Xtratime Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now we are the only SPL side left in the Cup and it's looking highly likely that barring a shock tomorrow Scotland is going to have a First Division side in the UEFA Cup next season. Good for them but yet another blow to our coefficient. Thankfully this season was a good one.

Standing between us and the Scottish cup are three sides from the division below- Partick, St Johnstone and Queen of the South. We'll have to beat them all in that order to secure a trophy that has alluded us for a while. That said it is currently the third priority in a list of three behind the league and the UEFA Cup.

We played a virtual second string side in the first match and couldn't beat the Jags. This time it will be more difficult because their pitch is a shocker at the moment. And that will be a leveller as there won't be much football played on it. For that reason there is no point in playing lightweights in this match. We need to line up with the biggest and strongest we have while probably playing route one stuff.

I'm sure Walter will rest players but I'm not sure if he'll make lots of changes. It looks like he wants to win the lot and has already said the number of games in not a problem for the players. We do though have a more important old firm match after this game so personally I'd stick with a majority of fringe players and if we go out we go out. The last thing we'd want is 120 minutes before the old firm match involving mostly regulars.

There could be a shock here I feel. Alot will depend on how we start. If we are not up by the hour mark then I would start to worry.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I was glad to hear we made it through this one with apparently not too much fuss having fielded a weakened team. We can't take things for granted, but really the cup is there for us if we play anywhere near our best in the remaining matches. St. Johnstone will give us a good game next week with McInnes in charge though. Tell me the semi-final can't go to a ****ing replay!? :D

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure it can go to a replay and with the way things have been going of late it probably will. I was impressed with St Johnstone at Love Street from the highlights I saw. They'll give us a good game but at Hampden we really should be beating them in this 90 minutes coming up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts