Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A replay here which will probably prove to be a lot more difficult than it should be. There was nothing between the sides in the 0:0 draw at Easter Road and while Rangers have won there this season Hibs have also won at Ibrox too- the only points we have dropped at home in he league this season.

This is the cup they want to win and in the cup they have knocked us out a couple of times in recent seasons. Hopefully the new found confidence under Smith will ensure that we are fighting on all 4 fronts by Monday morning again.

This is a very big 8 days for us. In this time we could be into the 6th round of the Scottish Cup, into the Quarter Finals of the UEFA Cup and CIS Cup winners. Alternatively we could only have the SPL left to play for so 3 massive matches await which will have a big impact on how our seasons progresses.

First off Hibs though who have been decent of late- nothing more. They lost to Celtic last week and lost to Hearts a few weeks back but mostly they have been doing alright. They always raise their game as you'd expect against both halves of the old firm and on their day are well capable of an upset. Once again we'll have to be on our best here and ensure no one is thinking about Thursday.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It should be a cracker. I feel another tight low scoring affair on the cards. Hopefully it will be us that get the goal. As long as we are focussed this time from kick off, unlike against Abderdeen, or they will catch us cold. Lots of thoughts will be on the midweek game.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I'd expect a few changes to the team that played on Thursday. Maybe Whittaker, Naismith, and Boyd coming in. He's also got the option of Burke, Novo, and Darcheville if he's fit.

Cousin's injury is a big blow. I always supported the guy even when his transfer was up in the air, unlike some of the hypocrites who booed him against Panathinaikos, but cheered his goal on Thursday. The squad should be deep enough to cope as long as we don't get any other injuries :scared:

I think we'll win tomorrow. 1-0 or 2-0.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Disappointed with Cousin being out, by far our best option for the system Smith favours.

Should be a good game tomorrow and hopefully a decent atmosphere too as Hibs have the whole of the Broomloan

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also forgot Flappy was suspended so we'll have Alexander in goal tomorrow. Hopefully he won't get off to a shocker.

There will be changes as already mentioned. I think Walter really should give Weir a break in this match as he must be feeling it by now. Not sure who would take his place though as we are a bit sparse there. I'd expect quite a few changes though. No doubt Hemdani and Papac will make way for Whittaker and Thomson. Dailly too will probably get a rest and to balance things out a bit with Burke or McCulloch coming in.

I'm thinking along Smith lines rather than my own here. I'd really like to see Novo played through the middle with someone to partner him in a 4-4-2. Failing that back to the old Gow or Buffel in a 4-4-1-1.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today's team:

-----------Alexander

Broadfoot--Cuellar--Dailly--Whittaker

Burke--Ferguson--Davis--Thomson--Naismith

----------McCulloch

Good to see Weir is getting a rest but I think in midfield we are overcompensated. Not a striker on show again which I don't understand. Ah well let's see how it goes.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
A 4-5-1 at home? I am not having a dig at you but your player Hibs at home, you have Novo fit, as far as I know Naismith is a forward and I dont know about Boyd & JCD.

Is McCulloch not playing out wide and Naismith is up front himself?

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A 4-5-1 at home? I am not having a dig at you but your player Hibs at home, you have Novo fit, as far as I know Naismith is a forward and I dont know about Boyd & JCD.

Is McCulloch not playing out wide and Naismith is up front himself?
It's definitely McCulloch up front on his own. I've never understood the 4-5-1 at home either and we were playing it with McCulloch up front as far back as the league win at home to Hearts. Why Smith is so cautious is beyond me playing domestically at home. As much as I respect Hibs we should have no problem playing a 4-4-2 against them.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1:0 Rangers, Chris Burke.

Not much between the teams at the moment. We'll need another. Hibs I think will score in this match.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HT: Rangers 1:0 Hibs

Hibs to be fair played the last part of the first half, when we scored, with 10 men. Ian Murray was off injured and they didn't replace him. Maybe he was hiding somewhere. ;)

As I said in the last post we'll need another goal I think. We did come close to that second half after scoring but not to be. In a weekend of cup shocks we don't want to add our name to the list.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Novo sent off not so long after coming on as a sub.

Sounded like a crippler according to the guys on BBC Radio Scotland.

Watty sent to the stand as well.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Novo sent off not so long after coming on as a sub.

Sounded like a crippler according to the guys on BBC Radio Scotland.

Watty sent to the stand as well.
Yes, very strange. For me Novo is not the Rangers player I would have thought would have been involved in such a tackle- I'm just listening to the game too. If it had been McCulloch or Adam then I wouldn't have been surprised. Sounded like a deserved red card. Smith though usually doesn't get involved so I'm very surprised at that one.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FT: Rangers 1:0 Hibs

Tight as expected but we got there in the end. A good start to 3 important matches before we play Partick in the next round of this. From what was said on the radio it sounds like Novo had a bit of a mental moment but thankfully Gatteusi wasn't injured.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Shite game and it was freezin'!

Looked like Novo went in with both feet don't think he made contact though but looked bad any way.

Yet again Hibs take the full allocation of the Broomloan and then can't fill it so today half of it was empty...

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
With the changes we made to the team i'm happy with that result. As long as we didn't pick up any more injuries it's a good day. I'm assuming Novo will be suspended for the next round or couple of rounds of the cup and won't serve a suspension in the league?

I've not seen the tackle, but it doesn't surprise me tbh. Novo does have a stupid side to him. Usually more petulant than aggressive.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
decent result although not a great performance. We did well though considering the amount of changes made.

With the changes we made to the team i'm happy with that result. As long as we didn't pick up any more injuries it's a good day. I'm assuming Novo will be suspended for the next round or couple of rounds of the cup and won't serve a suspension in the league?
Not sure but i think because it was a straight red for violent conduct he will miss the next domestic game in all competitions - which will be the CIS final which will create a selection difficulty due to Cousin also being out out, McCulloch maybe out has a thigh strain, Naismith is cup tied so only leaves Boyd and JCD of the likely Smith picks.

And JCD he might be injured as well - or if he is fit he will play on Thursday night and going on past record will be unlikely to make te game on Sunday judging by how often he picks up strains!

Surely Gow or Buffel have to be in with a shout of making the bench now...

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes he can have no complaints at all and that should shut all the paranoid androids up. Especially when you compare it to McThug's over the top lunge on Dean Holden that resulted in a broken leg yet he stayed on the park. An equally horrific challenge. Out of character for Nacho though while McThug keeps on kicking.

Great goal by Burke. I didn't think he had that kind of shot in him. Good to see him get a goal, he must be worth about £25m after that. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts