·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hooligans run riot again in soccer's grudge rematch
By Eamonn Duff
May 1, 2005
The Sun-Herald

Rival Sydney soccer fans clashed again yesterday, sparking violence and street riots which police struggled to contain.

The violence occurred after Serbian-supported Bonnyrigg White Eagles had beaten Croatian-backed Sydney United in a NSW Premier League match at Parramatta Stadium.

The last time the two clubs met, on March 13 at Sydney's Edensor Park, six people were arrested and two police officers were injured after 50 rival fans threw flares and other missiles at each other.

The ugly scenes prompted a full-scale inquiry which led to the match yesterday being played at a neutral venue and with a big police presence.

The violence at the state league match came a week before next Saturday's launch of Football Federation Australia's A-League, an eight-team national competition authorities hope will breathe new life into the game.

Police said they made four arrests yesterday, during and after the match.

Before the final whistle a fan was arrested for assaulting a rival fan and another held for malicious damage.

A police spokeswoman said two men were charged with throwing objects at the Sydney United fans' bus.

After the game, about 500 Bonnyrigg fans were allowed out of the ground - and straight over to Sydney United supporters, who had been segregated on the opposite side of the ground.

The Bonnyrigg fans were to have been kept behind for a full 15 minutes after the game so their rivals could disperse without trouble. Parramatta Local Area Commander Geoff Beresford confirmed that a delay with the Sydney United supporters' coach arriving and leaving the stadium had created the problems.

"To be quite honest, nobody wanted that bus out of there more than we did," Superintendent Beresford said last night. "But it was out of our control and at the same time holding the Bonnyrigg fans inside the ground was becoming problematic; had we held them any longer they might have damaged the stadium."

The ugly scenes started with a distress flare being thrown from inside the Sydney United supporters' bus. But then those inside the vehicle were all forced to duck for cover as missiles rained down on the coach, smashing several windows.

Police officers were forced to crash tackle several fans trying to get closer to the coach. At one point a firecracker was thrown into a group of six mounted police who struggled desperately to maintain control as more hooligans rushed past.

Police seized weapons, including a timber post studded with nails.

A-League organisers have brought in consultants to ensure the sport's relaunch is not marred by hooliganism.

The first Bonnyrigg-Sydney clash was followed by a riot in Melbourne between fans of Macedonian origin who follow Preston and supporters of Greek-backed South Melbourne.

Football Federation Australia head of operations Matt Carroll said: "We are taking security advice but we don't think it's going to be a major issue."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Football-hooligans-run-riot/2005/04/30/1114635788764.html

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Australians must understand that football and hooliganism sadly co-exist.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Indeed! :rollani: Although, I was suprised they let fans in, especially in light of recent events. Still, it's reassuring to know that the Victorian federation is somewhat more intelligent than their counterparts north of the Murray :nervous: . But hey what's new? :D

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Those police should have given those d!ckheads a good beating.

·
Premium Member
27,260 Posts
We just can't stop giving to the community. Potential visa applicants from Serbia and Croatia, now's the moment - APPLY NOW! :D

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Wow u guys down there follow yuor football like it was a professional team. That would of been great(except for the fights) if we had that in canada

·
Registered
504 Posts
Fleka said:
I hope that this does not continually happen in Australia :sigh: Especially this year with the A-legue kicking off.

The media here are crap!! They look for any opportunity to put down our game, especially in Sydney with the rugby league journalists.

I must say that I have friends of both Croatian and Serbian decent, and they were very saddened by Saturday's events.

·
Registered
478 Posts
It is good to see that so far all the teams in the A league have removed any links to any particular ethnic background, ie, Sydney FC not Sydney Croatia etc etc. I think that is a positive step that will hopefully encourage support from a wider arena. As for the game on the Weekend, it was a disgrace. As in Europe those ********s were not there for the football, they were there for a fight.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sydney United banned after football riots
May 4, 2005 - 12:11PM

Sydney United football club will miss the NSW premier league finals after being suspended for four matches over fan violence on March 13, Soccer NSW said today.

The club will be unable to compete in the rest of the NSW Premier League Season, next year's pre-season or in a semi-final in the Continental Tyres Cup competition.

The ban comes after an independent report into the clash between fans of the Croatian-backed club and the Serbian-backed Bonnyrigg White Eagles.

The report, tabled in NSW Parliament today, found the main responsibility for the clash lay with Sydney United fans and United officials had failed to properly secure their ground, where the game was played, prior to the match.

Soccer NSW is considering a recommendation that Bonnyrigg be fined and warned that a repetition of violent behaviour will be met with suspension or expulsion.

All matches involving Bonnyrigg will be suspended while the issue is considered.

Sydney United was criticised in the report for failing to identify fans who were troublemakers at the match.

"The lunatic fringe whose conduct brought the club's suspension should hang their heads in shame," NSW Soccer president Tom Doumanis said in a statement today.

Two days after the clash, shots were fired at the Serbian National Centre at Bonnyrigg in south-western Sydney, and a car was firebombed in the carpark of a Serbian club in Edensor Park.

Up to 100 fans of the two clubs clashed again on Saturday after a match in which Bonnyrigg beat Sydney United 4-1.

NSW Police Minster Carl Scully today said laws would be introduced to ban fans from sporting matches who were convicted of violent acts at, or in connection with, matches.

"It's time strong measures were taken to stamp out crowd violence at soccer matches in NSW," Mr Scully told reporters.

·
Registered
478 Posts
It is good to see they are doing something about it. I feel sorry for the players on both side who probally don't like the actions of the thugs, but something must be done to try and stop it. A neutral venue did not work, so it's time to up the options.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Fleka said:
It does not mean we have to like it or just put up with it. It must be stopped. Maybe it is ok to act like this in their home land but not in Aust. If they don't like it here, simple - go home.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ravin said:
It does not mean we have to like it or just put up with it. It must be stopped. Maybe it is ok to act like this in their home land but not in Aust. If they don't like it here, simple - go home.
violence yes, it shouldn't be tolerated...but whats really lame in Australia is the way cops carry on when a few ppl have flares or something small like that, and they jump on em as if they are the biggest criminals...they should learn to not be such communists and chill out abit...that in fact creates more violence.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
ravin said:
But they are home - I bet a lot of these turbo nationalists were born in Australia. I also bet some have trouble speaking their parents' native language...

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
No Andrija, most of them are recent refugees from the Krajina area.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Drei said:
violence yes, it shouldn't be tolerated...but whats really lame in Australia is the way cops carry on when a few ppl have flares or something small like that, and they jump on em as if they are the biggest criminals...they should learn to not be such communists and chill out abit...that in fact creates more violence.
I am glad the COPS jump on them when they have got flares- it is what makes this country a good place to live. Flares - football sorry but I don't see the connection. By the way how is throwing a flare outside the football ground got anything to do with being a fan of football.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ravin said:
I am glad the COPS jump on them when they have got flares- it is what makes this country a good place to live. Flares - football sorry but I don't see the connection. By the way how is throwing a flare outside the football ground got anything to do with being a fan of football.

ummm okay, and which makes sporting atmosphere's so crap and boring here....

have u been to a Seria A game? go see the amount of flares and colour the crowds make there....u can not compare no aussie rugby league, afl, b-ball or football game in aust to that..even in Romania when i was there 40,000 at a Poli Timisoara game, no incident with the Police or nothing and their was pleanty of flares, fire works...and specify what u think makes this a great country? if its about not having flares on the ground then ummm..... :dielaugh:

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
ravin loves the atmosphere. He just won't admit it.

·
Registered
40,685 Posts
Yeah, I hear what you're saying Drei. I'm big on flares as well, I think they add a lot to the general atmosphere of a match. Of course, I don't agree with throwing them on other people, but as long as they're used in a proper way, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed.

I also never understood why they banned the megaphone in Serbia. :confused:

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
bet a lot of these turbo nationalists were born in Australia.
As in Turbo folk? :confused:

It does not mean we have to like it or just put up with it. It must be stopped. Maybe it is ok to act like this in their home land but not in Aust. If they don't like it here, simple - go home
..and while we're at it can we do likewise to the fans of Canterbury & Parramatta in the NRL?? Thought not. :rollani: Typival "new football" fan comment. :nono:

I also never understood why they banned the megaphone in Serbia
So the long suffering folk there don't have to hear the bollocky views of the Delije. :angel:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts