• Ooijer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've included a few players from the first poll. The only other thing of note is that Puyol has been included as well. He didn't win the right back poll and the consensus is that he'll play as a centre back so he's in.

·
Registered
17,518 Posts
Has to be Stam, he came from Man U and there was some doubt as to whether he'd succeed in Serie A, but he's been a resounding success for Lazio. Great all-round defender, does nearly everything well.

Having said that, me picking him goes to show how Canna has fallen from grace in recent times. He would have been an automatic first choice for any all-star in central D, but he hasn't been able to replicate his unquestionable greatness at Inter IMO.

Honorable mentions for Campbell, Puyol and Gallas.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Voted for Stam, Puyol & Sol arent too far behind though...

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Nero said:
Has to be Stam, he came from Man U and there was some doubt as to whether he'd succeed in Serie A, but he's been a resounding success for Lazio. Great all-round defender, does nearly everything well.

Having said that, me picking him goes to show how Canna has fallen from grace in recent times. He would have been an automatic first choice for any all-star in central D, but he hasn't been able to replicate his unquestionable greatness at Inter IMO.
Darn! I'm agreeing with a Juventino again. :( And Cannavaro is one of my favorite players. It was a shock when I realized I'd prefer a Nesta-Stam combination...

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
EagleMart said:
Stam for me, wasn't he was playing right back for Lazio in some games?
Yes, he plays as a RB sometimes but mainly as a CB. He excels in both positions therefore I voted for him. In many games Stam manages to hold the opposition at bay virtually all by himself due to the slowness of his ageing partners in the Lazio defence.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its a pretty race so far. i voted for tudor. hes had his injury problems and is played out of position but when on form hes all class at the back. an excellent reading of the game with the ability to make the smart tackle. hes stronger than most players and is great in the air both offensively and defensively.

·
Registered
36,124 Posts
ditto Luigi...Stam is past his best, Puyol is very good but Tudor is better than both of them. He's strong in the air, can competentently move forward, drill 'em home with the head out of corners and even shoot on goal from back passes...plus he will not blast a penalty 20m over the bar like Stam :D or let people put it through his legs 2 times in a matter of 10 minutes like Puyol :)

·
Registered
17,518 Posts
Stam is past his best? :rolleyes:

Have you watched any of Lazio's matches recently? He has been singlehandedly holding their defence together and has been one of the best defenders in Serie A so far this season.

Puyol has been playing great football week in week out for Barca since his debuted for them, and is one of their untouchables.

And if you want to cite solitary incidents to discredit other defenders entirely, why not mention Tudor looking hopelessly inadequate against Galatasaray when Sukur (!) beat him for pace to score?

Why does everything have to be an exercise in nationalism for some people?

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
You Croatians are so biased it's not even funny anymore. Why do you feel obliged to prove that your players are the best with words? Let them prove it on the pitch.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts