Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chelsea supporters have voted Joe Cole the club's Player of the Year for 2008.

In the award ceremony at Stamford Bridge, Cole finished ahead of the other two nominated players Ricardo Carvalho and Michael Ballack.

It is the first time Cole has collected the accolade, which was presented by former Chelsea captain Marcel Desailly.

'I always dreamt of playing for Chelsea and my other dream was to play for the best team in the world,' said boyhood Blues supporter Cole on receiving it.

'I think I am doing both things at the moment so I am very happy.

'I take pleasure coming into work every day and playing with some of the best players in the world. I try to learn every day and we have some good banter.'

The player, who has scored 10 goals in his 53 appearances this campaign, added:

'I just try to do my best for the team. I enjoy defending, it is a pleasure for me and I just want to thank the fans for voting for me.

'It is a big night. I have had a good season but the last few weeks my performances have dipped. I have been a bit tired but I didn't play at Newcastle and I feel refreshed so I want to put in a great performance and win the game on Sunday, and I will be in tip-top shape for the Champions League Final.

'I played a lot of football this year, which I didn't last year because I was injured, and I've enjoyed it. But it will only be the best year if we put some silverware on the table.'

Desailly played tribute to the winner.

'People don't talk about it but Joe Cole has a huge capacity to help with the defending and also to bring the game to the opponents. It is amazing.'

Other awards preceded Cole's. Juliano Belletti's 35-yard strike against Tottenham at the Bridge in January won Goal of the Season, sponsored by Chelsea TV, and handed over by all-time leading scorer Bobby Tambling.

'I play in defence so I am never thinking about winning something like this,' said the Brazilian. 'It is a good sensation and I am happy.

'I tried to shoot from the outside of the box on this occasion because nobody from the opposition came to me. I see the space, I had time to prepare my body and I try to shoot because I see what is possible.

'The fans don't like Tottenham a lot so it is good.'

The Samsung Players' Player Award, selected by the squad and staff, went to Carvalho. Another former skipper and ex-Player of the Year, Ray Wilkins, plus managing director of Samsung Electronics UK MS Kim, gave the honour to the Portuguese international.

'We have so much quality in our squad and they voted for me, it is unbelievable,' insisted Carvalho. 'I don't have words to explain how I feel.'

The adidas Young Player of the Year award did not have a traditional single winner. Instead, in recognition of the youth team's exciting run to the final of the FA Youth Cup, the entire Under 18s squad was honoured, the trophy collected by captain Nana Ofori Twumasi and manager Paul Clement from former Blue Graeme Le Saux and Nick Craggs, marketing director of sport performance and Olympics for adidas.

A special achievement award was handed to Frank Lampard by former England rugby captain Lawrence Dallaglio in recognition of the midfielder's 100 Chelsea goals, with Lampard nominating his tight-angle turn and chip in Barcelona as technically the best but his two at Bolton to win the league as the favourites.

Former FA Cup and Cup Winners' Cup winner John Dempsey was the recipient of a special recognition award from John Terry for a Chelsea career that spanned 1969 to 1978 and his work since running a day centre for people with learning disabilities.

------------

Right. Joe, Ricardo and Ballack were our best performers this season IMO. Congratulations to the young team too, they are an excellent group of kids, some of them have a bright future for sure. :proud:

·
THE
14,123 Posts
It IS very difficult to pick one. I'd also add Essien, plsu we also have 2 important games left.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
I'd add Carvalho

·
Registered
17,505 Posts
ballack is our player of the season, followed by carvalho and essien

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Whats interesting is... there is no obvious Exceptional Player.

The Standards are very high all round.

·
Third Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
977 Posts
Joe Cole totally deserves that award. All season long he was constant threat from the flanks and our biggest offensive weapon.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
ballack is our player of the season, followed by carvalho and essien
What Ballack has done in such short time is incredible. He is arguably our best player in 2008. But Joe Cole has just been fantastic for us through this crazy season. He's been consistent, and from December to March he was just doing things you can only imagine a player doing. and he's English so it makes it even more crazy

·
Pepe the Beast
4,493 Posts
and from December to March he was just doing things you can only imagine a player doing
WWWWOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW........ he sounds amazing.:eek::proud:

:smileani:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts