Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread got an unexpected amount of activity last season and the draw has been made for all of our clubs in Europe in this summer's qualifiers.

Champions League

1st Round:

Crvena zvezda v Spartaks Jurmala

2nd Round:

Crvena zvezda v APOEL/Suduva

Europa League

1st Round:

Partizan v Rudar Pljevlja
Spartak v Coleraine
Radnicki Nis v UE Sant Julià (AND) / Gzira United (MLT)

2nd Round

Partizan v Cefn Druids (WAL) / Trakai (LTU) / Irtysh
Spartak v Sparta Prague
Ferencváros (HUN) / Maccabi Tel-Aviv (ISR) v Radnički Niš (SRB)

Partizan have a decent draw until the 3rd round it would appear. We played Irtysh last year.

Radnicki and Spartak should probably get past the first round but then they'll struggle to do anything against the likes of Sparta and Maccabi.

·
Zeko lopove...
7,464 Posts
Summary Thus Far -

Champions League

1st Round:

Crvena Zvezda vs. FK Spartaks Jūrmala (Champions of Latvia)

1st Leg Away - 0:0
2nd Leg Home - 2:0

Crvena Zvezda advance 2-0 on aggregate.

2nd Round:

Crvena zvezda v FK Sūduva Marijampolė (Champions of Lithuania)

1st Leg Home - 3:0
2nd Leg Away - 0:2

Crvena Zvezda advance 5-0 on aggregate.

3rd Round:

Crvena zvezda v Spartak Trnava (Champions of Slovakia)

1st Leg Home - To be played - Aug 7
2nd Leg Away - To be played - Aug 14

4th Round:

Crvena Zvezda/Spartak Trnava v one of PSV Eindhoven, Red Bull Salzburg/Shkendija, AEK Athens/Celtic or Dinamo Zagreb/Astana

To be drawn on Monday.

·
Zeko lopove...
7,464 Posts
Summary Thus Far -

Europa League

1st Round:

Partizan vs. Rudar Plevlja (Montenegro)

1st Leg Away - 0:3
2nd Leg Home - 3:0

Partizan advance 6-0 on aggregate.

---------------------------------------------

Spartak Subotica vs. Coleraine (Northern Ireland)

1st Leg Home - 1:1
2nd Leg Away - 0:2

Spartak Subotica advance 3-1 on aggregate.

Radnicki Nis vs. Gżira United (Malta)

1st Leg Home - 4:0
2nd Leg Away - 0:1

Radnicki Nis advance 5-0 on aggregate.

2nd Round:

Partizan vs. FK Trakai (Lithuania)

1st Leg Home - 1:0
2nd Leg Away - 1:1

Partizan advance 2-1 on aggregate.

Spartak Subotica vs. Sparta Prague (Czech Republic)

1st Leg Home - 2:0
2nd Leg Away - 2:1

Spartak Subotica advance 3-2 on aggregate.

Radnicki Nis vs. Maccabi Tel Aviv (Israel)

1st Leg Away - 2:0
2nd Leg Home - 2:2

Radnicki Nis eliminated 2-4 on aggregate.

3rd Round:

Partizan vs. Nordsjælland (Denmark)

1st Leg Away - To be played - Aug 9
2nd Leg Home - To be played - Aug 16

Spartak Subotica vs. Brøndby IF (Denmark)

1st Leg Home - To be played - Aug 9
2nd Leg Away - To be played - Aug 16

4th Round:

To be determined.

·
Zeko lopove...
7,464 Posts
Crazy scenes as Spartak Subotica probably have the greatest result in their club history by beating Sparta Prague over 2 legs, 3-2 on aggregate. Spartak rode their luck on occasion from what I saw in the first leg in Novi Sad, but ultimately were the more clinical side as they took most of their chances. Were it not for some poor finishing the first leg could have been a much higher scoring affair for both sides.

This has to hurt Sparta Prague, as they've now lost two years in a row in the Europa League qualifiers against a Serbian side. Their fans were rightfully upset, however some invaded the pitch during the 2nd half which will surely spell a UEFA punishment.

Well done to Spartak! The two remaining Serbian sides face two of the four remaining Danish sides in the Europa League third round of qualifying. For those not able to catch the Spartak matches, here are the highlights from both legs.

1st Leg -

2nd Leg -

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
The ref gifted Subotica this tie, plain and simple. Sparta was in complete control at 2-0 and should have been up 5-0 (hit the bar, goal post, disallowed goal, etc). Then, Radakovic makes a mistake with a clearance and instinctively puts his hands on the player, Subotica striker goes down right away and the ref falls for it...Not a penalty in the context of this match or tie...Ultras got mad and started a riot on the pitch, that stupidity didn't help either...

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was a clear push to be fair. It was soft but once a player does that then you’re running the risk.

Well done to Spartak, great achievement whilst Radnicki also put up quite a fight but unfortunately conceded two poor goals and left themselves too much to do.

The Danish sides will be quite a test for both Partizan and Spartak however.

·
Registered
40,649 Posts
The thing is, Sparta should have never been in that situation. This Spartak side is overachieving right now and you have to keep in mind this is a club with extremely limited capabilities. Credit to them for the heart they showed and best of luck to Sparta in the future. Foreigners (too many of them in this case) don't always bring results.

Radnicki at least put a fight and got some points for the UEFA rankings. Not much more was to be expected. As long as they keep developing and create some consistency, things can only get better. We need more strong teams in our league and they at least have that potential.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely Krle.

There’s talk of us breaking into the top 20 this season in terms of leagues and hopefully the 3 remaining clubs can get as many points as possible.

Whilst Zvezda look well placed currently to at least make group stages (also read we could be in the third pot in the Europa League) I’m not sure whether Partizan can qualify. As far as I’m aware they’ll be unseeded in the play off round should they make it that far.

Looks like they’ve just sacked Djukic though. Bata Mirkovic appointed with Gordon Petric as his assistant.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
It was a clear push to be fair. It was soft but once a player does that then you’re running the risk.

Well done to Spartak, great achievement whilst Radnicki also put up quite a fight but unfortunately conceded two poor goals and left themselves too much to do.

The Danish sides will be quite a test for both Partizan and Spartak however.
IMO the ref has to be consistent. There were a couple of instances where a contact was made on Sparta player in the box and PK could be conceivably given but wasn't. Right before the goal Sparta had a goal disallowed from a corner so the ref clearly favored one side by giving this penalty, not fair. Sparta had a complete mental collapse in the 1st leg. Ex-Zvezda players, Plavsic and Kanga were really disappointing. I am not a big fan of Kanga, he likes to be a leader, always asking for the ball but he tends to be a selfish player who doesn't trust certain teammates and creates divisions in the team, chemistry certainly was non-existent

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kanga is an extremely frustrating player.

He can go from brilliance to pure idiocy in seconds. Although he played a huge part in us making the EL last season, he practically stopped playing after the Krasnodar game.

Always felt his decision making was poor. Very rarely releases the ball when he should.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Yeah, he scored a stunning goal against Sparta but what people do not see is for every spectacular volley he takes 20 speculative shots that cost the team valuable possession. Feel bad for Radakovic, he made a stupid mistake on a simple clearance. He was one of the best stoppers in Czech league last season and probably a candidate for Serbian NT. Now that might be over for him...

·
Zeko lopove...
7,464 Posts
For all the flack that Kanga gets in regards to his selfishness, he's a pretty good player in my opinion. The coach just needs to know how to use him.

The main issue I saw in the first game was Kanga's dropping to receive the ball in midfield. We had the same frustration with him in his first season at Zvezda under our old coach. He needs to be in the playmaker role more and a central midfield role less. I was surprised by the decision to play him next to Frydek in midfield this past game.

One of the issues you have is that you also have Stanciu, who's a natural 10 so it's hard for me to see sometimes how you can play with both.

Kanga is at his best when he is supporting the striker and playing the ball to the wings in between the channels. I thought he did that reasonably well in the first game in Novi Sad. Even barring the 1-2 selfish shots he had, he had plenty of excellent balls and switches of play. It was really your forwards and wingers who let you down, as they missed a ton of chances. I honestly have no idea how you did not score in the 2nd half in Novi Sad. Sural, Vukadinovic and Tetteh were very poor with their finishing in the first leg I thought. That was ultimately what caused the loss over two legs.

I get the frustration with the referee. Believe me, I know exactly the feeling you're talking about. It's just a shame Sparta let it come to that point. I've got nothing but respect for your club and fans, and after our exchange last season most Zvezda fans will never forget Prague and how well we were received, especially by the Sparta fans.

I think your club has the tools to be a really good team, you just need a coach who can put it all together. That's difficult when you have extreme players, but our coach did it last season and we made the final 32 of the Europa League with Kanga.

Also Dule - I think you forget how well he played in Cologne. Was he selfish at times? Yes, but his quality and our defensive shape were the two things that took us into the EL.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
For all the flack that Kanga gets in regards to his selfishness, he's a pretty good player in my opinion. The coach just needs to know how to use him.

The main issue I saw in the first game was Kanga's dropping to receive the ball in midfield. We had the same frustration with him in his first season at Zvezda under our old coach. He needs to be in the playmaker role more and a central midfield role less. I was surprised by the decision to play him next to Frydek in midfield this past game.

One of the issues you have is that you also have Stanciu, who's a natural 10 so it's hard for me to see sometimes how you can play with both.

Kanga is at his best when he is supporting the striker and playing the ball to the wings in between the channels. I thought he did that reasonably well in the first game in Novi Sad. Even barring the 1-2 selfish shots he had, he had plenty of excellent balls and switches of play. It was really your forwards and wingers who let you down, as they missed a ton of chances. I honestly have no idea how you did not score in the 2nd half in Novi Sad. Sural, Vukadinovic and Tetteh were very poor with their finishing in the first leg I thought. That was ultimately what caused the loss over two legs.

I get the frustration with the referee. Believe me, I know exactly the feeling you're talking about. It's just a shame Sparta let it come to that point. I've got nothing but respect for your club and fans, and after our exchange last season most Zvezda fans will never forget Prague and how well we were received, especially by the Sparta fans.

I think your club has the tools to be a really good team, you just need a coach who can put it all together. That's difficult when you have extreme players, but our coach did it last season and we made the final 32 of the Europa League with Kanga.

Also Dule - I think you forget how well he played in Cologne. Was he selfish at times? Yes, but his quality and our defensive shape were the two things that took us into the EL.
I don't think Kanga had a good 1st game or tie for that matter. He was dropping way too far back to be useful in attack and effectively eliminated any contribution from our DM Kulhanek, who was way too timid to play forward (in 2nd game he was replaced by Frydek), was impatient and got caught in possession too many times triggering unnecessary trouble for the back line. Our wingers were awful in 1st match (Plavsic and Ben Chaim) and the lone striker Tetteh is simply not good enough at converting chances, he's better on the wing where he can use his technique/strength to get by defenders and deliver crosses or smart passes to teammates. In 2nd match, our wingers improved (Plavsic was better and Tetteh was used on the wing) but still we should have scored 3 goals by HT: we had 33 shots and 30 corners in these 2 matches, 2 goals is a very poor return...

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And if you don’t put your chances away you can only really blame yourselves rather than any refereeing bias.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Partizan, if they get through, will play Besiktas or LASK

If Spartak can upset Brondby they’ll play the winner of Lech or Genk.

Can’t see either of them getting through the 3rd round never mind the play offs but it is football.

·
Zeko lopove...
7,464 Posts
So to summarize -

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE -

3rd Round:

Crvena zvezda v Spartak Trnava (Champions of Slovakia)

1st Leg Home - To be played - Aug 7
2nd Leg Away - To be played - Aug 14

4th Round:

Crvena Zvezda/Spartak Trnava vs. Redbull Salzburg(Champions of Austria)/KF Shkendija (Champions of Macedonia)

1st Leg Home - To be played - Aug 21
2nd Leg Away - To be played - Aug 28

EUROPA LEAGUE -

3rd Round:

Partizan vs. Nordsjælland (Denmark)

1st Leg Away - To be played - Aug 9
2nd Leg Home - To be played - Aug 16

Spartak Subotica vs. Brøndby IF (Denmark)

1st Leg Home - To be played - Aug 9
2nd Leg Away - To be played - Aug 16

4th Round:

Partizan/Nordsjælland (Denmark) vs. Besiktas (Turkey)/LASK (Austria)

1st Leg Home - To be played - Aug 23
2nd Leg Away - To be played - Aug 30

Spartak Subotica/Brøndby IF (Denmark) vs. Lech Poznan (Poland)/Genk (Belgium)

1st Leg Away - To be played - Aug 23
2nd Leg Home - To be played - Aug 30

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Partizan all but secured to go through at present with a 2-0 lead away in Denmark, Gomes and Zakaric with the goals.

Spartak 0-0 after 20 minutes.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
0-1, Spartak had a couple of great chances beforehand as well...

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Partizan with a 2-1 to take back to BG, Spartak 0-2 down and pretty much out.

Besiktas won 1-0 vs LASK at home, not a given that they'll go through.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Partizan win 3-2 and go through to play Besiktas who got a late goal to take them through on away goals.

Spartak conceded a late goal to lose 2-1 in Denmark that ends their journey for this season. Did better than expected but it's a shame they couldn't have at least got a draw for the national coefficient.

Not sure how the rest of the countries are doing around us at the minute. I believe the Croatian clubs are defending a lot of points this season but think Dinamo is the only one left now?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts