Xtratime Community banner

481 - 500 of 515 Posts

·
Registered
13,468 Posts
Mićo Ljubibratić

Mihajlo "Mićo" Ljubibratić (1839 – February 26, 1889) was a Serbian military commander, Orthodox priest, writer and translator that participated in the many uprisings in the Herzegovina region. He was the first person in the Balkans to translate the Koran into Serbo-Croatian.

Mihajlo Ljubibratić was born in Ljubovo, Trebinje. In the Herzegovinian Uprising (1857–1862), he joined Luka Vukalović. He supported Garibaldi in the Italian revolution. After the fall of the uprising (1862), he goes to Serbia where he continues organizing the liberation of Balkan peoples, also seeking to add Slavic Muslims in the bands. In the Herzegovina Uprising (1875-1878), the Serbian government, which dare not to publicly assist because of international pressure, secretly sends Ljubibratić among others to lead the uprising. In March 1876, he fights in Bosnia, but is captured and interrogated by the Austrians. In March 1877, he returns to Serbia, and upon the Herzegovina-Boka Uprising (1882), he devotes himself to establish an administrative body and the cooperation of Serbs and Muslims against the Austro-Hungarians.

·
Registered
13,468 Posts
Omar Pasha

Omar Pasha Latas (1806–1871) was an Ottoman field marshal and governor. He was born in Austrian territory, to Serbian Orthodox Christian parents, and was initially an Austrian soldier. When faced with the charges of embezzlement, he fled to Ottoman Bosnia and converted to Islam, and then joined the Ottoman army where he quickly climbed in ranks. Latas crushed several rebellions throughout the Empire, and was a commander in the Crimean War, where he won outstanding victories at Silistra and Eupatoria and participated in the siege of Sevastopol.

Omar Pasha was born Mihajlo Latas, an ethnic Serb and Orthodox Christian, in Janja Gora, at the time part of the Croatian Military Frontier of the Austrian Empire (in modern Plaški, Lika region, Croatia).

Mihajlo escaped charges of embezzlement, having stolen 180 florins from the military safe, by fleeing to the Ottoman Bosnia Eyalet in 1823.

After escaping to Bosnia, Latas was offered a position as tutor to the children of a Turkish merchant, on condition that he converted from Orthodoxy to Islam and was circumcised. A necessary condition to fulfill in order to get off the streets, it was a huge cultural step that led naturally to his decision that his future lay with the Ottomans.

The big break came for the newly named Omar when the family moved to Constantinople. By astute networking and doubtless exploiting his curiosity value as an ex-European military man, he was appointed lecturer at the Turkish Military Academy. With this exposure he shone enough to be snapped up as ADC to the Polish–Ottoman General Wojciech Chrzanowski, who was engaged in the re-organization of the Ottoman Army after the defeat of the Janissaries.

Now a Major, Omar completed a mapping assignment in Bulgaria and the Danube territories, gaining detailed knowledge of the ground which was to serve him well in the future. Chrzanowski also milked his ideas for re-organizing the Army; in return he smoothed the way for Omar's introduction into Turkish society. He thereby met and married a rich heiress Adviye Hanım, the start of his meteoric rise in Ottoman military circles. There is no doubt that Omar's marriage had opened all the right doors for him, but equally no doubt that he proved equal to the challenges of high command which resulted. He became writing-master to the Ottoman heir, Abd-ul-Medjid, and on the succession of the latter in 1839 was made a colonel. He was shortly afterwards appointed Military Governor of Constantinople. His only daughter Saffet Hanım married Mustafa Celalettin Pasha.
Lord Raglan, Omar Pasha and Marshal Pelissier during the Crimean War, 1854–1856, photographed by Roger Fenton.

In 1840-41 he led a successful expedition to quell a revolt in Syria, and in 1842 was Governor of the Tripoli Eyalet (Lebanon). He won distinction in suppressing the Albanian Revolt of 1843–44, led by local Muslim aristocrats. There followed the expedition to Kurdistan following the Massacres of Badr Khan (1846). After the Hungarian Revolution of 1848, Omar Pasha was put in command of the Ottoman forces in Moldavia and Wallachia. His firm and effective handling of a powder keg situation involving potential confrontation with the Russian and Austrian armies demonstrated that he possessed considerable diplomatic skills. There followed his command in Bosnia (1850) where he executed Ali-paša Rizvanbegović of Stolac - who had himself earlier defended Ottoman power during an earlier revolt, but then started to build up an independent power base. Omar Pasha executed, plundered and abolished the respected historical aristocracy of Muslim faith, in the interest of buttressing Ottoman central power. This was followed by a command in the Principality of Montenegro (1852). His chief services were rendered when the Crimean War broke out. He successfully defended Kalafat in 1853, entered Bucharest in 1854, and defeated 40,000 Russians next year at Eupatoria in the Crimea. A later achievement was his capture of Cetinje, Montenegro, during the Montenegrin–Ottoman War (1861–62), considered a difficult feat.

A clear and precise military thinker, Omar Pasha took bold decisions and relentlessly followed them through. Although he had a reputation as a strict and ruthless disciplinarian, he was revered and respected by his men. A true professional, while the other allies struggled to come to grips with local campaigning conditions, he had seen it all too often before. Perhaps for that reason the allied troops found his expression cold and uninterested when seated on his horse plodding round their lines.

·
Registered
13,468 Posts
Athos Greece | Света Гора - Грчка

abIuaJKlefM

·
Registered
13,468 Posts
Ethno village Stanisici - Bijeljina

At the exit of the third kilometer from Bijeljina to Pavlović bridge is the Ethno village "Stanišići." Ethno village "Stanišići", removed from the present time and space, takes us back to our ancestors and nature, and awakens in us the admiration of the simplicity of the former way of life. It is a rest for the eyes and soul, where man becomes nobler and wiser listening to the murmur of the brook and the spin of the mill.

Ethno village "Stanišići" was established in 2003 thanks to the inspiration of Boris Stanišić. Over several years he traveled around the Serbian villages in central Bosnia in search of old houses and objects that preserve the idea of a time and culture of living of the late 19th and 20th century. The result is an authentic mountain village in the middle of the Semberija plains.

The village is now divided into two units, one showcasing the secular life and it is built out of wood. It consists of wooden houses - chalets with furniture that belonged to them for centuries. Houses are linked by paved stone paths, and in the center of the village are two lakes. The second unit is of a spiritual character and it features medieval architecture built in stone, which is in fact a set of replicas of historical and religious significance.

The village consists of several mills, dairies, blacksmith shops, a stone well, a barn and authentic wooden houses, showing furniture and costumes. The mill potočar was designed in 1937 and is still in use like the mill from 1917 where flour for bread that is served in the restaurant is ground. Inside is everything a miller found necessary in order to stay in it during the grain grind season. The dairy dates from 1948. It is a small building for milk processing and storage of dairy products, with all wooden containers. Dairies were well ventilated and clean, and only women who worked in them were able to enter.

V69bg7-Q-4s

·
Registered
13,468 Posts
Vlasinka kolo - jezero Klinje

Jezero Klinje se nalazi u neposrednoj blizini gradića Gacko na istoku Republike Srpske i BiH.

nboVZAAeCME

·
Registered
147 Posts
Interesting article on Santa Claus/St. Nicholas and how a fresco from around 1392 in a Serbian church is apparently the first depiction of him on a chimney and sending presents down through it:

While the character of Santa Claus draws from numerous mythical sources, his namesake is St. Nicholas, the 4th-century Bishop of Myra, an ancient town in what is now Turkey. In the most famous tale involving St. Nicholas, the bishop anonymously delivers bags of gold to a poor family to use as dowries for their daughters, keeping the father from selling the girls into prostitution. Early versions of the story have the saint tossing the money through the window—appropriate, given that St. Nicholas lived during the 3rd and 4th centuries, 900 years before the chimney. But as the story changed over time, St. Nicholas began dropping the gold down the chimney. A 14th-century fresco in a Serbian church shows the chimney had become part of the legend by the early Renaissance period.
Why Does Santa Claus Come Down the Chimney? | Mental Floss

·
Registered
13,468 Posts
Na današnji dan pre 75 godina umro je Nikola Tesla

Sedmog januara pre 75 godina umro je Nikola Tesla, jedan od najvećih umova 20. veka i naučnik čiji su nas pronalasci uveli u novi milenijum.

IZVOR: TANJUG NEDELJA, 7.01.2018.

Foto: Gettyimages

Bez Tesle ne bismo danas imali mobilnu telefoniju i internet, ni radio, ni televiziju, planetarnu elektronsku mrežu, upravljanje na daljinu, helikoptere, fontane, kućne aparate, ali i turbine koje proizvode struju...

Izumeo je i obrtno magnetno polje, indukcioni motor..., zvanično je registrovano oko 300 njegovih patenata u 26 zemalja, i to pre nego što je izumeo planetarnu razmenu energije i povezivanje ljudi, a najveći broj pantenata ostvario je u SAD, gde je živeo 60 godina.

Po njemu je nazvana jedinica za merenje visokog napona i jedinica jačine magnetnog polja, a Teslina zaostavština je 2003. upisana u registar Uneska.

Tesla je umro je u snu, na Božić 1943. godine u hotelu "Njujorker" na Menhetnu, a vest je objavljena dva dana kasnije, kada je njegovo telo pronađeno u hotelskoj sobi.

Urna sa Teslinim pepelom postavljena je najpre na groblju u Njujorku, a u Beograd je preneta 1951. gde se i danas čuva u njegovom Muzeju.

Spomenici Tesli nalaze se u Beogradu (dva), u Užicu i SAD i to na Nijagarinim vodopadima, na Menhetnu, u porti crkve Svetog Save u Njujorku i u Silicijumskoj dolini.

https://www.b92.net/zivot/vesti.php?yyyy=2018&mm=01&dd=07&nav_id=1344449

·
Registered
13,468 Posts
Planine Zapadne Srbije - Mountains of western Serbia (4K)

5spU_Lpm4QQ

·
Registered
13,468 Posts
Srpski junaci srednjeg veka: Car Dušan

Svi znamo za Dušanov zakonik. Znamo da je bio prvi srpski car, kao i da je vladao najvećim carstvom u našoj istoriji... Ali ko je bio Dušan dok nije postao "Silni"?
Zašto nikada nije proglašen za sveca? Koliko je njegova "prva dama" uticala na stvaranje srpskog carstva i da li bi sudbina Balkana i Evrope bila drugačija da je Dušan duže živeo?

Car Dušan, biografska priča o najslavnijem vladaru ovih prostora.

Label and copyright: Radio televizija Srbije

niwrH61-F8Q

9BxpFvqLdDg

·
Registered
13,468 Posts
Srpski junaci srednjeg veka: Vuk Branković

Nedostatak izvora osudio je mnoge događaje na Kosovu da ostanu "večitom tajnom". Ali držanje Vuka Brankovića to ipak nije. Imena mnogih srpskih velikana uzdignuta su junaštvom o kome se uči i pripoveda vekovima u nazad. Ipak, ne postoji ličnost naših predanja za koju se više vezuje pojam izdaje od Vuka Brankovića.Koji su pravi motivi i razlozi da se pojam izdaje tako duboko ukoreni u našoj svesti i veže za njegovo ime? Kome se zapravo zamerio Vuk Branković, jedan od vitezova kneza Lazara?

Label and copyright: Radio televizija Srbije

Zabranjeno svako kopiranje video i/ili audio snimaka i postavljanje na druge kanale!

zAWaBg6elhA

·
Registered
13,468 Posts
Česma Mehmed Paše Sokolovića

The fountain was put up by Mehmed Pasha Sokolovic (1505-1579) in the second half of the sixteenth century. In the seventieth century, during his visit to Belgrade, Elvija Celebija wrote down the inscription he saw on the fountain, saying: “Come forth bey, if you wish to drink from a heavenly wealth”. During the Austrian reconstruction of the Belgrade’s Fortress, between 1717 and 1739, the trench where the fountain was placed was filled up in order to create a passage to the Lower Town from the Defterdar’s Gate. After this, its appearance changed greatly. The fountain was unearthed in 1938, when parts of the façade were discovered and surrounding area renovated. In 1989 conservation and restoration works were carried out, and after necessary adaptation works in 2006 were done the fountain is again operational.

·
Registered
13,468 Posts
Godišnjica ubistva čoveka koji je hteo da spreči rat

Danas se navršava 27 godina od ubistva Josipa Rajl Kira, načelnika Policijske uprave u Osijeku, koji je ostao poznat pokušavajući da umiri zaraćene strane.

B92 1.07.2018.

Početkom rata u Hrvatskoj, ubijen je jer je sprovodio mirnu politiku za rešavanje problema sa Srbima, što nije odgovaralo tadašnjem hrvatskom poglavaru Branimiru Glavašu, zbog čega je na Kira izvršen atentat 1. jula 1991.

Kir je, u vreme kada je ubijen, pokušavao da pregovorima sa Srbima iz istočne Slavonije dođe do rešenja.

Njega je ubio hrvatski policajac Antun Gudelj, koji je na suđenju nekoliko puta ponovio da se ne oseća krivim.

Gudelj je osuđen na 20 godina zatvora, ali je pomilovan 1997. godine, u sklopu opšte amnestije.

Pošto je Gudelj otišao u Australiju, Ustavni sud Hrvatske je 2001. naložio ponovno suđenje, pa je Zagreb zatražo izručenje, što se dogodilo u julu 2007. godine, te je on 2009. godine ponovo osuđen na 20 godina zatvora.

I pored toga, uprkos suđenju, ubistvo nikada nije rasvetljeno do kraja. Neki smatraju da Josip Rajhl Kir nije ubijen slučajno, neki zato što se protivio ratu, ali se tvrdi da je njegovo ubistvo organizovao ekstremni ogranak HDZ-a u Osijku, navodno u dogovoru sa Zagrebom.

DLa7wtrQuAI

https://www.b92.net/info/vesti/index.php?yyyy=2018&mm=07&dd=01&nav_category=64&nav_id=1150282

·
Registered
147 Posts
Because Tudjman/the Croatian government (and its backers in the west - Germany, U.S., Britain), and others did not want peace. They wanted an excuse to remove the Croatian Serb population.

Godišnjica ubistva čoveka koji je hteo da spreči rat

Danas se navršava 27 godina od ubistva Josipa Rajl Kira, načelnika Policijske uprave u Osijeku, koji je ostao poznat pokušavajući da umiri zaraćene strane.

B92 1.07.2018.

Početkom rata u Hrvatskoj, ubijen je jer je sprovodio mirnu politiku za rešavanje problema sa Srbima, što nije odgovaralo tadašnjem hrvatskom poglavaru Branimiru Glavašu, zbog čega je na Kira izvršen atentat 1. jula 1991.

Kir je, u vreme kada je ubijen, pokušavao da pregovorima sa Srbima iz istočne Slavonije dođe do rešenja.

Njega je ubio hrvatski policajac Antun Gudelj, koji je na suđenju nekoliko puta ponovio da se ne oseća krivim.

Gudelj je osuđen na 20 godina zatvora, ali je pomilovan 1997. godine, u sklopu opšte amnestije.

Pošto je Gudelj otišao u Australiju, Ustavni sud Hrvatske je 2001. naložio ponovno suđenje, pa je Zagreb zatražo izručenje, što se dogodilo u julu 2007. godine, te je on 2009. godine ponovo osuđen na 20 godina zatvora.

I pored toga, uprkos suđenju, ubistvo nikada nije rasvetljeno do kraja. Neki smatraju da Josip Rajhl Kir nije ubijen slučajno, neki zato što se protivio ratu, ali se tvrdi da je njegovo ubistvo organizovao ekstremni ogranak HDZ-a u Osijku, navodno u dogovoru sa Zagrebom.

https://www.b92.net/info/vesti/index.php?yyyy=2018&mm=07&dd=01&nav_category=64&nav_id=1150282

·
Registered
6,260 Posts
From Immigrant to Inventor: The Great Serbian-American Scientist Michael Pupin on the Value of a Penniless Immigrant Boy Full of Promise

“Society has discovered discrimination as the great social weapon by which one may kill men without any bloodshed,” Hannah Arendt wrote in her timeless, increasingly timely meditation on the immigrant experience and the meaning of “refugee.” But discrimination is also a self-inflicted wound by which the society perpetrating it bleeds internally — not only because it lacerates the moral fabric of the culture, but because it is a means by which a society cheats itself of the vital polyphony of voices necessary for symphonic polity.

That is what the great Serbian-American physicist and chemist Michael Pupin (October 4, 1858–March 12, 1935) illustrates with his life in his Pulitzer-winning 1923 autobiography From Immigrant to Inventor.

Born in a Serbian village so tiny as to be missing from maps, Pupin immigrated to the United States at the age of fifteen. Having sold all of his belongings — his books, his clothes, his watch, his beloved yellow sheepskin coat — to pay for the fare, he made the long journey across the Atlantic aboard an immigrant ship with just the clothes on his back and “a red Turkish fez which nobody would buy.” He landed at Castle Garden — New York’s first immigration station, predating Ellis Island by nearly half a century — on a sunny morning in the first days of spring midway through his fifteenth year.

Pupin recounts the electric elation of his arrival into a new life of possibility:

On the fourteenth day, early in the morning, the flat coast-fine of Long Island hove in sight. Nobody in the motley crowd of excited immigrants was more happy to see the promised land than I was. It was a clear, mild, and sunny March morning, and as we approached New York Harbor the warm sun-rays seemed to thaw out the chilliness which I had accumulated in my body by continuous exposure to the wintry blasts of the North Atlantic. I felt like a new person, and saw in every new scene presented by the New World as the ship moved into it a new promise that I should be welcome.

Nine years later, Emma Lazarus would channel this ethos of unconditional welcome in her iconic sonnet “The New Colossus,” giving voice to the newly erected Statue of Liberty:

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free

Nearly a century and a half later, as this country made of and by immigrants suffers a tragic kind of auto-immune policy failure, Pupin’s words burn with searing pertinence:

He who has never crossed the stormy Atlantic during the month of March in the crowded steerage of an immigrant ship does not know what hardships are. I bless the stars that the immigration laws were different then than they are now, otherwise I should not be among the living. To stand the great hardships of a stormy sea when the rosy picture of the promised land is before your mind’s eye is a severe test for any boy’s nerve and physical stamina; but to face the same hardships as a deported and penniless immigrant with no cheering prospect in sight is too much for any person.

Insisting that immigrants must never lose sight of “their meaning and their vital importance in American life,” he adds another sentiment of harrowing relevance today:

If the present standards had prevailed forty-eight years ago I should have been deported. There are, however, certain things which a young immigrant may bring to this country that are far more precious than any of the things which the present immigration laws prescribe.

The greatest gift a young immigrant confers upon their new home, Pupin argues, is the gift of perspective — of seeing the landscape of culture with new eyes. “An immigrant can see things which escape the attention of the native,” he writes. Our ways of seeing are invariably shaped by our formative experiences, which factor into the combinatorial nature of our creative contribution.

Pupin would go on to become one of America’s most prolific inventors. The recipient of eighteen doctorates, he would make significant contributions to early X-ray imaging and would revolutionize telecommunication with his invention of a loading coil that greatly extended the long-distance range of signal transmission across telephone wires. A founding member of NASA predecessor NACA, he would preside over some of the country’s most esteemed scientific institutions, including the New York Academy of Sciences and the American Association for the Advancement of Science. A lunar crater bears his name.

( Original post from Brain Pickings )

·
Registered
13,468 Posts
Because Tudjman/the Croatian government (and its backers in the west - Germany, U.S., Britain), and others did not want peace. They wanted an excuse to remove the Croatian Serb population.
it was not so much an excuse but an obstacle (ie. Serbs in Croatia) they wanted gone regardless of what would be said subsequently

and for all the horrors and injustices on all sides which occurred during the 90's, a lot of the practical problems have been resolved --> for example, diverse city centres in BiH (eg. Banja Luka, Sarajevo, Mostar) and how to ensure representative power, security, freedom and constitutional safeguards? a moot point since the cities are no longer multi-ethnic... a multicultural Kosovo and justifying annexation from Serbia? let NATO have effective control on the ground from 1999 and all the ethnicities bar Albanian flee... isolated Serbian Autonomous Municipalities (SAO) in BiH in 1992 and being at the mercy of Bosniaks and Croats and yet you now have a contiguous Republika Srpska

as for Serbs in Croatia, you need only look on the ethnographic map of Croatia in 1991 to know what threat an autonomous and/or independent RSK posed but that is no longer an issue

the point though with regard to Kir was simply someone and a sentiment we should be grateful for

·
Registered
13,468 Posts
Visoki Decani

WlB8Jc3es68

·
Registered
13,468 Posts
Manastir Studenica

zm0lO3-19Mc

·
Registered
13,468 Posts
Manastir Gračanica

pu0z5dX6HTg

·
Registered
13,468 Posts
Saborna crkva Svete Trojice/Cathedral of the Holy Trinity

Saborna crkva u Mostaru srušena je i do temelja spaljena u junu 1992. godine.

XaAppuaB7Jc

481 - 500 of 515 Posts