Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got CM 03/04 on December 22 and hardly been off it since. For those who don't have it yet, I suggest you get it, it is miles better than CM4. I have only run the one nation's leagues, Spain, from First to Second B divisions, mainly for speed and this is still my first game on it.

Started as Barcelona, first season I came fourth, Champions League place, but in the January I managed to get a few great players signed up on pre-contracts for the following season. These included Henry whose contract at Arsenal was running out, Daniele Bonera from Parma and two other great players whose names escape me at the moment because it seems like years ago when all this happened. I signed David Albelda (Valencia) and Carlo Cudicini in my first season, and in the summer I added Etxeberria and a lot of others, including Coloccini and I swapped Saviola for Van Nistelrooy (this was perhaps a mistake considering their ages). However I managed to do the league and cup double, staying unbeaten until around Christmas time in the league and I reached the Champions Cup semifinals, losing to Arsenal. Following season, things started to go shaky around Christams time after I had been knocked out of the cup competitions early on and I was sacked despite being a few points off the leaders in 4th. There's gratitude for you! Before I left I signed Nihat for the following season.

After that I got the Deportivo job, didn't do too well there, then joined Sevilla, made some good future signings such as Portillo but not in time to save myself (though with these players Sevilla would win the Champions Cup a few years later). Then I had a year in the wilderness of Second Division B with San Sebastian de los Reyes and Zamora (mainly went on holiday leaving the assistant to deal with the team as Second B is beneath me really! Got the Espanyol job, did a decent job before being offered the Betis job. Did well for a bit, signed Eto'o from a Mallorca in receivership for some £10,000 but ended up losing my job when in mid-table. (We're now up to around 2009 if you're still reading).

Then Valencia came in for me and I have been there for the past 4-5 seasons, the longest I have been at a club yet. For the most part the club has had money problems, and has been in and out of receivership. I had to get rid of the highest-earners to get within the wage budget, Aimar went after one season (though he was not in myteam anyway) and Vicente followed the next season. But with shrewd manoeuvering in the transfer market, particularly taking advantage of other clubs' money problems by offering very little for their prized assets (£4k up front, £6k after 20 international appearances) I have managed to build a good squad each season. Still have not won anything at Valencia apart from the Intertoto Cup at the start of this season but we reached the semifinals of the Champions Cup last season, losing to Chelsea (they had Forsell and Carew up front).

I finally had money to spend in the summer (£9m) and this meant the board and fans expected the championship to be delivered so the pressure is on. I am in the UEFA Cup Third Round (after beating Olimpija Ljubjana and CSKA Moscow) where I face Basle in February (it is currently December 2014). After a good start, a shaky run left me fearing for my future, especially after losing 1-0 at home to Real Madrid who were top, but a 3-2 win at the Nou Camp in my next game boosted our confidence a bit, and good showings over the next five games have put us back into contention. At the moment, Real lead things and are 5 points ahead of us, with Barcelona in second 3 points ahead. But we are the form team at the moment. With the money I had to spend, I got Van der Vaart from Madrid for £3.2m, but injuries have blighted his time with us so far, I got Raul (now 37) for £600k, yes he is old but his experience and influence may prove crucial for our challenge, I spent £4.2m on 21 year old striker Santiago Dominguez from Zaragoza who is settling in well, I got Haruna Babangida from Arsenal on a Bosman free, left-back Antonio Lopez from Osasuna for £300k and I permanently signed youg keeper Michael Bonig from Bayern who had been on loan the previous season, and added international defender/defensive midfielder Jordi Garcia Garcia from bankrupt Celta for £300k, whop I had signed as a youngster while at Sevilla.

Current first choice line-up:
(4-4-2, hard tackling, build-up down both flanks, direct, offside trap, counter-attacking, normal style - depends on opponents).

Michael Bonig (good young German U-21 international keeper)

Javier Garrido (Spanish international right-back, Brazilian Daniel is reserve)

Juan Jose Garcia Granero (solid left-back)

Jordi Garcia Garcia (Spanish international who can play in defence or midfield)

Jorge Diez (international, also bought as a youngster when I was at Sevilla, went on to play for Real Madrid)

Giancarlo Ranieri (Italian international defensive midfielder, signed from Roma for £3.5m when I had to replace Leo Ponzio who left when club was in receivership)

Oskitz Estefania (tremendous Basque midfielder, bought from a skint Real Sociedad, international, most valuable player)

Carmelo (great wide player who I knew from my time at Espanyol, good assists and can play on either side or up front)

Cesar Delgado (Argentinian international, who was tremendous in my first few seasons, scored goals for fun, but whose numerous missed chances since then has led me to playing him on the left where he is doing well)

Raul (very experienced Spanish international who has started well for me and is a real influence on the side)

Alvaro Miranda (surprise inclusion in the side. Bought from Osasuna 3 seasons ago, young Spanish striker, farmed out on loan in each of the past 2 seasons, and has returned as a quality goalscorer. Scored loads in pre-season so I kept faith with him and he has not let me down. Scored a hat-trick at Barcelona in a crucial game this season, including an 85-th minute winner.

I just thought I'd let you know how I'm doing as I am currently at Uni, away from my game, and you can see the effect it has had. Now I really must revise for the exams I've got on Monday and Tuesday!!!

·
1st Tier Poster
49,282 Posts
Seeing that you have reached so far with your game, could you tell me how good is the level of new (regenerated) players in CM 03/04? In all previous CM versions there has been this regen problem: quality of regenerated players is much worse than original players in the database, so after 10 seasons or so almost all the best players in the game are over 30 years old.I wonder if they have fixed it?In CM3 it was possible to fix this problem by himself with save game editor by improving the attributes of regens with high potential ability.But there's no save game editor for CM4 :(

PS: Good luck for the exams;)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The regenerated players seem really good to me so far. The only problem is that you have to scout them to get their full attributes as they are masked to begin with and only their values are visible. This leads to loads of extra work for the scouts, obviously, and it can take a few weeks before they get back to you, especially with foreign players. At the point I have reached, there are still players such as Saviola and Adriano who are excellent, but it will be interesting to see how things are in another four to five seasons. The likes of Raul, Ronaldinho and Henry are old now, around 37, so are approahing the end of their careers. Their pace and stamina are decreasing and so it is better to look for younger players.

Zidane, Kluivert and Luis Enrique are now managers, loads of others have coaching badges and can be added to your staff. Watching out for good young players is really useful though, I recognise loads of the current Spain squad from my attempts to recruit them for just a few hundred thousand pounds a few years ago. An annoying thing is that Spanish clubs with their full quota of 4 non-EU players continually try and sign more non-EU players. Surely they would have learned by now!

Apart from that, it's been great, I just want to finally get the Spain job now, I keep getting overlooked for it. Eventually I might get round to creating another game with more leagues open, but I'm a bit too busy with this one for now!

P.S. The Spanish clubs have still got the same Presidents/Chairmen as when I started some 11 years ago. Surely they're not all like Doug Ellis, desperately clinging to power!

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Andy Christ said:
so after 10 seasons or so almost all the best players in the game are over 30 years old.
I hated that problem myself. 34 year olds playing like they were still on top of their game. :rolleyes:

Kubala, keep us updated. :cool:

Btw I've never seen Presidents/Chairmen get changed out.

·
Fourth Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Conte
7,783 Posts
Andy Christ said:
Seeing that you have reached so far with your game, could you tell me how good is the level of new (regenerated) players in CM 03/04? In all previous CM versions there has been this regen problem: quality of regenerated players is much worse than original players in the database, so after 10 seasons or so almost all the best players in the game are over 30 years old.I wonder if they have fixed it?In CM3 it was possible to fix this problem by himself with save game editor by improving the attributes of regens with high potential ability.But there's no save game editor for CM4 :(

PS: Good luck for the exams;)
the regens on 01/02 were good enough...with time they get alot better...and you notice it especially after playing in wales...

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Regens in the early versions of CM 3 were terrible, lacking determination and stamina. 01/02 took care of the problem for the most part, though there were still lots of regens lacking determination (something's wrong when the best players have only a 4 or 5 in that area). Good to hear it has improved again.

Please do keep us update. :)

·
1st Tier Poster
49,282 Posts
Tim said:
Regens in the early versions of CM 3 were terrible, lacking determination and stamina. 01/02 took care of the problem for the most part, though there were still lots of regens lacking determination (something's wrong when the best players have only a 4 or 5 in that area).
Regens in CM 01/02 were usually lacking in at least one of five attributes - Determination, Pace, Acceleration, Jumping, Work Rate.It was common to see regens of players like Nesta or Davids having Work Rate 3 or Pace 6 while their other attributes were great.It was really annoying, but fixable with save game editor.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Good point, Andy. I never paid all that much attention to Jumping, but lots of regens are either slow as molasses due to lack of Acceleration and Pace, or very lazy due to lack of Determination and Workrate.

·
Fourth Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Conte
7,783 Posts
you ever thought that the reason for that was because of:
clubs = richer
richer= higher wages
higher wages = more food
more food = fatness
fatness = lazy
lazy = lack of determination and work rate....and cant even be bothred to jump....

the spiral of decline....

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since last post, I won the league and UEFA Cup double in season 2014/2015, after stumbling upon the perfect system for my players. We were doing ok with the old system of playing down both flanks with the traditional 4-4-2 using direct passing. Then I was knocked out of the Cup by Hercules, lost 2-0 away, drew 0-0 at home after loads of chances. Then got Hercules in the UEFA Cup, and again lost 2-0 in the away first leg. Frustrated, and knowing that if I didn't do something radically different that I would again bow out of a competition, I totally changed things for the second leg at home.
I changed to a 3-4-3 with wing-backs and the two wider strikers going wide when needed. Within 30 minutes we had levelled the aggregate score by gaining a two goal lead, we added a third in the second half, and then I tried to make sure we didn't concede a killer away goal by bringing the wing-backs back a touch and the wider strikers played slightly deeper for the last 15 minutes. We did give away some chances but my keeper dealt with them fine, and we even had a few chances of getting a fourth. Since then there has been no looking back. I have changed to a four at the back with a narrow three in midfield, one slightly deeper in front of the defence. The three strikers, two of which fade away to wide positions, remain the same.
I had a great run to the title and UEFA Cup (beat Galatasaray 0-4 in Turkey, semifinal first leg, after having Estefania sent off after 30 mins when winning 0-1). Beat Werder Bremen 3-1 in final in Dortmund, when they had player sent off early on and yet they took the lead just before half-time. This season I won both the Spanish and European Supercups, beat Arsenal on pens in the latter. Through to second round of the Champions Cup after winning 6 out of 6 in group stage (I play Benfica in March), I am second in the league but still unbeaten (Deportivo are also unbeaten and doing well) and through to second round of the Cup. Signed 33 year old Adriano from Bayern in summer for £1.8m, been great so far. Says he will retire at end of season...over my dead body - signed a 2 year deal anyway, don't know what he's on about. Slightly over wage budget, need to get rid of Sunjic and Maggioni who don't feature in my plans, can't even give them away for free.

As for regenerated players, nobody stands out yet as the next big thing but there's a good Brazilian 21 year old at Inter. Name very long, can't remember it right now. I declared my interest in him (penalty for Barcelona in real life...listening to it as I'm typing...come on Barca, make it 2-0...playing Zaragoza...bear with me...come on...need this badly...come on...just before half-time...please score...Ronaldinho...come on..................................... gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Anyway where was I? Oh yeah, then his agent contacted my secretary urging me to make a bid for him, but Inter apparently disliked the fact I had no money! Tried to get a first option on him but they were having none of it. Anyway, I really must start revising!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was clear by 5 points at top of table (lost to Benfica on away goals in Champions Cup and to Almeria in Copa), cruising to league title, decided to officially warn a player for getting stupidly sent off...and they sack me! They'd warned me before to stop fining players but I only warned him! Anyway Valencia cruised to the league after I left, meaning I got no credit for it. New season has started and I am still unemployed, holding out for a good job, only offers have come from Second division teams. I am biding my time and plotting my revenge!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After spells at Espanyol, Zaragoza, Real Madrid and Barcelona (Barca in the 2nd Division), I am now at Leganes who won the league last season and offered me their job after I resigned from Barcelona because I objected to the pressure I was being put under when inheriting a mess of a squad and wage bill. After no improvement after 4 months, my job was very insecure despite 3 guarantees that I would be given time to rebuild the squad.

Anyway, currently top of the league by 4 points and through to the 2nd round in the Champions Cup where I play Schalke. Also still in the Cup. Things going well, though I will move on either in the summer or the next year as 8000 as a capacity is far too small a ground for my liking! By the way, I think it is 2018/2019 now. Also, I have no more exams now, this week coming is free so now I can really get my teeth into it! Reputation is good (before returning to Barcelona it was very good), 2 leagues won (should be 3 counting the Valencia fiasco) and 7 cups (including the supercups and 1 intertoto).

I'll keep you updated!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts