1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
A crap season. If FAK can qualify for Europe with a totally desastrous autumn under HöPf, you don't have to say more.

I can't imagine Sturm or Tirol qualifying for CL, partly because the only team that showed both nice and intelligent football has been GAK.
Kärnten has been the other team to amaze in a positive way, while Admira and Ried are about as exciting as Hundsheim...

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
...but then again, my weak spot for GAK, which in my book showed the real class this season, I see the good element: which is: you obviously can go under in those CL ambitions quite easily.

UEFA still holds some serious options for a fine fly. GAK can make a bigger show in the course of UEFA I feel, and that is a good thing. GAK and FAK will take care of next seasons title anyway, so let's prepare for a title fight among noble outfits !

Respect for the Arbeiterklubs, Sturm will secure UEFA and Rapunzl will avoid relegation.

PMDF

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
There is really not much to say about this season from an SKR angle - let´s just forget this season as soon as possible and hope for a better 2002/03. Wallner and Payer, partly Knez and Adamski convinced me at Rapid, the others should get their act together for next year.

Generally, I am not sure on which level this season was being played - if you take a look at our club´s international appearances, one has to come to the conclusion that it´s not a particularly high one, it seems like the bright years are somewhat over for a while now, with a financially troubled FC Tirol probably having to sell most of its key players and therefore no real chances to secure an UCL spot for autumn. Same might go for Sturm whom I rate a bit higher than next years´ FCT though - maybe one of our clubs might appear in the CL, but I doubt it.

Good luck for FAK and GAK in the UEFA cup - 2 or 3 rounds should by possible, depending on the opponent.

Back to the Bundesliga:

Ups: Bregenz and Kärnten - both showed on several occasions that they are in the BL for a reason. FAK had a sparkling spring season - if only they had played like that in last fall, who knows what would have been possible. With a revitalised Rushfeldt and the big time acquisitions of Flögel and Helstad FAK might become a force next season. Same goes for GAK who were - at least for me - maybe the most attractively playing team. I predicted them to fight for the title in winter. I was off, but they had a very good season nonetheless, maybe even crowned with the National Cup.

Downs: obviously Rapid, as much as I hate to say it. I was really disappointed and frustrated at times. I was aware that the season would become a tough one, but by no means I expected such a downfall. However, some will definitely laugh at and ridicule me again, but I see better times coming for next season (it can´t get any worse anyway), maybe with the opportunity to fight for an UEFA spot. The squad is not that bad IMO, there are some young, very promising players with Payer, Ivanschitz, Feldhofer and my man Wallner lining around some exerienced players like Herzog who still can be most influencal when in form. I hope to have a strong season at Rapid, finally being the team´s leader that he is supposed to be.

Can Admira be considered to be a disappointment? Not really. Seeing their possibilities, anything different than fighting against relegation was out of line anyway, although I didn´t expect them to go down that clearly.

Of course Tirol was a disappointment as well, from a financial point of view. All unfair competition aside - the management´s failures should have been punished much earlier. It definitely shows Austrian football in a bad light when the reigning champion is almost forced to shut down operations due to unruly financial reasons.

These are my thoughts on the BL season 2001/02

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Next season is completely unpredictable. I heard some bad rumours about Rapid, and as it looks, even Kranjcar is too expensive. Looks as Wallner has to be sold.

Rapid needs slow changes, no revolutions, because - as you say - the squad is not that bad, especially after the reinforcements brought during the season. Basically, you need more defenders and strikers, otherwise the squad will be as uneven as this year.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
With Vastic leaving Sturm won't qualify for CL (probably they miss out even on the UEFA-cup) and have a hard time to reach an EC-spot.

From today's point of view FAK win the title with GAK following close behind - FAK's Angstgegner as they showed this year.
Kärnten, Bregenz, Sturm, Tirol and Rapid could battle for the other EC-spots.

btw: Adamski, Knez and Sobotzik are said to leave Rapid according to Kurier.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Right now I would predict:
1. GAK
2. FAK
3. Sturm
4. Tirol
5. Rapid
6. Kärnten
7. Salzburg
8. Bregenz
9. Bleiberg
10. Ried

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
...too bad 2nd next season (to my knowledge) won't deliver CL quali anymore......

1. GAK
2. FAK
3. Sturm
4. Tirol
5. Salzburg
6. Kärnten
7. Bregenz
8. Rapid
9. Bleiberg
10. Ried

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
No, we secured somehow a second CL-spot for another season.
And I'm not sure that Bleiberg will win promotion.

And check your keybords: F is the left of the two buttons and G the right one, not vice versa! ;)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
FAK will definitely have the best team, if Schachner can settle immediately and doesn't change too much they will win the league.

For GAK it depends on how many players leave. At the moment it looks like Dmitrovic was going, but I think he can be replaced. I'm not that sure with Tokic, Akoto, Bazina, Brunmayr, especially if more than one of them leaves.

I'm curious about the club's politics in summer: Of course it's a "Jetzt oder nie!" moment, but on the other hand there is Tirol with their desaster...

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
So which clubs are interested in these GAK players?

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Well, if GAK loses players, then I switch the F and G keys for rank 1 and 2 in the table. Good for us, not good for the league, as GAK just built great.

If they don't lose players, then probably recent history will repeat. A team coming from behind, showing great upswing over a season, finishing high in the table and then become champion the season after that and again the following season. As with Sturm and Tirol........

;)

PMDF

1 - 13 of 13 Posts