Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See ya in 18 years!

I was going to post this in the Sporting forum, but then again I would not want Santa to come over here and start giving everyone English grammar lessons. Howevere, for those of you Portistas who are fickle in nature I just thought this news might interest you and add some joy to your day. Many of you younger Portistas (Marcoa and company included)who tend to panic when change comes about or jump off the bandwagon when things go wrong need to have more faith in the institution we call Futebol clube de Porto. If that hasn't convinced you then this probably will. As you probably don't know, buying players and throwing money around like a sailor on leave (Sporting comes to mind) doesn't win you championships. Stability, scouting and unity does! Lets face it, FCP let last year's championship get away and with some stability at Sporting with Roquette at the helm things went well for them. However, I will go on record as saying that before we reach the middle of the season things at Avalade will start to crumble. Here's the first step in that long road to obscurity:

No Sporting chance of meeting

Sporting Lisbon, due to hold a general meeting of directors and shareholders in order to resolve boardroom problems at the club, look as though they will be postponing it for a second time.

The club has been thrown into turmoil by the resignations of Luis Duque, chairman of the football club, Jose Roquette, chairman of the holding company and a number of club directors.

As majority shareholder, Roquette is the most influential individual at the club. But Duque, who is not a shareholder and is said to have very little capital at his disposal, is intent on unseating Roquette and running the club himself, convinced that he has the backing of the other shareholders.

An initial meeting was due to take place last week but was postponed as a result of a failure to agree the items on the agenda.

With Duque still desperate to oust the majority shareholder but needing the majority of the shareholders to do so he appears to be swimming against the tide.

Meanwhile, the club have announced a deficit of £2 million in the financial year that ended in June despite winning the championship for the first time in 18 years last season.

[Edited by Ola on 24-07-2000 at 23:27]

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
yes I am fickle in nature Ola...and yes perhaps my youth does have something to do with it...but one thing...I have never "jumped onto the bandwagon of FCP" I was born an FCP fan..regardless if they are playing in Division 1 or Division 2B.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was a bit harsh Marcoa in questioning or doubting your allegiance to the club we all love.

No hard feelings!

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Santa

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

(How's my English?)

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
yes its still a great signing....what about JVP.....highest paid player in Portugal (LOL!!!!) is that a great signing? Good player..but nowhere near that price....

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't trust this maric character yet. If he pulls the same trick on FCP he did to Newcastle he will suffer the retribution of FOGO.

[Edited by Son of FOGO on 25-07-2000 at 21:18]

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Portuguese clubs never release player wages (odd since Italian, Spanish and English always do...but wait...thats just the presidents of each clubs having pissing contests with each other) so I don't know how much he is getting paid..I do know that Alenitchev took a pay-cut to play for us so I assume that Maric took one as well to join us...again I could be wrong!

·
Registered
646 Posts
How much is maric on with you guys marco?
has he accepted a pay cut? Thing with JVP is we got him for free, Maric cost you £2m. so we can afford an extra £2m over 4 years on wages. This translates to £10,000 a week.

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
JVP is being paid $150 000/month and got a signing bonus of $4 000 000.

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
I just told you JVP is on a $600 000/month contract. He also got $4 000 000 to sign for Sporting. Santamaria with the amounts of times you post in the FC Porto forum I am starting to think that you are a closet Portista :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
this is stoned you're answering my questions before i ask them.

anyway that's not too high, the $4m translates to a transfer fee (about what you paid for maric) and 150,000 per month is only about £23k a week (the same as Schmeichel) ie not that high.

Sporting overpaid players include Edmilson (£14k per week) and Bino (£6k).

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
I may be wrong! I will check again tonight!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts