Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still a long way to go until the competition starts and i hate it ! So i'm going to give my views on next season so far..

Teams that are going to challenge for the title :

* Club Brugge : I would hate it but they have a strong team and i'm really impresses from what Sollied did with Gent so i think they made a strong move to hire him as coach. They have a strong defence and from there they can build on their games. I expect them to be very strong next season and they will be hard to beat.

* Standard : They did very good transfers and it once have to work. Although i have my questions with Ivic as trainer again. They should have a very competitive team but have to prove it.

* Anderlecht : Kept their team (until now) but the defence remains their weak point like last season i think. Really need a new striker now Ekakia is out and surely when Koller leaves.

Team for the european places if they stay close to the top 3 :

* Gent : Same team as last year with good buys : Peeters, Cipi, .. but lost their best players to Standard. Houwaert is a coach that can do some good things so i expect them to be good

* Lierse : They sold a lot of their good players like Nijs, Zdebel, .. but have a good team that can stay in the sub top.

* GBA : Good actions on the transfer market and have a good team.

* Moeskroen : Lost a lot on the midfield (Vanderhaeghe, Tange) and it will have to be wait and see what their new players do.

* Genk : They bought a whole new team and i have a big question mark by them actually. Hard to say how the team will perform the first season together.

Teams that are safe and maybe can cause some surprises :

* Sporting Waasland
* STVV
* Westerlo
* Antwerp

Teams who are going to have a hard season :

* Charleroi
* La Louviere
* Mechelen

Teams that are going to fight against relegation.

* Beveren
* Aalst
* Harelbeke

Any comments, other views,.. ??

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Ok Anderlecht bought some players and have played lots of test matches, but now the real work is coming up and Antheunis should assemble his starting 11.

This is my choice.

4-4-2

------------- De Wilde -------------

- Crasson ---Ilic -- Staelens -- Dheedene

-Van Diemen -- Vanderhaeghe --Stoica -- Goor

---------Koller ----- Dindane ------------

3-5-2

------------ De Wilde --------------

----Crasson ----- Staelens ---- Dheedene

----------Vanderhaeghe --- Bassegio ------

Van Diemen ----- Stoica ---------------- Goor

----------- Koller ------ Dindane ------------

Making these line - ups just made me realise how much good players Anderecht posseses.
We still have So many extra's on different positions: Hasi, Radzinski, Anastasiou, ( Sonko), Iachouck,......

What is our weak point?
What is your favourit line-up?

ADRIAAN
_______

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think Anderlecht should play 3-4-1-2 but in Europe it might be dangerous against the big teams because their defence isn't that solid in my opinion. Luckily they now have Vanderhaeghe who takes a lot of pressure of the defence. The defence is their weakest point but isn't bad. Midfield and attack looks impressing to me.

______________De Wilde______________

_____Crasson___Staelens____Ilic_____

Van Diemen____Vanderhaeghe______Goor
__________Stoica___Bassegio_________

___________Dindane__Koller___________

With this line up they should almost be unbeatable in Belgium or they must have a really bad day.

I would like to give Anastasiou a place in the starting 11 but now i understand why he doesn't play. Antheunis can't choose who he should take out the team (just like me :)) to let him play.

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Antheunis said in a recent interview that he would stick to 3-5-2.

i hope this will be his lineup

dewilde

crasson/deboeck???
staelens
ilic

vandiemen
hasi
stoica (give him a real chance not just 3 games)
baseggio
goor

dindane/radzinski/mbemba
koller

strong points: if stoica plays ok, our attack is very very strong.
weak points: the same as the last 10 years. the defense is way too slow and isn't strong enough in building an attack. this is something you can't do without in european top-games. if we loose against porto it will be because of the defense. to let kaku go to genk was a major mistake!!!

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
is on its way. Although it's still 3 weeks to go (the waiting is hell!) it's maybe time to take a look at the teams, every day another club. Starting with Moeskroen.

Why moeskroen? No idea, just thought of them. It's a club that I deeply respect. The coöperation between chairman Detremmerie (the only decent chairman in Belgium) and coach Broos (who I detest) is an example for a lot of teams. Or so it should be. Not surprisingely Moeskroen humiliated Anderlecht at their 2 last home games. As an Anderlecht-fan I admit it was a disgrace Anderlecht won both those games :)D).

At first sight they are weakened compared to last season. With Thange (Utrecht) and Vanderhaeghe (Anderlecht) they lost almost their whole midfield. I think they used the money they got very wise. With Cleyton and Crv (from Denderleeuw and Maasland) they bought the best midfielders in second division. This maybe won't pay of immediately, but as it was with Stefaan Tanghe, next year those 2 will surprise a lot of people.

For next season their most important buy is without any doubt Dejan Mitrovic of Westerlo. He can be the ideal replacement for Stefaan Tanghe. In a free role behind 2 strikers he's at his best.

This means:

Keeper: Vanden Driesche prooved to be a decent goallie.

Defense: Broos always plays with a defenseline of 4. De Vleeschouwer, Vidovic, Mi. Zewlakow and Casto seem to be the starters.

Midfield: The questionmark this season. Hopefully Cleyton, Mitrovic (ad maybe Crv) can fill up the gap that Vanderheghe and Tanghe left behind. With Martic (a very important player for the team) on the left and maybe Besengez on the right Moeskroen has 2 excellent wingers.

Forward: Upfront the question will be who will play along Marcin Zewlakow. This last one played a good season last year and will be eagered to do this again. I think his partner will be Nzuzi. He played some excellent friendlies and Broos will probably give this talented youngster a chance.

I think Moeskroen if Moeskroen has a decent start, it won't have the difficult season some predict it will have. The team is very talented and because Broos always plays the same system, there is conituïty even if certain important players leave. It's said the last friendly Moeskroen played they were very impressive. There opponent Twente (one of the better teams in Holland) was beaten by 2-0 (or was
it 2-1???). Anyway maybe Moeskroen can surprise. I think they will end between 4e and 8e place.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good idea gOD, well here is my opinion...

I think Moeskroen will do very good next season. Ofcourse Vanderhaeghe - Tanghe is a loss on the midfield but they bought really good. Vanderhaeghe will be the hardest man to be replaced by Cleyton or Crv i think. Mitrovic will do a good job replacing Tanghe.

As striker they also have Lawaree and the talented Vandooren. Vandooren's attitude may suck but he has some potential. Nzuzzi played some good friendlys and he it will be between these 3 for the second striker spot.

I expect much from the 2 Zewlakows next year.

Moeskroen will finish around place 5th i think and hopefully they don't have the use their 3rd goalie (Debenest) again because he sucked really big i think..

This would be my line up for Moeskroen :

Vandendriesche

Seynhaeve
Michal Zewlakow
Teklak
Casto

Dugardein
Crv
Mitrovic
Martic

Lawaree
Marcin Zewlakow

No De Vleeschauwer, Besengez ?? Pff, it would be a hard job to be a coach for me i think. I never can choose a team. The same problem every year with Megascore too :D

One more thing. You are absolutely right that Moeskroen is a good example of modern management. In Belgium the coaches are fired to quick.

Maybe we can make a list before the season starts and vote which 5 coach will loose their job first ;)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just read that Vandooren was sold. I thought the deal between Lierse and Moeskroen about the trade Vandooren - Vande Weyer was off but when i read it, i realised i was wrong...

It's time that i should be fully concentrated on football again ;)

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
I started with Moeskroen, but now it's time to go to the real deal. My team: Anderlecht.

After a winning the first title in 5 (!) very long years, many people thought Anderlecht would be selling the whole team. Big offers came in for Goor and Koller. Surprisingely it was Zetterberg who left. Although a few days earlier he said in an interview he would probably never leave Anderlecht, Zetterberg chose for the big money of Olympiakos. A stupid and under-ambitious choice.

Fact remains that Anderlecht now is without his experienced playmaker. Earlier in the season it was also decided to let Scifo go. He left for Charleroi where he will become President in the coming years.

Therefore Alin Stoica, the Prince of the Astridpark, is destined to become Zettereberg's succesor. This won't be easy. First Stoica is very young. At the age of 20 nobody had heard of Zetterberg now Stoica will have to carry the champions of 1999-2000. Also the fact that he isn't really a number 10 (he's more a 9,5) won't make it easy. I belief I Alin though. If he's given a real chance (at least 10 games) he will show everybody what a worldclass player he is!

Zetterberg's succesor is found within the team. Still Anderlecht as bought a lot of players. Especially defensive midfielders. With Besnik Hasi (Genk) and Yves Vanderhaeghe (Moeskroen) two highly praised players where bought. I f this was wise? No, walter Baseggio is the best Belgian player for that position. The money had to be spend on a decent (fast and skilled) defender.

Only Alexander Ilic was bought to strengen the defense. Club Brugge took this (as usually) the wrong way and acted childish by leaving Ilic on the bench since December. The question is will Ilic recover from this long inactivity.

Keeper: Filip Dewilde had a horrible Euro2000. i'm sure he will show Belgium and Europe that he still is one of the best! as a replacement Anderlecht bought Tristan Peersman (Beveren). A young a very talented goallie.

Defense: Still the weak spot of the team. Slow and not able to build up an attack. Antheunis will probably play Staelens, Deboeck or Crasson and as soon as he's back Ilic. Therefore the best and most underrated defender in Belgium Olivier Doll will not play. A shame!

Midfield: a lot of players for only 5 places. Goor looks to be certain on the left. The two defensive midfielders for now are Baseggio and Vanderhaeghe. I believe Antheunis is stupid enough to bring Hasi on for Walter Baseggio. Let's hope he doesn't. The attacking midfielder will be Stoica although if he doesn't perform soon enough, he will be replaced by Baseggio (also wrong miove). On the righ it will probably be Vandiemen. Once Aruna Dindane has adapted he will get his chance. Surely if the opposite side is weaker.

Attack: Definitely the "point fort" of the team. With Koller, anderlecht has on of the top-strikers in Europe. The other position will go between Radzinski, who played a disappointing season last year and the young Mbemba. The latter made a big impression on Antheunis in the friendlies. If he wasn't injured he would have got his chance against Famagusta.

Prediction: Definitely top 3 and if Stoica manage to carry the team the big favourite for the title!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 2 (Let's hope 4) most important games from Anderlecht are going to start tonight i think !

This will decide a lot for their future. When they don't get into the CL again it would be quite a disaster.

It surely isn't an advantage that they only played some friendlys before these important games.

Stoica should be given a chance but also he has to be told he will get a good chance to prove himself and not some games. When he knows he don't has to prove everything in 1 or 2 games it will take a lot of pressure of him and it would be better for the team and the player.
He surely can be the replacement of Zetterberg. But everyone also expect him to work really hard in the midfield but they also should give him the freedom to create stuff. Zetterberg also wasn't a big worker on the midfield always, so why expect it from Stoica !

Vanderhaeghe, DIndane and Ilic were the good buys for next season i think. Peersman and Pirard? are good options for the future. Hasi wasn't needed but i think he is the option for when Bassegio should leave. And also because Vandenstock wanted Vanderhaeghe but Antheunis Hasi. They better had choose only one and invested the rest from the money in defence like gOD said.

Anderlecht will end in the top-4 but to win the Championship again something should change i think. But no one is big favourite for the title..

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
First I wanted to look at GBA today, but the eufory that is surrounding Standard these days bothers me. everybody is pointing them as the big favourite for the next competition. Eveybody forgets this happens evey year, still for the last 10 years the team for Liege hasn't done anything.

Also this year Standard has bought for a huge sum of money: 300.000.000 BF (that is about 7.500.000 euro, a huge amount in Belgium). I have to admit this year they spend it more wisely. Still there is the transfer of Ole Martin Arst (AA Gent).

About 100.000.000 they payed for the co-topscorer of last year. For me the question is not will he confirm his performance of last year. The question is will he play? If you're rational about it, the aswer is no! With Mornar and Goossens, they have 2 strikers who are way better than Arst, who only can rely on his "tor-instinct". Something that will disappear once he understands that he isn't been trusted like Sollied did in Gent.

Also the young Egyptian talent El Yamani (???) looks to be a danger for the Norvegian striker. Personnaly I expect vey much from El Yamani. When given a proper chance he will surprise a lot of people. This makes 4 strikers (it's said Lukunku will be sold, but who wants a sucker like him :) )for 2 positions. I read that Mornar injured himself in the game against Stutgart though.

Also for the midfield Standard bought some players. First they brought back Antonio Folha (Porto). This Portugese playmaker was quite good 2 seasons ago, but what will he bring after a year of inactivity on the bench of Porto? An alternitive could be Harald Meysen, a talented midfielder , but mentally very weak.

The defense will be the strongest part of the team. With Brocken and the brillant Dragutinovic? Standard has 2 offesive wingers with a good cross. defensively Brocken isn't that good though. In the centre of the defense there are 2 rocks, Ciobotariu and Van Buyten, the revelation of last season.

A very good and balanced team you could say. Still there are 3 major negative points. First there is the board. Nowhere ever has there been a more stupid board that the one Standard has. Maybe it isn't stupidity, it's mercantellism. The last year Standard has become a shopwindow for player D'Onofrio is the manager of. Every time one of his player is out of a club (Cruz, Folha, Dimas...) D'Onofrio brings him to Standard. Once a big club is prepared to pay for this player, he's sold immediately. This breaks the continuity of the club. It's impossible to built a team.

Second negative point is the fact that they play Intertoto. Each team that truely plays this competition will be charged for it at mid-season. You can't play at this level for a whole year! Same thing happened under Daereden. A brillant Intertoto-campaign with an even better team (Edmilson, Wamberto...) that the one today. Still from about november they copuldn't win any game anymore.

Third and most important reason why Standard won't do anything this year: Tomislav Ivic. Maybe once a great trainer, but now a Dynosour in modern footbal. Not only is his way of playing disgusting (klotevoetbal!!!) it also is completely ineffective. First of all it has nothing to do with the way Italy played at the Euro2000. That was defending on technique and tacktics. Ivic just says 9 man on our half and 2 man can maybe cross the middle line.

Second Standard is named as one of the favourites. No reasonable team is willing to make the game at Sclessin. You will only see 2 teams on their own half. Standard won't have the luck to score 1 goal out 1 attack every game.

To make it short, Standard has a good team. I think that if they kick Ivic out (but really out this time) and they don't sell anybody 'till mai, they have a chance (a chance nothing more nothing less). This won't happen though. Therefore Standard will have to be happy if they finally manage to play European-football next year!

Keeper: Runje
Defense: Brocken Ciobotariu Van Buyten Dragutinovic
Midfield: Pierre Ernst/Vlcek? Folha Selymes
Attack: Goossens Mornar

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Standard has a really balanced team. They are the favourites for me if it wasn't that the troubles already started.

Ivic WAS a great a coach. It's like Thys said that Ivic had a great palmares but it is one from 15 years ago. The only reason why he is trainer is because of D'Onofrio.

The first problems started with Lukunku and now in the intertoto game against Stuttgart. El Yamani played on the right midfield and now there are some troubles between Pierre (also a right midfielder) and Ivic. It looks like Pierre will leave the club.
It would be better if Ivic and D'Onofrio left the club. It must be hard to be supporter of Standard these years.

The team is really good. With Runje they have a good keeper and the whole team is good. They surely have the players to play very attacking.

In defence they have the starters you said who are really good and the subs Wuillot and Vlcek are also very good.

Midfield not that good i think. Thys is a big loss and they won't get over it. Too much attacking midfielders i think : Pierre, EL Yamani, Folha,.. Only Ernst is defensively.

Attack is really good with Mornar, Aarst and Goossens. Probably they will play with Mornar and Goossens as second striker. Aarst will have the same problem like he had in Anderlecht. He doesn't fit that well in a system with 2 strikers. In Gent he was the central striker with lots of supports from the wings and Standard isn't playing that (until now)

Still i think they are the team to beat for the championship when the problems won't be too big. Sadly enough it won't be quiet around the team..

Unbelievable that a coach who was voted away by the players last season because they couldn't work with him is hired again.

They have a team to play top-3.

And their board is really professional :rolleyes: because they made a big mistake... AGAIN !

They could be kicked out of the intertoto cup because Salzburg has put in a charge against Standard by the UEFA. In the rules it is said that a representative from Standard had to be on the airport to help the team and also they should be allowed to have a training on the pitch from standard where the game is played. Nothing of this happened so it's likely that the UEFA accept it and Standard will be put out of the intertoto cup.
What a good way to start the season...

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
like i said, very good team but because of the board and trainer they won't make it... again!

where will pierre go to? he's really really good i think

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No teams were mentioned about Pierre. But it will be him or Ivic and i don't think Ivic will go already..

There will not be many teams in Belgium who can afford him i think..

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Wow, seems to be a lot of pressure on Stoica here. I really hope he shines. And Koller staying is the best news for all you Anderlecht fans. He is just so damn dominant in the air and he can pass and start the offense.

Also, it's a funny thing how Radzinski (who's is from Canada, which happens to be the place I live now) plays there too. Hehehe :) Whooo Canadian's and Romanians :)

Good Luck to Anderlecht next season.

[Edited by EclipsE on 28-07-2000 at 09:59]

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
"Goedenavond Dames en Heren. Voor de goede orde de paarse magneten zijn wij..." ;). According to the tacktical knowledge F. Vanderelst showed at the Euro2000-shows, it is a miracle that GBA still plays in the first division this year :D. Anyway fact is that Franky is on his own now. Herman Helleputte left for Harelbeke. The leaving of this humble and very, very underestimated coach will definitely be a loss for the club of Antwerp.

The second year in the existing of Germinal Beerschot Antwerp (why not simply den Beerschot???) doesn't look bad. Yes they lost a couple of player. Gunther Hofmans even had to leave professional footbal. But they also did some good transfers.

Last year GBA was Mark Degryse. For his age Degryse had a brillant season. For the second year in a row he prooved PSV wrong when they put him on the bench. Mark Degryse on this kind of form belongs in every team. Also in the national team, mr Waseigge!

I fear Degryse won't be able to maintain this dazzeling form. Question is how will GBA cope with this. I think as a playmaker a loss of form can be comensated. This is because GBA where the only team who noticed Miklos Lendvai (Geel). (Sometimes I'm soo happy there is absolutely noone in Brugge who has a minor knowledge of footbal). This Hungarian midfielder who showed some of his talents last year at Geel, will be one of the players to look forward to in the next season. I think that he will surprise people when he can play in a team where he's not the only talented guy. With his offensive and defensive quelities Lendvai can be the ideal partner of Degryse in midfield.

With Vanderheyden (left) en Haagdoorn (right) GBA has 2 excellent wingers who both have a fine cross. Still it is a disgrace they let Leonardo go back to Brazil. He was one of the few young foreigners I noticed to better than the Belgian youth. Anyway I already spend an article on him on this forum. Its GBA's loss.

Then there is the defense. With good old Rudy Smidts going to Beveren, it will be Manu Karagiannis who plays sweeper. A questionmark I think 'cause Karagiannis isn't the most intelligent player. Still along with Sandjon or Mutavdic (I'm forgetting someone here, but who???)he will be the centre of the defense.

At the left side it will be Herreman or Mutavdic. The right side will be more interesting. GBA bought Steve Cooreman from Aalst. With some impressive goals Cooreman played himself in the picture last year. Still as a defender I don't know what he's worth. I think it will be difficult for him if Svetlicic, as Serbian international, will have unlike last year a season without injuries.

The problems of GBA will be in front. With the leaving of Wesley Sonk to Genk, GBA lost his best striker. Their attack already was't that strong so now the question is how will he be replaced? They have bought Huysmans and Van De Weyer (both Lierse), but both never seem able to play at a decent level a whole season through. An alternative can be the young striker from Burkina Faso Dagano. It's said he made a big impression in the friendlies. There also is Andrei Demkine, the very talented but mentally fragile Russian striker. If he manages to put his mind together GBA won't have a problem. Demkine has it all, but I'm afraid he will never adapt to Western football and mostely not to Weestern lifestyle. A big shame!

Keeper: with leaving of Moons (a vety overrated goallie) to Genk it will be the Australian keeper Knezevic. I don't know anything about him except that he's fysically very strong and impressive.

Defense: Svetlicic (maybe Cooreman 'cause he's new), Sandjon, Karagiannis, Mutavdic.

Midfield: Haagdoorn, Degryse, Lendvai Vanderheyeden. GBA also bought Bert Dhont from Beveren. I think he won't make it in the starting 11, but he will be a very good replacement if Lendvai or Degryse gets injured.

Forward: I really really hope Demkine will come through. i love to see him play. If he doesn't it will be Van De Weyer, Huysmans. I don't think they are really compatible.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hehe, great quote from those shows :D

Helleputte might be a loss but don't they have the youth trainer of Club Brugge as second coach right now. Can't remember his name right now...

The centre of the defense will be hard to pass with Karagiannis and Sandjon. Some players already fear them when they hear those names.. :)
According to Vanderelst we can expect much from Mutavdic but didn't Svetlicic left ?

Demkine will leave GBA. He almost has an agreement with Charleroi. He is a beautiful example of a guy with talent but the wrong mentality like you say. It's a shame.

In the attack they still have Cisse Severeyns :rolleyes:

Only the midfield seems good to me. They won't have a good season and i think they are way too overhyped in the media !

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Of course there is "de cisse" how could i forget him. i read he played quite good in the preparation so the attack will be severeyns-van de weyer.

i checked the webside of gba and svetlicic was still there. last year i saw him in a friendly against wilrijk and he impressed me a lot.

second coach will be willy wellens. does he comes from brugge? the youth-coach there was hans galjé last year.

i think they will do as last year: between 5 and 8e place.

Yes on teletekst right now. demkine can leave. i think they should have given him another year. but i can understand the decision of the gba-board

[Edited by gOD on 28-07-2000 at 14:17]

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wellens, that was his name. They had like 2 or 3 youth trainers last season i think. Or they called something different maybe. There were a lot of problems about that because some people didn't really knew what was expected from them.

I'm really looking forward to see Svetlicic play then. I think Cooreman is better be used as a right midfielder but he will have problems to get a starting place for that position.

I expect GBA to be around the 8th place. They will definitely not fight for European football.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
gOD,how can you say Zetteberg's choice was under-ambitius? he goes to a better team which is definitely at CL while Anderlecht will probably be not in the CL.Do you call this under-ambitius? I think it would have been under-ambitius if he had rejected the offer.

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
I'm not saying Anderlecht is better than Olypiakos. Certainly not after the so-so game against famagusta and after I saw the buyings of Olympiakos (man they must be rich).

Under-ambitious because he had other offers from even better teams (bayern, monaco...) in even (!) better leagues.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts