2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From bbc's world cup site

Diatta longs for bigger battles

Diatta says Senegal would prefer more illustrious opponents

By James Copnall
BBC Sport Online

Saudi Arabia v Senegal, Tuesday

When El Hadj Diouf moaned last week about the lack of top-class friendlies on the Lions¿ menu before the World Cup, he struck a cord among the Senegalese players.

So Tuesday¿s game against Saudi Arabia - Senegal¿s first since a March win over an understrength Bolivia - will come as a welcome chance for the Lions to sharpen their claws.

Nevertheless, there are many in the Senegal squad who would have loved the chance to take on a real giant

"No disrespect to Saudi Arabia," centre half Lamine Diatta says, "but we wanted a game against one of the big boys."

Still, Saudi Arabia are going to the World Cup and coach Bruno Metsu is likely to pit a strong team against the Arabs.

The 2001 African coach of the year may continue the experiment he started in the Bolivia game, by playing Khalilou Fadiga in the central creative role in a 4-3-1-2 formation.

Such an option allows the Lions to use three of their impressive defensive midfielders (Salif Diao, Pape Sarr, Bouba Diop, Sylvain Ndiaye and Amdy Faye) and does away with a problem position.

Both Ndiayes, Moussa and Makhtar, have failed to shine on the right side of midfield.

It will also be one of the last chances for fringe players to impress Metsu, something Monaco striker Souleymane Camara is well aware of.

"You have to be ready on D-Day, otherwise you might as well stay in Dakar," he said.

After Saudi Arabia Senegal will take on Japanese club side Kashiwa Reysol on 19 May and fellow World Cup debutants Ecuador on 23 May.

The real D-Day will come against France in the opening game of the World Cup on 31 May.
I think it's high time somebody deflated the pompous senegalese :mad: , and I would love it if Saudi does the honours tomorrow. They qualify to the world cup for the first time (helped by Egypt and Morocco knocking each other out), and now suddenly think they're a great footballing nation like Brazil and Argentina. Them upstarts have to be tought respect. And it will be a good time for us to put a performance that gives confidence to the team and the fans.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Final Result:

Saudi Arabia 3
Senegal 2

No disrespect to Diatta, but we were hoping to play better opponents :howler:

·
totally innocent
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes :) :D

We were conned. From the comments by Diouff and Diatta we thought we were going to meet the best team in the world :howler: :tongue: . I would love to hear what they say now.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I don't think Senegal will be too concerned about this result. I think they had their minds a bit more focused on May 31.

·
totally innocent
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
King Italy said:
I don't think Senegal will be too concerned about this result. I think they had their minds a bit more focused on May 31.
I think they should be. We ripped their defense to pieces in that game. If us "minnows" could make a fool of their defence (and it was their full lineup) then what will happen against the likes of France.

game highlights (unfortunately provided by Hilal's website :yuck: with commentary by albakr :yuck: :yuck: )

http://alhilalclub.com/ngl2/saudia3-2singal.rm

http://alhilalclub.com/ngl2/missattack-singal.rm

·
Registered
319 Posts
Wow Ahmad you have busy down here:)

Vomit on it or don't, you have to admit that the Alhilalclub site is the best overall Arabic sports website :) It's amazing how much effort is put on it. Incidently, it was launched after a disagreement between members of ALzaeem website. Inner competetion brings the best in us Saudis:eek: The ones who run Sami's site also do a great job when it comes to posting clips from matches.

As for the match, I have not seen it, but from the footage and the summaries I have read, there seems to be some serious improvement in the team. I know you don't think highly of Sami, but pairing him with AlYami seems a good solution for the WC. Especially with Meshaal's and Shehan's (I don't think he will fully return on time) injuries. Obeid should also be given a chance.

I guess it is more reasonable to move the discussions regarding the NT and the WC to this folder rather than the Arabian folder.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,487 Posts
Arrogants ??? I dont know...Ask the French !!!!!!! They must a learned a thing or two last friday May 31st!!!!!
And on the mean time..they have advanced to the Second Round already ..

:smileani:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts