Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One in the bag and we're 3 games away from another to make the cup double. No doubt there will be changes for this match which alot of tired legs getting a rest. Ferguson we know is definitely out and you'd imagine some of the older players like Weir and Dailly will get a rest too. As long as we don't go overboard though as Partick are no mugs.

So we are at home and playing a team from the First Division. The obvious Walter line up should be:

-----------McGregor----Alexander---------

-----Broadfoot----Cuellar-------Papac

Davis---Burke---Naismith--McCulloch--Adam

--------------Whittaker

:D

The official site is saying that Naismith and Novo are likely to start with Adam possibly starting as well. No sign as usual of Buffel or Gow. Gow for me has done well in the cup games against lower league opposition so that will be a surprise if he doesn't get near the team here. If they can't get a game here then you'd have to expect they won't play this season.

McCall masterminded one of the great cup shocks in recent seasons when his First Division Falkirk side humped Hearts 4:0 so he knows what it's all about. We of course have had our problems in both cups recently with St Johnstone beating us at Ibrox last season and Clyde the season before taking us to extra time at Ibrox.

As long as there is no complacency we should win this but I don't think it will be easy. Partick do dig in and with nothing left to play for this season will fancy taking something in this one off match.

What we don't need is a replay after this.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
It's unbelievable that Buffel and Gow aren't in contention. It's something that still pisses me off about Smith. He's a stubborn old [email protected] He brought Gow into the club ffs. And i'm pretty sure Buffel is maintaining his professionalism at training. As TEH says, if they're not going to be involved in this game we won't see them for the rest of the season. The squad is a reasonable size, but this match is a great chance to give players some respite.

Thomson should come back into the midfield for this one. Whittaker, Naismith and Boyd should probably get a start too.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Keegan!!!!! :D

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Mackie!!!!!!!! :howler:

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Domestic treble is looking very possible now. :eek:

How many old firm games are left in the league and at which grounds?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
3. 2 at Celtic 1 at Rangers.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After Celtic's exit last night I wonder if Smith will be having a rethink concerning how many players he will rest. It's been a funny season for cup exits. A few shocks in Scotland and plenty in England. Smith may decide not to change the side too much.

That said I think he'll go with the following side. I can't remember if McGregor is still suspended or not so I'll go with the following:

---------------Alexander

Broadfoot--------Cuellar-----Dailly-----Whittaker

Novo--------Davis---------Thomson-----Adam

-------------Boyd--------Naismith

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
the Gow and Buffel situation has been annoying me for a while now.

In the very little we have seen of them this season they didnt do anything wrong and in the reserves Buffel was performing well for the first 2 or 3 months when he first came back from injury (i dont know how he has been recently) yet neither have been given a fair crack at the whip while others will be in the squad no matter how they are performing. I'm not demanding that they start games but they should be worth a shot on the bench.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know what you mean. Straight away Adam springs to mind and for me anyway McCulloch too. Were he not captain then certainly on the performances of recent weeks Ferguson should not be a starter but we all know what would happen if Smith grew some balls there.

The brief appearance I saw of buffel he looked sharp so I cannot understand why he cannot get near the team considering he offers us a different option. Maybe I've answered my own question there. Smith is rigid mostly on his 4-5-1. Although it was against East Stirling I was really impressed with what I saw from Gow and last season when I saw him I was impressed with him every time against the old firm. Why he can't get a game against Partick is beyond me or even get a game in the SPL. The fact that Amdy Faye has made more league starts than the two of them collectively speaks volume for me of where they fit into Smith's plans.

I've heard the rumour that we have to pay out money if Buffel plays but really cannot understand the Gow situation. From what I have read he works hard. We know he is proved at SPL level. The only thing I can think of is that he doesn't drink so maybe doesn't fit in.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Pretty shit stuff so far by the sounds of it. 0-0 at half-time. Sounds like a few of our players are taking this match for granted, with no prizes for guessing the main culprit is Adam. According to the radio McCoist was absolutely fuming at him.

If we don't score in the 20 mins after half-time it'll start to get very nervy because Thistle have had a couple of half-chances themselves, and our options on the bench are pretty limited.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
1-0 Thistle. Unbelievable. Do we never learn? We might just have pushed our luck one too many times this season.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
1-1. Thank **** for that. Waken up ya shower of bassas!

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
He might prove me wrong, but how exactly is bringing McCulloch on for Naismith going to change the game in a positive way for us when we need a goal? Unless we're going to resort to route one against our 1st division opponents. It's embarassing how we lose any sense of direction as soon as Ferguson misses a game. How the hell will we cope with Hibs if he's not playing when we can't even beat Thistle?

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
This is scary btw. Thistle could easily get a winner. We've hardly done any attacking since the goal.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Absolutely shameful! :yuck:

Quadruple my arse.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Partick deserve credit for their efforts. Thought the scottish cup was heading the same way as the fa cup for a few minutes, but gers will probably scrape the replay.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I know chivo said Partick are no mugs, but they've been pisspoor in the first division this season. No matter what players we had out tonight or how tired some of them are after the last week, we should have more than enough ability to see off that mob.

Maybe the last couple of results have been papering over the cracks. The Hibs match on Saturday now becomes absolutely massive.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know chivo said Partick are no mugs, but they've been pisspoor in the first division this season. No matter what players we had out tonight or how tired some of them are after the last week, we should have more than enough ability to see off that mob.
Yes I agree. They are no mugs and although they are midtable their games are all close. McCall also I think is tactically astute and from the sound of the commentry tonight maybe used the St Johnstone break away tactics but we should still be winning and should have won it.

It was nothing to do with Partick that we did not. We had too many players not performing. Novo is a favourite of mine but he is better coming off the bench- and sometimes he has games like that. The most disappointing aspect about tonight though is that yet again Adam and his casual attitude are allowed a start in front of others more deserving.

Another game now to add to the growing list. I really will be astounded if Charlie Adam is named as a starter on Sunday.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lucky, lucky gers. Hopefully they take the replay with more effort now.
Yes it could be the kick up the arse they need. That's two flat performances in a row and they just have to be lucky that they have not lost either match as a result.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts