Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fiorentina goalkeeper Sebastien Frey has decided to retire from international football.

Although widely seen as one of the best 'keepers in Serie A, Frey has only ever made two appearances for France.

And it seems that Raymond Domenech's decision to leave him out of Les Bleus' recent squads was the final straw for the 28-year-old.

“I am here today to make a personal declaration,” Frey said in the Stadio Artemio Franchi's Press room.

“Unfortunately it is with deep regret that I have decided to dedicate my time to Fiorentina only after my latest exclusion from the squad.

“I have never been shown and trust or given any chance to show my ability for the France team.

“I respect every decision that has been made and I accept that I don't feature in the Coach's plans but I want to close the door to any future selection.

“It was always my dream to play for the national side and I have always worked towards that but there just wasn't a chance for me.

“Now I want to be completely at the disposal of my club and I will keep supporting France as a fan.”

What sad news for Frey that he has felt forced to quit from the French squad after continually being overlooked by Domenech.

For Frey to only have 2 caps, when he is one of the best keepers in the world and without doubt the best keeper in France is a disgrace :nono:

Domenech has no clue, did not get France out of the group stages of Euro 2008 and how he is still in a job I do not know.

It is sad for all French supporters that they will be denied seeing a great keeper in their team. The only hope I have is that when Domenech is sacked, a new coach will come in and perhaps Frey will reconsider.

Until then, Fiorentina will benefit from Frey's 100% committment.

Forza Viola!!

·
Premier Player
3,328 Posts
Frey should have been called by Santini or Lemerre... Not Domenech.

With Mandanda and Lloris as next decade french NT keepers, Frey or anyother goalkeepers are past it.

I don't think Frey would be interested in being a third choice goalkeeper... But it is really what his place is.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Frey should have been called by Santini or Lemerre... Not Domenech.

Frey or anyother goalkeepers are past it.

I don't think Frey would be interested in being a third choice goalkeeper... But it is really what his place is.

Frey is 28 years old, is an outstanding keeper, plays for a top Italian team (with other teams like Milan interested in him until recently, when he pledged his future to the Viola), and has the best years ahead of him, as you find that with keepers.

Mandanda (23) & Lloris (21) are too young at present to be French international keepers as they haven't proved themselves consistently at a top level yet, although I agree from what I have read that they will be top keepers at Marseille & Lyon in the future.

These two keepers could have worked under Frey (as they are not as good as him yet) and learnt. What the idiot Dommenech has done has effectively left the French with two inexperienced keepers.

Maybe other managers left Frey out before Dommenech but over the past two years, I have seen Frey develop into a world class keeper and one that has been far better than Coupet.

As I say, it's the French's loss & the Viola's gain.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Mandanda (23) & Lloris (21) are too young at present to be French international keepers as they haven't proved themselves consistently at a top level yet, although I agree from what I have read that they will be top keepers at Marseille & Lyon in the future.
That's the problem, you only read things about them. Mandanda will not be a top keeper at Marseille in the future, he is a top keeper at Marseille. Did you watch the match France-Sweden? Did Mandanda make a fault??

Of course Frey is an exellent goalkeeper. And the problem for him is that their are others exellent french goalkeepers. Him or Coupet, Barthez, Mandanda etc, it doesn't change anything in the french team. Maybe in term of charism. It's sad for Frey, ok.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bring back Frey :strong:

Mandanda didn't exactly inspire confidence yesterday & should have come for the free-kick for the 2nd goal. However, he did have Mexes as part of his defence.

Is Mexes the worst defender to ever play for France?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts