Miguel Veloso
Raul Meireles - Joao Moutinho
Nani - Hugo Almeida - Cristiano Ronaldo

Spain

Iker Casillas
Alvaro Arbeloa - Gerard Pique - Sergio Ramos - Jordi Alba
Xavi - Sergio Busquets - Xabi Alonso
David Silva - Cesc Fabregas - Andres Iniesta​

All the talk about the Iberian clash goes here!

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Flip the sides for Pepe and Bruno Alves as Pepe covers for JP all the time. Otherwise, spot on.

Will be interesting to see how Spain plan to draw Pepe/Bruno out of the defense without a target man to occupy them.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I have to believe that Del Bosque will use a striker this time. Even if Torres can't hit the broadside of a barn, he has excellent off the ball movement.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It'd be exciting to see Portugal solve the Spanish puzzle. An early goal might do it but I don't know if Portugal's defense can hold up. Although if they take 'em to PK's...anything can happen.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Last time the two teams met(yes, a friendly 18 months ago):

[tub]scx9xtccWR4[/tub]

Portugal will attempt to execute similar counterattacks; lightning quick and hopefully efficient again.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Spain slowly kill teams with their play. A slow asphyxiation of the opposition with a couple of dagger blows to round it off.

You would think the midfield will be key here as is the case with most top matches at this stage and level and Spain with their individuals and their system in midfield are superior in that department and this should be enough to see them through.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Portugal should play a Chelsea. Let the cowards play their anti-football ball hugging tiki-taka which is usually useless against Zonal defence with numbers and then punish them hard on the counter. Portugal have the means to play such tactic.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Portugal should play a Chelsea. Let the cowards play their anti-football ball hugging tiki-taka which is usually useless against Zonal defence with numbers and then punish them hard on the counter. Portugal have the means to play such tactic.
What a clown you are. Cowards? You don't know who are cowards in this world

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
It’s almost destined for Portugal to win his game...Ronaldo scoring the winner and running to the centre of the pitch shouting to the crowd “ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!?”...

Portugal is solid top to bottom, they are playing as a team & most importantly Ronaldo has finally figured how to play for Portugal like he does for Real...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
This will be a difficult match for Spain. When teams face Spain they change the way they play in order to try to nullify Spain. Portugal, unlike almost every other team, will simply continue to play in the way that they are set up.

Portugal killed Spain not too long ago in a friendly, 4-0. But I wouldn't read too much into this. Spain has only lost 4 competitive matches since 2006. But they've lost 4 friendlies since the last world cup, less than 2 years ago - to Argentina, Portugal, Italy and England, as well as drawing with Mexico and Costa Rica.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Friendlies count for nothing.

England beat Spain in a friendly :howler:

France won many friendly matches during their unbeaten run, some good teams and scalps but looked very average when it came to the games that really mattered at the top end.

What we can all say for sure is that Portugal won't be beating Spain 4-0 in this one.

Take that 4-0 game with a big pinch of salt in regards to this match.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
For the first time in my life, I will be wishing for Ronaldo to score.........

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Spain slowly kill teams with their play. A slow asphyxiation of the opposition with a couple of dagger blows to round it off.
That sounds nice but simply didn't happen so far in this tournament.

They did not manage to "asphyxiate" Italy, had a training match against Ireland, were poor, slow and helped by the ref against Croatia and played against a non-entity in the QFs. Let's see if they do you a favour and play like that against Portugal.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
That sounds nice but simply didn't happen so far in this tournament.

They did not manage to "asphyxiate" Italy, had a training match against Ireland, were poor, slow and helped by the ref against Croatia and played against a non-entity in the QFs. Let's see if they do you a favour and play like that against Portugal.
Actually that's pretty much exactly what's happened.

Tell you what, from now one, to make things a bit more even, why don't we start counting opposition chances as goals?

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Portugal for my head
Their performance growing every match

More important-thing finally Spain will miss David Villa who best spanish striker ever in history

Only Villa can overtake Spain's tourney jinx ihmo:strong:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
And here I thought Spain's tourney jinx was not getting past the quarterfinals...

1 - 20 of 433 Posts