Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sellick away, who would have thought it? At least we have the chance to knock them out another competition as early as the second week in January. This time last season I would have dreaded it but a trip to Dark Heid should be a doddle this time around. No doubt the dark side will be looking to bring in people very quicky in the first week of the transer window and given the calibre of player that they failed to get in the final minutes of the summer window I wouldn't rule out Michael Douglas yet.

I really can't see the Siths winning this one and at the very least we'll take them back to Ibrox for another thumping. Happy days :smileani:

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
You're getting ahead of yourself chivo. We've got a really big game coming up on Wednesday. I find myself getting bored with the same old domestic rivalries now that it looks like we'll be getting a sustained run in Europe...

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, we'll get the game in the diddy cup out the way before facing the Siths at Dark Heid.

Not wanting to bang on about restructuring the leag but if that game ends in a draw that'll mean 7 old firm games in one season. As much as I like them I think that takes the edge of the games. Wish someone would sort the SFA out and get something done about it.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Neil Lennon's suspended for the match. What a shame we won't get to see Martin do his new party piece on his home patch.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Angle_eyes said:
Neil Lennon's suspended for the match. What a shame we won't get to see Martin do his new party piece on his home patch.
He may put Juninho on his shoulders and run about with him. If he's really up for it Juninho under one arm and Maloney under the other arm would suffice too.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Yeah, maybe some kind of dual ventriloquist act. That could work. Who'd be the dummy though?

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Match confirmed as a 12.15pm kick-off on Sunday 9th January. So i'll have to get out of bed early if I want to watch it! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's on Sky which is a pain. I might go to the local to watch it but it's a big dodgy.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
chivoexpiatorio said:
Not wanting to bang on about restructuring the leag but if that game ends in a draw that'll mean 7 old firm games in one season. As much as I like them I think that takes the edge of the games. Wish someone would sort the SFA out and get something done about it.

Yeah, it's getting too commonplace, it's still a great occassion but as you say it takes the edge off the derby because it happens so much.

Did there not use to be some sort of seeding for the draw in the third round whent he premier league teams become involved?

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think there did used to be seeding at this stage but I'm not 100% sure on that. The main consensus used to be that is was always fixed anyway to ensure the Old Firm never met till at least the last 4.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I think most would argue that seeding would detract from the 'romance' of the cup. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred we don't draw Celtic, so seeding is probably not an option. Anyway, in a few weeks that could be Celtic out of yet another competition. They really seem to want to focus on the SPL this year anyway. On the other hand, if we lose, at least we'll have fewer games which will enable us to focus on our important domestic and European (hopefully) challenges.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3 weeks away now. All the pressue on the dark half. Can they stop us getting the treble this year after we stopped them? With both clubs out of Europe before Christmas they will be wanting to keep their interest in the other competitions alive, something has to give.

Should be 3 or 4 new faces I'd imagine making their Old Firm debut by the time this comes around. The game itself will probably be another explosive one and no doubt we'll be talking about it for weeks after, depending on the result.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
chivoexpiatorio said:
we'll get the game in the diddy cup out the way before...
PMSL :D

chivoexpiatorio said:
All the pressue on the dark half.
Firstly, I think you'll find that Rangers are the Dark side of the force. Satans XI.

Do you think the pressure is all Celtic's? It's not our manager who is competing for his job. WE are the Champions, lead the league and are holders of the Cup in question in this match. I'd say the pressure is all the other way. TBH although of course I want to win, I'm not too bothered about this match. In what has been a shaky season for us, I'd much prefer to concentrate on the league.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"Diddy Cup" is a reference to KH called the UEFA cup. I should have put it in quotes to make that clear but I thought most people if they'd been following the UEFA Cup thread would have realised that.

mincecfc said:
Firstly, I think you'll find that Rangers are the Dark side of the force. Satans XI.
I suppose it depends what side of the force you are on.

McLeish isn't competing for his job and the only reason you would have that impression is if you listened to the Scottish Media- which is it? No one at Ibrox has ever said McLeish's job is jeopardy. Although I've now heard you and KH now play down the importance of the domestic trophies at the end of the season if the cabinet is empty that is a disasterous season. It happened to McLeish last year and O'Neill the year before. It brings it's own pressure.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I'd have to agree that after last night, McLeish is the one really under pressure again. Celtic are, of course, under pressure as well as they won't want to lose to us 3 times in a row.

Not too bothered about the match? Sounds like a smokescreen there mincey. It's easy to say that three weeks away from the match, but after your beloved tabloid media have stirred things up in the run-up we'll see how you feel. Also, as you say, you are the holders. Do you really want to surrender your trophy against us at your own ground? The Cup mightn't be as important as the league, but I don't think either set of players would complain fo being tired with a few extra cup games to play.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I can't stand losing to Rangers and I'll be puking buckets if we lose, especially at Celtic Park where we haven't lost to you for yonks. However, in the grander scheme, I am more interested in winning the League title, it's the one that get's Champions League access, although we may have to play a qualifier again (not sure - do you know?). Yes I'd like us to win everything, but I also know the order of preference of which I'd like us to win.

chivoexpiatorio said:
No one at Ibrox has ever said McLeish's job is jeopardy.
Do they ever? I have told you before, I don't read newspapers, they are yesterdays news and always with a horrible taint, political, sporting or otherwise. I get my news from the internet in a far more timely fashion. I can make up my own mind though. To me, McLeish has made a few very strange tactical decisions, playing players out of position (using big Marv as a striker in a CL qualifier, for example and Zurab / Ricksen swapped last night) and I don't think his signings have been wonderful either. Losing so many matches to Celtic hurt Rangers hugely and the blame can be laid at his door. IMO, he was lucky to win a treble and that has distracted Rangers from the reality of how poor a gaffer he is. His comments last night that his players were "amateur" was ill-advised as well IMO, by all means criticise, but that was going too far. Personally I think, barring success, his days are numbered.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Angle_eyes said:
I'd have to agree that after last night, McLeish is the one really under pressure again. Celtic are, of course, under pressure as well as they won't want to lose to us 3 times in a row.
I still think Celtic are the ones under pressure. Put the shoes on the other foot. If Celtic had just beaten us in the league and knocked us out the CIS Cup do you not think we would be under pressure to win the Scottish Cup game at home?

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mincecfc said:
although we may have to play a qualifier again (not sure - do you know?).
To be honet I don't know. Last I heard it would be the same as last year but I think there was another country who could change that, can't remember who, by overtaking Scotland in the co-efficient table.

mincecfc said:
Do they ever? I have told you before, I don't read newspapers, they are yesterdays news and always with a horrible taint, political, sporting or otherwise. I get my news from the internet in a far more timely fashion. I can make up my own mind though. To me, McLeish has made a few very strange tactical decisions, playing players out of position (using big Marv as a striker in a CL qualifier, for example and Zurab / Ricksen swapped last night) and I don't think his signings have been wonderful either. Losing so many matches to Celtic hurt Rangers hugely and the blame can be laid at his door. IMO, he was lucky to win a treble and that has distracted Rangers from the reality of how poor a gaffer he is. His comments last night that his players were "amateur" was ill-advised as well IMO, by all means criticise, but that was going too far. Personally I think, barring success, his days are numbered.
I won't disagree with you that he ahs made errors. This is not tit-for-tat but O'Neill has also come under fire for his tactics and substitutions in Europe as well. These criticisms of obvious errors from where the fans are standing don't put the manager's job under threat. When crowd start calling for his head is usually the sign that it's time to go, or not far away.

Whether he was lucky or not he still won the treble and whether it be Celtic or Rangers that's all the fans care about. He also won the two domestic cups the year before. Last season he went in having won all 5 domestic trophies he had competed in and failed miserably. Only because he'd had to let half his side go and because of what he had done up till then got him off the hook. This season though a repeat of the same would definitely see him axed. If he had lost the CIS cup game before going out of Europe then he would have been seriously under pressure to win the Scottish Cup tie. As it stands though Rangers are only a point behind Celtic and still in the two cups so his job is not under threat at the moment.

I agree with the "amatuer" comment though but to be fair he actually described the defending on the two goals as amatuer, which they were. It would be very easy to pick those out but on the whole the performance was sloppy, casual and arrogant- they paid the price for that. However no one seems to know what the formation ws last night including me so either he hadn't got his instructions across or the players didn't understand. Whichever it was they should have known before kick off and for whatever reason he again, like in Alkmaar, chose the wrong time to tinker.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Well, I don't think McLeish is under real pressure at the moment. But there are games to be played before we meet in the cup. If we are to fall further behind Celtic then he will be the one under pressure. If we can hold our position or improve it in the meantime then both clubs will be under pressure going into the game, perhaps moreso Celtic.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Angle_eyes said:
Well, I don't think McLeish is under real pressure at the moment. But there are games to be played before we meet in the cup. If we are to fall further behind Celtic then he will be the one under pressure. If we can hold our position or improve it in the meantime then both clubs will be under pressure going into the game, perhaps moreso Celtic.
You have a point about the games in between. That could yet be a factor if both sides are not to win those. Considering Novo will be missing for the next 3 that might take a bit of work.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts