Xtratime Community banner

161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
Blossom was horrible. Zero humor. Not a second of it funny. So preposterous that Bialik keeps getting roles on comedy shows.

Or maybe that's the joke.

·
Registered
17,343 Posts
Frasier>

·
1st Tier Poster
49,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Hipsters can slag Friends off all they want but it was a great show at it's peak. Good characters and good storylines, honestly silly to suggest otherwise. Just cos it was so successful people slag it off lol but it was clearly a great show for 5 years at least.

Sure it went on too long and got pretty awful in the last few seasons no doubt but that goes for most American shows tbh inc. Seinfeld. The last season of Seinfeld was poor, esp the finale.

Seinfeld was funny no doubt, I enjoyed watching it. But the show pretty much goes nowhere and is annoying the more you watch it. It's overrated clearly.

It has it's reputation mostly cos it was a trendsetter for the sitcom genre which is fair enough, but if we're talking about the greatest comedies of all time it lags behind in hindsight.

Curb is vastly superior for a start.
Season 9 was very inconsistent: it had some of the best episodes of the entire series like the Festivus one, The Merv Griffin Show, the Indian wedding and The Puerto Rican Day. But it has some really weak ones too (even if we don't take into account the last four which are basically a re-hash of old material).

It's hit and miss.
Yeah it has always been a bit of that. IMO it has only one really bad original episode (if we ignore the clip shows and such) but a fair amount of average ones.

·
Registered
34,126 Posts
Yeah lol The Puerto Rican Day episode was jokes, the gay bully was hilarious.

I would defo re-watch Seinfeld if I saw it on TV, I know it comes across like I hate the show but I don't. :D

George's Dad was brilliant.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Yeah lol The Puerto Rican Day episode was jokes, the gay bully was hilarious.

I would defo re-watch Seinfeld if I saw it on TV, I know it comes across like I hate the show but I don't. :D

George's Dad was brilliant.
i heard they didn't show reruns of it because it had a Puerto Rican flag set into fire which apparently offended some people...

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
That's right. CNN, NYT and WaPo were offended that they didn't burn the American flag instead.

·
Registered
34,126 Posts
Re-watching Seinfeld for the 1st time since my posts in the start of the thread atm, and tbh it's a fcukin great show.

I've underrated it, it's aged fantastically well imo.

Larry David really is a genius.

·
Registered
44,288 Posts
Some of the parts where everyone repeats the thing back and forth was novel at the time but it hasn't aged so well for me. Curb does it too (and in more varied ways) but mostly keeps it short so it doesn't overstay its welcome. I'm not a fan of laugh tracks either.

I'd still watch it though since it's full of the good stuff. But Curb really perfects things, imo. The plot lines are great in themselves but the really special thing is how they intersect (sometimes after a number of episodes) to create a real bang. The writing is tremendous.

I think Curb will probably appeal more than most American shows to fans of British comedy as well since they use a form of tragedy.

There's a great animated show called The Life and Times of Tim which uses tragedy in one of the best ways I've seen in comedy. Unlike Larry David, who doesn't like to give very much, Tim is a good guy with good intentions who doesn't see the harm in lending a hand to his fellow man. Unfortunately, things always snowball in the worst way for him.

·
Registered
44,288 Posts
I didn't find Curb very funny tbh... not sure how much I watched it, maybe 20 episodes or so.
Wow, really? That's surprising...I'd have thought you'd enjoy the series...at least a fair bit. A lot of the humour seems to me to be right up your alley.

The first Curb episode I watched was when I was on a long flight...it was the coffee stain episode. I was pretty underwhelmed and I think it's because of the expectations I had. I guess I was expecting more direct gags in the vein of Seinfeld and other shows. I think the coffee stain episode might be one of the weaker shows as well...probably a poor starting point. So I thought maybe the series wasn't for me.

I decided to give the series another shot after Jeff and other guys here were talking about it. This time I went into it without expecting very much. And it not only became one of my favourite shows but it also became very addictive...couldn't resist watching another episode and another after that.

Try to give it another shot with an open mind...maybe it will surprise you. If not, I'd really like to know what your issues with the show are. Types of gags? Plot formulae?

Anyway, here's something that will surely whet your appetite:

·
Registered
34,126 Posts
I think I first watched it years ago, when I was about 15 and instantly liked it. But didn't watch it properly from the 1st episode series by series until a good few years after.

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
10,885 Posts
I started from the first episode and didn't like it at all, stopped watching like 4-5 episodes in. But re-started watching from the 7th season (? The Seinfeld reunion one) and been watching it from there. Is constantly hilarious.

Have been watching the new season weekly and it's getting better with each episode. The last one with Jon Hamm was really good.

161 - 178 of 178 Posts