Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You have probably heard Rangers fans have turned next weekend's glamour game into a Union Jack day.

I'm assuming it will be along the lines of the infamous OranJ(Not G)e day.

A colourful day for all ;)

I suspect as usual it's just to win Celtic up.

Also - Predictions anyone?

I'll go for

Rangers 2 - 0 Celtic - SURPRISE SURPRISE!;)

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
I think Celtic will win, but I'll leave the scores to the pros;)

I also think Union Jack Day is quite horrible, but then I hate the Union of the United Kingdom so I am bound too.

Rangers really do know how to marginalize their non-bigotted fans:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
CAM"Rangers really do know how to marginalize their non-bigotted fans"

i dont get this bit cam, waht you mean?

union jack day, that is just sick! ok maybe it is a wind up, but i wish rangers fans would just pick their identity and stick with it! these brain dead fans jump on any bandwagon. the orange, not oranj as you try to put it was worse, but this is still a stupid idea.

i wish fans like TeddyBear in here would get the story sorted and get them all to take saltires, maybe celtic would feel bad for this with rangers bringing scotland flags, and maybe think twice about which flag to bring to the game next time.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
What I mean is that with garbage like this day the people like my own Rangers-supporting friend John will be put off the club.

He didn't actually believe me when I said that there was so many Union Jacks & St. Georges Crosses, until he went to Ibrox & saw it himself. And he was disgusted.

People like him are going to be put off going to Rangers by moronic days like this, & I do not believe this should happen. Just because he doesn't care whether Northern Ireland is British or not, he doesn't love the Queen & the rest of the Royals, is any less a Rangers fan than some idiot loyalist? I think not.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
yes, well said cam, its those type of rangers fans, you WANT to keep at the club. (fans like your friend)

·
Registered
892 Posts
Is everybody sure that there are so many England flags at Ibrox, are you not just mistaking them for Ulster flags.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
'Eck RFC said:
Is everybody sure that there are so many England flags at Ibrox, are you not just mistaking them for Ulster flags.
Don't be ignorant.

Although that isn't the point, because they are a Scottish team, not a Northern Irish team so the Ulster flags shouldn't be there too.

Just because they come from Ulster doesn't mean they have to bring their fvcking flags, if I go to Parma I am hardly going to be waving a Scottish flag, am I?

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JuveBhoy said:
CAM"Rangers really do know how to marginalize their non-bigotted fans"

i dont get this bit cam, waht you mean?

union jack day, that is just sick! ok maybe it is a wind up, but i wish rangers fans would just pick their identity and stick with it! these brain dead fans jump on any bandwagon. the orange, not oranj as you try to put it was worse, but this is still a stupid idea.

i wish fans like TeddyBear in here would get the story sorted and get them all to take saltires, maybe celtic would feel bad for this with rangers bringing scotland flags, and maybe think twice about which flag to bring to the game next time.

JuveBhoy, I can't help notice you had a different stance on this when ZZ600 complained about tri-colours brought over from Rotterdam? One rule for....

There's like a maximum of 3 or 4 England flags at Ibrox. Watch out for the big red hand in the middle of the rest of them!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
ChelseaBearThere's like a maximum of 3 or 4 England flags at Ibrox. Watch out for the big red hand in the middle of the rest of them!
you say taht as if having the red handin the middle means its alright!! rangers have as much connection to northern irelandas they do england!!! id rather see england flags at ibrox than northern ireland flags, as dont kid yourself, the only reason they fly these flags is out of bigotry.

In reference to celtic, they DO HAVE A CONNECTION, founded for the irish etc etc, so flying a tricolour is in the majority of cases, NOT to represent anything other than what it is. i admit, sometimes this flag is misued by moronic fans, but rangers fans have no reasons to fly flags with red hands or otherwise.

I am not at all making double standards, waht i am saying is, there is a MASSIVE difference in waving a flag, and waving a flag for bigotted purposes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
you know what would be really cool if one of the teams could prove themselves to be not as bad by having say a st andrew's cross day, show that they are proud to be from scotland

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
yea, that wouldbe great, but doubtful... i suppose the green andwhite championship flags could be pushed as opposed to tricolours, now THAT would be great!!!

·
Registered
897 Posts
alot of the flags used are to piss off the opposition supporters, but the people with them haven't realised yet that if they really want to piss them off they should have Scotland flags!

·
Registered
892 Posts
cam, you could easily take a Scotland flag to Italy and wave it at one of Parma's games. A lot of people take there countries flags to games they attend even if it is in another country.
I remember a Scotland flag was put up by someone behind neil sullivan's goal at most of wimbledons home games when he was there.
A lot of fans come over from Northern Ireland to watch Rangers play bringing there flags with them, that is what they choose to do. And why would we want to stop them.

I have also seen n. Ireland flags at liverpool games aswell.

I would rather see an Ulster flag than an English one. I do not no why but I cringe a lot more when I see an English one than an Ulster one.

We might not have any connections with N. Ireland but there are a hell of a lot Flute bands in Scotland who every year go over to Ulster to enjoy the celebrations and music.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
but these "celebrations and music" is the whole point. you make it sound ionnocent and fun, when the flute bands i assume you are talking about are 'celebrating' some old war, and these bigoted 'celebrations' do not serve any good purpose, they only aggrovate other people, and celebrate their hatred of other people.

"A lot of fans come over from Northern Ireland to watch Rangers play bringing there flags with them, that is what they choose to do. And why would we want to stop them. "
i dont think that 75-80% of the fans come from NI do you? cos thats how many flags there are.

i am used to the england flags that rangers have tried to connect themselves with, but in more recent times, this has moved towards NI flags. id rather put up with england flags, as there is less of a sinister meaning meant behind them.

p.s. i ask you to please not bring the topic of flute bands into these forums, thats just taking it a bit too far off topic. cheers.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I was just pointing out the fact that so many people go over and make Friends and what not and this is how many Rangers fans end up associating themselves with N. Ireland. With Rangers being a Scottish Protestant club the people who go over there are told and meet with people who, how should I put it, have experienced the troubles first hand. So actually yes this is all about winding the otherside up and is just Bigotry at the extreme, when I actually think about it as a neutral.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I tend to view the waving of the union jack on a par with the waving of the tircolour (some of the time!), the ulster flag does seem to have a harder edge to it.

Really on reflection it occurs why don't both of them go to the irish and NI leagues in two years time , celtic because of their marketing, oh sorry big irish connection and rangers because of their NI connection oh wait hmmm thats so non-existant i'm struggling to be sarcastic about it.

Having said that its not up to me whoever the some of the NI people support i just wich it wasn't (in general) we support them so we'll support the other mob.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So JB, from what I understand you think...

It's ok for Feyenoord fans to fly tri-colours @ Ibrox to wind up Rangers fans

But it's wrong ...

For Rangers fans to fly UJ's at Hampden to wind up Celtic fans.

Unless I've misunderstood, that looks like double standards.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Thanks for your honesty ECK.

i wasnt talking about the union jacks, i was talking more about the Northern irish flags

I tend to view the waving of the union jack on a par with the waving of the tircolour (some of the time!),
i partially agree with gildea here (shock!!) but as i said, celtic do have legitimate reasons to fly tricolours, but the vast numbers of them, im not too happy about. but as i already saud, the union jacks dont really bother me that much, its the fact that these morons are dedicated their side of the cup final to a flag of, lets face it, england, which rangers have no connection to. its quite pathetic if you ask me, just like the dutch thing. youd think tehy needed ways to entertain themselves, trying to win a game should be incentive enough. different if it was a bogey cup like the one against ayr, but i tihnk an OF cup final should be exciting enough without having to think up ways to entertain their little minds.

·
Registered
892 Posts
The only reason the Union Jack seems like an english flag is for the fact that they are proud to be British, like Rangers fans are proud to be both Scottish and British.

Don't hold this against me but I was watching Richard and Judy when it was St George's day. The had a bar graph and it showed that more people in England felt more proud being British than English, they just do not have a problem being British unlike some Scots. As I have said before Scots faught in WW1 and WW2 along with other British Citizens to keep Britain free and we should be proud and be allowed to be proud that we are Scottish and British.
Who in here does not celebrate and remember the Brave men and Women who served in these wars cos I certainly do, after all the Nazis would not have seperated Scotland from the rest of Britain if they had won

·
Registered
740 Posts
From the above post you seem to be strongly implying that people who do not consider themselves british or the british union a good thing are some how dishonoring the memory of those who fought in the world wars?

Thats the silliest thing i've read in this forum for a long time (and i do read my own posts).

Whatever peoples views on the union it has absolutely nothing to do with the world wars at all.

I'm not proud to be british as i don't wish to be, that doesn't mean i don't respect and admire some of the things the 'empire' is done.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts