Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
49,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's been maybe 10 years since I watched it and didn't find it very funny back then. I thought I'm gonna give it another try. I know this place has some fans so any episodes you recommend? (besides the Festivus one which is an obvious choice)

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Dude, Seinfeld is a brilliant sitcom! George Costanza is like an unattractive Embad as sitcom character.

Maybe forego season 1, but I would recommend watching all of seasons 2, 3 and 4 at least.

·
Registered
44,288 Posts
It was brilliant at the time but I don't think the series has aged too well. It has too many 90's elements for me. Things that are essentially catchphrases like the escalating exchanges based on wordplay (something similar but more low-brow and very nauseating is found in Friends), Kramer's entrances, etc. When they're employed so often, they look like crutches, imo. Curb Your Enthusiasm does away with all that baggage, even if the concept is different.

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
10,885 Posts
The Soup Nazi episode.

The Season 5 finale was pretty good.

The Puerto Rican day episode.

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
The Jimmy is one of my all time favorites.

The Pothole also comes to mind, as well as The Caddy.

·
Registered
27,375 Posts
i like when kramer goes to la.

What do you think Junior? You think these hands - they've been soaking in Ivory Liquid?

·
Greta joke sharer
23,226 Posts
The only Kramer bit I like is the episode where he tries to be a standup comedian but gets caught up in a screaming contest with a heckler.

Otherwise I'm pretty sure that you could rank the episodes based on the amount of time that Kramer appears in them. I'm not a big fan of Kramer's slapstick and crazy gimmick act. Less Kramer = more funny.

·
Registered
34,126 Posts
I'm not a big fan of Kramer's slapstick and crazy gimmick act. Less Kramer = more funny.
Agree, also i hate when he comes in the apartment and the audience start cheering, god shut up.

Anyway, this show is definitely over-rated...but once you learn to forget not to expect something special from Seinfeld, you begin to really enjoy the show.

I'm on Season 5 atm, and it's been consistently funny each episode.

·
Registered
31,504 Posts
Again, hardly fair to evaluate a sitcom based on multiple DVD devouring, is it? More of a 1/2 episodes at a time medium. :undecide:

I personally find it hard to come up with such a consistently brilliantly written sitcom.

Kramer is really only a supporting character, but he has more to him than the slapstick, such as his odd friendship and scheming with Newman.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The only Kramer bit I like is the episode where he tries to be a standup comedian but gets caught up in a screaming contest with a heckler.
yeah that was cool

EfAFI0kutXk

Otherwise I'm pretty sure that you could rank the episodes based on the amount of time that Kramer appears in them. I'm not a big fan of Kramer's slapstick and crazy gimmick act. Less Kramer = more funny.
all of the 4 central characters are essential to this show to work...in fact Kramer's role and screentime is probably the smallest as he's the most one-dimensional of them all which is maybe why many people seem to enjoy this limited but always intense time when he appears.

·
Registered
34,126 Posts
Again, hardly fair to evaluate a sitcom based on multiple DVD devouring, is it? More of a 1/2 episodes at a time medium. :undecide:

I personally find it hard to come up with such a consistently brilliantly written sitcom.

Kramer is really only a supporting character, but he has more to him than the slapstick, such as his odd friendship and scheming with Newman.
I'm not watching on DVD, they are showing re-runs over here. I'm watching 2 episodes back-to-back every Monday.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts