",,When I join the Argentinian national team, I don't even have to explain where I play anymore. All these guys play for huge European clubs. I play for 'just' AZ, but now that we're topping the league, we're gaining respect. When we recently came together for the game against Scotland, Javier Zanetti (128 games for Argentina, plays for Inter Milan, ed.) came up to me and said: "How could you draw against Vitesse?" People are keeping track of me now, including Maradona."
Zanetti :D

#18 ·
#19 ·
Made some good saves vs Feyenoord.I am so happy with him a brilliant keeper.Can he be our Argentina number one in the next world cup.

#24 ·
Just a matter of time before he does.Barcelona or Inter would not score past him right now.We keep a clean sheet at home vs those teams:proud:

And the Sergio Romero Appreaction thread is in the young stars forum.I know you want to post something about him Slagathor:thumbsup:

#25 ·
More clean sheets by him this kid is really special one of top 5 keepers this season in Europe just amazing he is:thumbsup::proud:

#27 ·
Longest minutes without conceding a goal in the history Eredivisie:

Heinz Stuy (Ajax) - 1971 = 1.082 min.
Heurelho Gomes (PSV) - 2004 = 981 min.
Heurelho Gomes (PSV) - 2006 = 957 min.
Sergio Romero (AZ) - 2008-09 = 939 min.
Edwin van der Sar (Ajax) - 1995 = 846 min.
Heurelho Gomes (PSV) - 2005 = 817 min.
Eddy Treytel (Feyenoord) - 1971 = 792 min.
Edwin Zoetebier (Vitesse/Feyenoord) - 2001 = 772 min.
Edwin van der Sar (Ajax) - 1997 = 728 min.
Piet Schrijvers (FC Twente) - 1970 = 716 min.

---------------

Romero is curently 4th and need 2 more clean sheets to get Stuy's record.

Next weekend vs Willem II it is possible for him to be #2 beating Gomes.
But for him to beat the record AZ must keep a clean sheet away in Eindhoven.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.