Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
International
8,545 Posts
Senegal has had some chances, they've managed to beat the defence on a few occassions but don't have enough players moving forward.

Hopefully they can hold on to this 1-0 lead!!

·
International
8,545 Posts
Congratulations to Senegal, I'm sure they're celebrating right now!

A great result for African football!

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Very nice :happy:

First half Senegal played certainly as well as France. The Africans were lucky when Trezeguet hit the post after a class move. Stll keeper Sylva grew in the game an Diouf was a constant treat for the weak central defenders of France. Diop scored a lucky goal after a Diouf-cross and a funny messy scrimmage :).

Second half France took control but it was clear coach Lemerre isn't a genious. With 2 defensive midfielders and 4 strikers there was absolutely no connection between attack and defense. Senegal didn't really have problems controlling the game defensively.

Te first surprise of the tournament and the first sign for the world to take African football serious :fero:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
GREAT game from Senegal!!! GREAT!!!

Sylva played well (kind scary watching him coming out of goal!)

Malick Diop stoped everyone!!! Diatta was kind of lost sometimes...

Daf and Coly covered very well their flank

Bouba Diop and Diao made life very hard to the french attacking moves

Cissé simply was the "Comandante" of Senegal's solid defense!!! Great player!!!

Fadiga didn't played aswell as I was expecting...

and Diouf...oHHHHH!!! just showed how fragile France's center-backs are...specially Lebouef!!! El-Hadji DIOUF!!!

...but this team has more to offer...Sarr and the 2 Camaras (Henri and Souleymane) haven't played yet....

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
WELL DONE SENEGAL!!

A more exciting start to WC02 we could not hope for. African football on the way?! Forget it. It is here! Great game.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
re: gOD and Drago

Lemerre suprised me a lot! Why did he replace Djorkaeff with Dugarry, then let the Bordeaux frontman play in midfield :confused: when everyone knows his natural position is in the frontline??? Doesn't Lamerre have Boghossian or some other ball winner in his squad?? That was a bad decision on his part!! Now, what's with Veira?? man he was odds and ends in the French midfield :yuck:

·
Registered
859 Posts
Man this is so Great for AFRICAN SOCCER, I AM ONE OF THE HAPPIEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD RIGHT NOW, i just wish the whole world continues to understimate Africa and we continue to shock them

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Impressive result. :eekani:
I watched the game and Senegal showed some really good skill at times. I think that's the first time I ever seriously and properly watched them play. I still know nothing about them.

Good luck for the rest of the cup and same to the other African teams especially Cameroon. :)

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
What great game are you talking about ?

Is scoring one goal in the net of the most clumsy keeper on earth and sitting back for 90 minutes in defense with only Diouf and Fadiga up front (i.e. by up front I meant close to the center line) while breaking all French attacks by fouling their players every 20 seconds, a "great game" ? The score is great for us and for that we thank Senegal, but not the performance.

The only reason Senegal won today is because France sucked. Look, Senegal had two or three chances on goal only, their passing was aweful, they did not play nice football and they defended forever, I dont understand why..

France were unlucky and did not deserve to win this game, neither did Senegal (France struck the bar 3 times)

Sure, great result for Africa I am too happy but this is not the performance we are looking for....

BTW, if you are looking for Diouf on the pitch, he is the one who always after every touch of the ball, dives, stands up and puts his arms around his waist, then raises them towards the ref and shakes his head like a crazy person as if he was just killed. This happened at least 9 times in yesterday's game. And what about those offsides ? And why does he yell at his teammates when he is in an offside position ?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Sabry maybe i watched a different game from you but Senegal's performance was great. First of all this is a team that we all expected to be overun by France's attacking power...hence a defensive strategy was the best that the team could use and i thank the coach for not being overambitious and playing with an attacking mentality. This was a team with character and in the end they won.
Yes Diouf dived and was offside but he created two very good chances and you cannot discount that, he was troubling the French defense....
France did not hit the post three times, it was only twice...Recall that Senegal hit the post when Fadiga literally ate Leboeuf and the other chance Senegal had, they converted it....France was not unlucky it is just apart of the game to hit the post or to score...Senegal was the better team simply because they converted their chance and used a strategy that worked.

Sabry, we are both looking for the same thing, great African performances at the World Cup but we have to be realistic, Senegal couldn't afford to go all out against France and i will be very happy if they use the same strategy and advance far in the world cup...Italy has done the same thing before and they reached the Euro 2000 final, one could say Holland was unlucky, but Italy was better...and today Senegal was better.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
You DID NOT understand my post.

I am saying, Senegal did NOT win because they are better than France, its because France sucked ! Had France played 50% of how they played in WC98 the final result would have been France 3-0 Senegal. I have followed Senegal closely over the past 4 years and I know how they play..

But all I see here are comments about how Africans "are back" and how African football "is like European"....

Sure, we'd like to see that, but its not the truth ! Last time we got tricked into believing that was in 98 when Nigeria qualified and the coach smacked the conference table with his hand and said "Its time for Africa to win the world cup", the next day Nigeria got creamed 4-1 against DENMARK !!!!!

And when I was referring to Diouf, where do you see I degraded his game ? I am talking about his attitude !

Senegal were better, there is no question about it, but better than a French side who didnt show even 10% of their full power. Thats the difference. I dont like the French team, but thats the sad truth..

eringi, if you dont expect Senegal to go all out on France then how do you expect our teams to progress ? Should we win the WC by sitting back and expecting every team to play us like France did today ? Why not have confidence and play them like they play us. 100% of the Senegal NT plays against those same French players in Europe (or at least against similar style players in the French league) and do attack them in club games, so whats the difference ? I dont think we will ever win anything by saying "we suck, lets defend and wait for Barthez to screw up so we can score and win the world cup" :)

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
BTW, I am not taking away anything of Senegal's great victory, but I dont like being too fast and making claims that African soccer now is free of problems and is the best in the world just because of one game where France didnt put in even 10%..

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Of course African football isn't back for this one game. If we are mild we can say Cameroon has a squaed to battle for the title, but they are the only ones.

Still this creates respect. Respect that had gone lost. You can't imagine the amount of articles I read saying African football was lost. Those writers will shut up for a while.

About this game did Seenegal win because they have a better side? Today yes, football isn't only about going out and attack. It's about using your strenghts and abusing the opponents weaknesses. Senegal did that in a fantastic way today.

Was it pretty, no not really but a little realism please. They played France the reigning World and European champion. Those guys hadn't lost a ral game, a game with something at stake, for over 4 years. That they won because Lemerre is an idiot, so what? The coach is part of the team, fighting spirit is part of the game. On the whole Senegal was better.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
gOD, forget articles about how African football has gone lost. Those are journalists trying to prove Africa sucks by any way and at the end their aim is to create this feeling that Africa doesnt deserve the 5 seats.

See, you are missing the point too ;), you said:

"About this game did Seenegal win because they have a better side? Today yes, football isn't only about going out and attack. It's about using your strenghts and abusing the opponents weaknesses. Senegal did that in a fantastic way today."

Are you telling me that Senegal is better than France ?

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Of course France is better. Out of 100 games they would win 99. But not today. Today considering all elements (tactics, fighting spirit,...) yes Senegal was better. They were much smarter and that earned them the victory.

·
Registered
859 Posts
i do see your point Sabry, France is better than Senegal, we all admit that and that's why i was happy when the Senegalese coach went defensive today because otherwise France would have completely outrun them...France has the most fearsome strikeforce in this world cup so stiffling it was the best strategy to use. France did not play well today but that's not because they decided not to play well...it's because of Senegalese defending which was marvellous except that you could still see the weaknesses many times. Had Zidane played this could have totally been a different story because he has the vision that most of the French players who played today lacked....
African football is far from being equal to European but what i loved today was the discipline that Senegal showed which is similar to Cameroon's and very opposite to Nigeria's...Nigeria is a team that prides itself on its beautiful game but that beautiful game lost to a ten man Senegal in the semifinals earlier this year, Man whatever the kind of game we play, a victory is a victory and if we have to be ultra-defensive let be it.....

·
International
8,545 Posts
Look at Sab, coming in and raining on the parade, what an impolite person.:tongue:

Let me try and clear things up here so everybody can get back to celebrating.

Sabry is simply taking exception to some comments which seem to indicate that African football took a huge step forward today and he's right when he says it hasn't.

It is a huge result, anybody beating France is a big result these days. However, the game that the Senegalese played would not have been effective had France been on their game. There wasn't enough players moving forward, Senegal got through a couple of times mostly because of shoddy defending, but then the player with the ball had few options as there was usually on one guy up in support with 3 or 4 Frenchies around him.

Senegal was weak tactically, in fact, there seemed to be no set plan for the game and it showed. Diouf was offside a ridiculous amount of times and there's no excuse for that.

So Sabry's concern is that while it's a great result for Senegal, there's no reason to believe they would achieve the same result again because the game they played wasn't impressive, it was more of a unimpressive display by France.

Now everybody get off of Sabry's back:fero:

;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts