Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are almost at the half way point of the season and we currently lie second in the league and through to the Champions League second round. We also managed to extend our unbeaten league sequence to 49 :star: Our kids performed well in the Carling Cup and our future prospects look good. :proud:

League table

HTML:
1 Chelsea 18 7 2 0 19 3   6 2 1 18 5 29 43 
2 Arsenal 18 5 4 0 25 11   6 1 2 20 11 23 38  
 3 Everton 18 6 1 2 11 9   5 3 1 10 5 7 37 
 4 Manchester United 18 6 3 0 17 5   3 4 2 11 8 15 34 
 5 Middlesbrough 18 5 3 1 16 9   4 2 3 16 13 10 32
Player ratings

Lehmann 6/10

He started solid enough but then had his usual blunders in the UCL, his confidence was damaged there after and Wenger was forced to change him with Alumina. He hasn't been helped with the slack marking of our 'defenders' and I feel he has been hard done by. Considering he went 47 games undefeated the prem shows he has the class, but If we want to challenge for the biggest honest in europe we need a better keeper. It looks as though his time with us is over. :neutral:

Alumina 6

It's too early to judge him but I will anyway ;) and I dont think he is good enough. Although he is seems decent shot stopper he doesn't command his area and thats what we need at the moment due to our sloppiness at set plays. It will be interesting to see if Wenger sticks with him.

Lauren 8

He seems the scapegoat whenever we have problems in defence but to me he has been one of our most consistent performers this season. He gets caught out of position ocassionally but never shirks responsiblity and the game against the scum was a prime example of what he provides us.

Campbell 7.5

Missed the first part of the season but for the most part has shown what a rock he is. Leads us from the back and the perfect example was against pompey, reminded me of when the 'donkey' :proud: used to do rally us. We need him to be fit for the rest of the season or we look doomed.

Toure 7

Seems to have been effected the most by our keepers and has been caught out numerous times. Looks much more secure when Campbell is alongside him, needs to come out of his shell and be more of a leader.

Cole 8

A great start and has shown he is the best left back in Europe :D Has looked lathargic lately but seems to be due to his knee, a rest would be in order and of course we have his 'twin' waiting in the wings.

Cygan A generous 6

:rollani:

Clichy 7

Injury has held him back but everytime he comes in he looks class and such a shame he wasn't right footed. The next best left back in the Europe :D

Ljungberg 7.5

His form has been in and out for the most part, there were times when he looked off the pace and I thought Pennent should replace him. However, he had improved greatly before he got his migraine and he never stopped running when we were in our slump. Ever so reliable, thats Freddi :star:

Pennent 7

Its a shame he hasn't got a start with Freddi being out, I still think he has a lot to offer. Although, it appears Wenger has different ideas and he could be on his way out this summer. :neutral:

Vieira 6

I am starting to have serious doubts about whether he will ever regain his old form, he has had plenty of opportunities but he doesn't have that authority he used to have anymore. He needs to step it up big time, and he owes us a big performance, lets hope he is saving it for the crucial months ahead in the UCL and prem. He is letting the younger and less experienced players put him to shame and on current form doesn't deserve a place in the starting line up. PROVE ME WRONG PADDY, PLEASE!! :lala:

Cesc 8.5

What is worrying but great at the same time is that he is becoming a neccesity. His performance against Chelski, showed he can hang in there with the big boys and he has no fear. In a big game, I would start him everytime without hesitation. What a future this child :smileani: has?

Flamini 7.5

He looks good, does his job without any fuss. A good back up player and very reliable. Reminds me of parlour..... :eekani:

Giberto 7

We didn't look like losing when he played and the sooner he comes back the better. The most underated player in the squad!!

Edu 5

Has done nothing the season, except shout his mouth about joining Barca and Real. The sooner he goes the better. :yuck:

Pires 7.5

Not at his best but when you score 9 league goals at this stage who are we to complain. If he could regain his form then we should be well set to regain our title.

Reyes 7.5

Electric start. Not sure what to think of him at the moment. He needs a long rest and has suffered the most since our loss at OT. No confidence at all, like Bobby, if he can regain his form then it will lessen the pressure on titi to score the goals.

Bergy 7

Is he finally finished? :eekani: I hope not but it doesn't look good at the moment. I think he should remain a sub for a while, because its almost like playing with 10 men at the moment when he plays. :sob:

:star: Henry :star: 9

I might be biased but I think he has been our outstanding player once again. The stats says it all. If we keep him fit we, I am confident we will win the league and maybe the UCL. Prove your doubters wrong titi :fero: :boxing: :star:

Van Persie 7.5

Everytime he comes on he looks lively, and I can see him being the new 'Ice Man'. He could be our secret weapon.

Also, special mentions to Lupoli, Owasu, Hoyte and Senderos who look like they can make the next step up.

The game of the season so far?

The Boro game, we showed the desire and determination that characterised our unbeaten run in that game.

The player of the season so far?

1 Henry, can anyone argue otherwise?
2 Cole
3 Cesc

Things to improve?

Firstly, if we are to challenge on all fronts we need to strengthen our squad and a goalkeeper, defender and midfielder would be my prefered places to start.
Vieira needs to improve and get back to his best, we will not be able to win in Europe if our midfield cannot hold posession and dominate.
The defence needs to be more organised at set pieces, a commanding goalkeeper would help, someone who can dominate this box and organise players ahead of him. Alumina seems to have communication problems, along with handling problems.
Nerves on the big occassion ;)

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Lehman-6
Almunia-6
Lauren-7
Toure-6.5
Campbell-7.5
Cole-7.5
Clichy-7
Freddie-7.5
Pennant-6
Cesc-8.5
Vieria-6
Flamini-6.5
Pires-7
Reyes-7
Gilberto-7
Edu-5
Bergkamp-6
Van Persie-6.5
Henry-9

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
great write up Titi :shades:

what i get from that, is we are 2nd in the table and through in the CL and yet we have so much improvement in the side to come, if we can somehow get it right this could become our best season ever. :happy:

again Henry even though he has got a bit of criticsm, constantly delivers :star:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, :thmbup:

Interesting fact, Sol has scored more goals from outside the box this season than RVN has in his whole United career. :howler: :proud:

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
middlesborough game was the best

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
i dislike being 2nd, 5 points is kinda far from chelski. becuase it gives them quite a large barrier. they are able to lose and still be ahead of us. however its halfway and things can still change around. but if we want to win the EPL, things have to change now.

i am not very pleased with our squad, the positions that needed fixing last season has not really been filled this season. we need another defender, and we need a world class goalie IMO. and wenger said his nto spending in jan? oh dear me...

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
how you can make such a judgement that he does not command his box on almunia is simply beyond me. How can you possibly know that??? From what i can tell he makes the defence push up much much more then lehman does which is good for the team. and is probably because he is faster then lehman and better with his feet. he is also a very good shot stopper which is what if the defence is pushed up.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
petros: quote the person you are refering to, i got no idea who you are directing your comments at...

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Excellent thread Titi. :)

I think one of players who should really improve his game is Reyes. I know he used to play as left striker in 4-3-3 formation for Sevilla, but I think it's time for him to learn more about how to be a pure left winger like Pires. He got the talent, but still doesn't have good confidence and penetration skill as well as Pires. He should learn how to cross and position himself.

And it's good to see Wenger give chances to Van Persie. He is Bergy successor and our future No.10, and I am sure even DB10 himself doesn't mind to sit on the bench to watch him grow. However, for important matches, I think Bergy's presence is still important and crucial.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
2 words

SET PIECES :nono: u know what i am cookin

·
Registered
156 Posts
It looked like Toure might turn out to be one of the world's best centre-backs. Not any more. A bit like O'Shea for us (except Toure's form hasn't slumped just as dramatically).

I think he might end up being a better RB than CB now.

·
63,337 Posts
Stretford said:
It looked like Toure might turn out to be one of the world's best centre-backs. Not any more. A bit like O'Shea for us (except Toure's form hasn't slumped just as dramatically).

I think he might end up being a better RB than CB now.
he's nowhere as bad as O'Shea, he just isn't as great as last year but he's still good and is nowhere near at dropping form.

he will be world class still, i am certain of that.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Swiftwilly said:
petros: quote the person you are refering to, i got no idea who you are directing your comments at...
i was referring to everyone who ever spoke about almunia

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Twayka said:
im sure almunia will do fine.

We should make a 'howler watch' thread everytime he makes a mistake. :devil: We could have a record amount of replies by the end of the month. :stuckup:

In all seriousness, his nerves seems to have gone now but I still dont think he is good enough. Lehmann would be my choice, but Alumina has got his chance and we should give him enough time to prove himself.

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
last season in spain he was awesome, his reflections are terrific, u should have noticed that by now, he will be very good, give him 2 more matches, and then say : bye bye LEHMAN";)

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
i find season so far appealing, should be leading from start to end, what is this sht i see,we're coming 2nd behind chelski :(

·
63,337 Posts
Swiftwilly said:
i find season so far appealing, should be leading from start to end, what is this sht i see,we're coming 2nd behind chelski :(

you were ranting the same last season and look what happened , be patient, our title wins always come from being behind at the turn of the year, it's the second half of the season that counts.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts