Xtratime Community banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Nun c'è Problema!
3,229 Posts
So reality kicked in. The quality (team & coach) just isn't there. EL could become a exception, but that will show after the games against Ajax.

·
Nun c'è Problema!
3,229 Posts
So there was a big glitch in the Matrix and we won against Ajax. If nothing else they showed some much needed team spirit. The negative part is that Pellegrini will continue to take the free kicks.

·
Registered
17,879 Posts
Seems crazy to fire the manager now imo. The team is handicapped by geezers like Pedro and Dzeko and he is still getting respectable results. Fluctuations are normal.

Though I did read him say that he had injuries to key players including Smalling. :cautious:

·
Nun c'è Problema!
3,229 Posts
Agree, Fonseca should stay until the end of the season.

To be fair Smalling was very good last year. I never followed him in the PL but i do remember that he was always injury prone, perfect match for Roma. Still have doubts about his permanent purchase, but when you check our defenders he quickly becomes a automatic starter. If he suits this system 3-5-1-1 is another story, as is our shaky and easy penetrable midfield, plus playing the defensive high line.

·
Registered
17,879 Posts
Agree, Fonseca should stay until the end of the season.

To be fair Smalling was very good last year. I never followed him in the PL but i do remember that he was always injury prone, perfect match for Roma. Still have doubts about his permanent purchase, but when you check our defenders he quickly becomes a automatic starter. If he suits this system 3-5-1-1 is another story, as is our shaky and easy penetrable midfield, plus playing the defensive high line.
He was absolutely shit this year for Roma the few times that he played. If you make him permanent I have lost my stars.

I was talking about keeping Fonseca into next year... What would be the use of hiring a manager like Sarri or Spaletti? That is going nowhere...

·
Nun c'è Problema!
3,229 Posts
Sadly, Roma already bought Smalling on a permanent basis (three-year contract for an initial €15 million fee, potentially rising to €20 million with add-ons).

If they fix him up properly this time, hopefully he will stay healthy and get ready for next season.

Also fingers crossed they unload the leeches over the summer (Fazio,Jesus,Pastore).

As for Fonseca, I'm not sure he will survive till the next season. If they sack him, there will always be the question "what if he had a better team", from the other prespective he doesn't really learn and adapt his play to Seria A and the tactical situations/players. I'm not entierly against Spaletti 3.0 or Sarri, but i get your point. Thats why my choice would be someone who plays a compact and effective game.

·
Registered
17,879 Posts
Sadly, Roma already bought Smalling on a permanent basis (three-year contract for an initial €15 million fee, potentially rising to €20 million with add-ons).

If they fix him up properly this time, hopefully he will stay healthy and get ready for next season.

Also fingers crossed they unload the leeches over the summer (Fazio,Jesus,Pastore).

As for Fonseca, I'm not sure he will survive till the next season. If they sack him, there will always be the question "what if he had a better team", from the other prespective he doesn't really learn and adapt his play to Seria A and the tactical situations/players. I'm not entierly against Spaletti 3.0 or Sarri, but i get your point. Thats why my choice would be someone who plays a compact and effective game.
Fonseca's style is actually pretty compact, especially in the middle. He has dropped few points against bottom 16 teams. Sarri and Spaletti would literally bring nothing more and create more merry-go-round instability. I would just stick with him. Seems like a good guy too.

·
Registered
13,209 Posts
I can see sloppy Sarri on the sidelines for Roma, a vast improvement over the lost puppy, but not quite the disciplinarian that we need.

·
Registered
46,677 Posts
Have there been talks with Allegri yet? He has to be a top choice.

Reactions: Funlovin

·
Nun c'è Problema!
3,229 Posts
Fonseca's style is actually pretty compact, especially in the middle. He has dropped few points against bottom 16 teams. Sarri and Spaletti would literally bring nothing more and create more merry-go-round instability. I would just stick with him. Seems like a good guy too.

Interesting that you see Fonseca's Roma as compact and especially in the middle. Today's match against Bologna showed all his weakness in playing a compact game. Roma had a mix of players in the first eleven, lets say more of a B team but still good enough for Bologna. He opted for a defensive start and give Bologna the ball (or that's how it looked) absorb the pressure and hit them on the counter attack, fair enough. But the defense was anything but compact, even if they defend with 5 at the back. A mixture of luck, lack of concentartion and Mirante saved them in the first half for not being 2 goals down. And this is where i start to blame the coaches tactical approach/preparation. The whole team doesn't know how to defend as a unit, they leave to much space and time to the opposition in-front of our box. They should at least know how to do that if the coach decides this is how they are gonna approach the game. Even the counter tactics (or should i say relieving the pressure) consisted of kicking the ball up field to the smallest Spanish colony consisting of Mayoral, Perez and Pedro. I don't mind that this happens now and then, but to play like that for 45min and keep in mind he opted to hit them on the counter. Then you should call your wingers, midfield to come back and absorb the pressure draw some fouls (maybe bookable offences), play one-two passes on the ground and hit them with speed, because this is what your front trio consists of. Nope, we kick high balls, not even into the deep attacking spaces. Yes, there was one half long ball pass that in the end resulted in Mayoral scoring, but it was a big mistake from their defender (to lazy to check who it was).

2nd half from Roma was a mixture of everything. Bologna's game dropped, to be fair we started to play better but where never in control. Phase of total dominance and attacking with no really killer opportunity, last ditch tackles that saved us from conceding a goal, and in the end counterattacks from which they should score and kill of the game, but didn't because of the offensive movement and egoistical choices from some players.

To conclude, start with the basics, master them so that every player knows what he has to do and how to do it and then you can start playing pass football from the back if you like or what ever you want just master the one thing first to almost perfection. I wouldn't even be mad if it would look like they are trying and fail, but there is no progress.

When we play attacking possession football we are toothless or give the ball to Spinazzola or Mhky, when we play defensive we leave acres of space from midfield on, etc.

This is all on the coach.

·
Registered
17,879 Posts
I can't comment on this particular game, but I wonder if you would say something similar about the Inter-Cagliari game from today. To me this is just ups and downs of a Serie A campaign. Sometimes you play a club that is better organized, especially when you just played in the Europa.

What you highlight to me sounds more like a lineup issue. The team is over-reliant on Miki and Spinazzola. Dzeko belongs at Al Alhy.

But I can see how being 7th in the league is disappointing, with Lazio and Napoli ahead.

What formation would you like to see Roma play?

·
Nun c'è Problema!
3,229 Posts
I've been watching football closely for more then 20 years (mostly Seria A and La liga) and of course i can accept ups and downs they are part of life :) Roma's roster the last cca. 16 years or so consists and relied on a lot of wingers and wing backs. We are talking 2005 first season of Spalletti, the birth of the false nine system etc. and from there on we never really changed the system all the coaches rigorously hold on (the club was of course also searching for these type of managers) to that philosophy with small adaptations (maybe except Ranieri). It kind of became Roma's trade mark, but also well known problem that they can't break a parking bus but also can't defend if their live depended on it.

And after all these years of Spalletti, Zeman, Enrique, Garcia, Di Francesco and now Fonseca not much has changed. And as i already wrote to be fair to Fonseca he doesn't have the best Roma team in the last couple of years but still he should be able to bring a legit fight for the 4th spot. He had his year to adapt to Seria A, he did well grinding out results against bottom teams, got figured out and never could (till this day) win a derby or big game.

The coach is payed to figure out the best system that suits his team and adapt it to his playing philosophy. So let's say his first season he started this process and by now the team is playing his way. And know we come to the problem, the team can't defend as a unit, we are over-reliant on Miki and Spinazzola, the midfield gets torn apart most of the time our attacks are mostly toothless and with no real game plan. Who's job is that? By now he should know all his players inside-out and "configure" them accordingly. Tactics, tactics, tactics...

Quality wise this team is between 7th-4th spot, but that's where the managers magic should kick in and make the difference.

Almost forgot to answer your question. I would play a similar formation, maybe more of a 3-4-1-2, but mostly i would drill their asses of to learn how to defend as a deep unit and hit on that counter, old school Valencia style :)

·
Registered
13,209 Posts
This is a strange sensation. We need a prick on the bench, fighting for us. If he brings 2-3 quality players, then I will be forced to give the Friedkins credit, and the young Friedkin is hitting Diletta Leotta, so decent taste, I see. Wow Roma.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
This is a strange sensation. We need a prick on the bench, fighting for us. If he brings 2-3 quality players, then I will be forced to give the Friedkins credit, and the young Friedkin is hitting Diletta Leotta, so decent taste, I see. Wow Roma.

When I think of Roma over the last 10-15 years I can mostly think of mediocre coaches. Coaches which on a good day get you playing fluid attractive football, but certainly a lack of grinta. I think a shift in direction is a good thing. It's a bold move that could end badly, but I think you need to take a risk.

Will be good to see him back in Serie A too.

·
Registered
13,209 Posts
Darboe. What an incredible story and what incredible composure out there in a derby for a young kid, helping to kill Lazio's CL dream. Grande goal by Pedro, too.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts