Xtratime Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Castillo Poised To Sign

by Darren Griffiths | Wednesday 27 August 2008, 20:54

Everton are poised to sign Ecuador international Segundo Castillo.

The Blues have agreed a deal with Red Star Belgrade and the midfielder is set to join up with the squad in the next 24 hours to undergo a medical.

The deal is, of course, subject to a work permit, an application for which has been made.

Castillo is a very highly-rated 26 year-old midfielder and made his Ecuador debut in 2005. He joined Red Star Belgrade in 2006 from Ecuadorian side El Nacional after beginning his career with El Deportivo ESPOLI.

He is a regular in the national team and has made 33 appearances. He is primarily a defensive midfield player but he has a willingness to join in the attack when the opportunity arises.

Castillo was a member of the 2006 Ecuador World Cup squad in Germany and played in three of their four matches, including the last 16 tie against England, that was won by a second-half David Beckham goal.

Everton official website

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
Scored a great goal against Standard on the UEFA Cup.

His ability to settle in different countries is pretty outstanding. This is very unusual for Ecuadorean players who, even if talented, have had a hard time settling abroad.
If he continues on this path, I have little doubts that he will be regarded as one of the best defensive midfielders in the premier league by the end of the year.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Lovely goal he scored yesterday :proud:, but am a little critical over the mistakes he made, also that I feel he drifted out of the game too much. When Yakubu first signed for us - he started off a lazy, but is now one of our most important players. I have coinfidence that Moyes can hopefully up Castillo's workrate, and he too can become a really important player.
About the second leg of the european tie - we have been in this situation before, with 1-1 last season, which was also caused by diabolical defending, and I feel confidant that if we can sort our defence out - we can win in belgium!

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I have really like the look of Castillo. Very athletic, wins a lot in the air and wins a lot of tackles. He is a technical player who does the simple things well, and I also think with a little work from Moyes he can devlop into a goal scoring midfielder capable of scoring plenty of goals. His forward movement is very good and with his workrate, pace and aerial ability as well as quality shot, he could score many goals.

He does look a little too unadventorous on the ball and prefers to give it quickly, when in fact I feel he could control the game from deep. He needs to get confidence in his own ability.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts