Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been mentioned before but it really annoys me and deserves it's own thread. I'm a regular viewer of "match of the day" mostly because the football is good and the presentation is slick. It's a format that has been used for decades and it works fine. Why the hell did ITV decide to turn the Scottish counterpart into something that looks like a badly run panto?

I don't have access to Sky or Cable so this is the only access I have to the SPL action. For that reason I have no other option than to watch it. So what annoys me? (BTW, add your own)

• Football First is better- Scotsport give a better presentation package for First Division football than they do for the Premier League.
  • Presenters- There is no need for 3 presenters.
  • Choice of presenters- If you are going to get 3 presenters then why get someone who is looked upon as his own surname in rhyming slang, a guy who only a handful of people in the Northern Isles can understand and a woman with a huge rubbery mouth.
  • Pundits- In addition to 3 presenters is there really any need for another 4 people to appear too? The average show has 7 people appearing which means there are more people than matches on the show.
  • Choice of pundits- If you are going to get 4 people then why get two idiots as regulars. One is a football illiterate who thinks it's OK to dive. The other is a foosty old shreaded wheat head than looks like like he reeks of pish, wears red socks and just tries to be controversial. In addtion to this we have to put up with the odd media hack or manager to give their one or two lines in an hour long show.
  • Audience- Who's idea was it to stick the audience on a cardboard cutout terrace? Who in their right mind would stand there? They are not real fans they are a bunch of twats from Archie's bridge club pretending to support whatever team they are asked about.
  • Music- What is with the chilled out version of the Scotsport Music? Why didn't they just use the Football First music? They must have gone to the bother and the expanse of paying someone to come up with that rubbish.
  • Press Box- What? It's a bit of carpet with a couple of chairs.
  • Executive Lounge- What? It's a bit of carpet with a couple of chairs.
  • Coverage- The amount of time given to football action is very poor. Key moments are missed out in most games. You read about something contreversial at the weekend and wait to see it on a Monday but they never show it. Most of the time there are no replays. Overall, compared to MOTD, it is poor and even FF's is better.
  • Competitions- Outside of Scotland the SPL is regarded as a joke. This show just goes to further that perception. In order to enhannce it's reputation what do they do? Run competitions to win tickets to English Premiership matches. You really have got to laugh!
  • Keeper keepy-uppy- This crap got more air time than alot of the matches on the same show.
  • Hot Shots- 10 weeks of how hard a player can hit a ball, great entertainment :rollani:
  • Other features- 5 minutes devoted to testing different referee whistles. The same time devoted to following a club chef around at meal times. The list goes on and these features help cutdown the match coverage.
  • News- News and articles on the Champions League, UEFA Cup, Larsson, etc. I thought this was an SPL show?
  • To top it off- Spiersy playing out the show on the piano- enough said.
More to come no doubt after the next show.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I think it is the worst TV programme ever! Even worse than the talk show with Johnny Vaughn during the world cup!!!

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Have to say I avoid it most weeks. I only try and catch it if i've not seen the Rangers goals. You've pretty much summed up all of it's faults there chivo. When I do watch it I make sure i've got the remote in my hand so that I can switch off when the cringeworthy bits come on, i.e. every 2 minutes. I especially hate Sarah O putting questions to the fans. She clearly has not got a clue about football and just reads them off a script. Same goes for that teuchter. You can tell he hates football and is just using the show to try and further his career (please God no!!).

The show would probably work better if it was staged at the Pavilion or something. You could dress them all up in panto cotumes. Delahunt would no doubt love camping it up in tights. McNee would obviously be the evil old [email protected] that the audience boos.

I do watch MOTD most weeks and apart from that pr!ck Lawrenson (and Schmeichel, and maybe Hansen, actually Lineker as well) the show is a lot easier to watch. You can tell they've actually bothered to employ professional cameramen at the games, which always helps. I still maintain the quality of football in a lot of their games isn't much better than the SPL, but the way it's presented means our football looks amateur in comparison.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
annax said:
I think it is the worst TV programme ever! Even worse than the talk show with Johnny Vaughn during the world cup!!!
You haven't seen his new show then? Fight talk or some rubbish like that it's called. I haven't cringed that much in a very long time. Awful.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
Personally, I thank God for the Scottish news and Europsport. I usually see all the SPL goals on the monday news programs, so I don't need to see Sarah OOOOOOOO and the rest of the potato men on that embarassment of a show.

Why doesn't she have a real name? :howler:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't get back home in time to see the goals on the news which is why I have to watch that crap.

I don't see what is wrong with the surname O'Flaherty- she should stick to that. I had the misfortune of turning on Radio Clyde one night when she was on- turned it straight off.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I ****ing hate this programme and have yet to meet anyone that actually likes it!

Makes the coverage on Setanta or Rangers and Celtic TV look professional!

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Do you kids ever watch Football First? It's a damn travesty!

Maybe that's because they only ever show fúcking Falkirk...

·
Registered
892 Posts
That Sarah looks a right dirty, watch it just to see what she is wearing! :D

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...and another ting, showing the bloody goals at the start of the program before the highlights have been shown, tossers.

@Eck RFC- trawl the internet mate, alot better burds that that rubber-faced dug to look at.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Hate that highland pr!ck more every time I see him. Who the hell is he to be correcting and clarifying what Vignal is saying? He should have subtitles ffs. Saw a trailer for Only an Excuse and it looks like Scotsport SPL is going to get the utter pish ripped out of it. :thmbup:

Edit: Can someone not buy Archie longer trousers? I'm willing to chip in if necessary. He looks like something out of a Dickens adaptation.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good. i'm not going out this hogmany so that will give me plenty to laugh about.

About Archie, maybe Sarah O should give him her furry boots. I don't think he'll part with his slip-ons though.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did anyone see that joke of a show on Friday night? That hashed low-budget Sky Sports News for the SPL.

It really is cringe time with that lot. Imagine thinking it would be a good idea having live callers near midnight on a Friday night. :howler: Not only did some of the callers not even appear at the other side of the phone but the "Awright bawbags" just took the biscuit!

At the end of the first part the show it went into fast rewind really making this show look like a mock wind up. Then they persisted with live callers. Another guy then got cut off amid a "you're aw a...".

Should we not all as fans of Scottish football be petitioning someone to stop ITV getting the rights to the SPL highlights ever again? The laughable thing is that Football First is actually a decent program yet they have managed to continue making an arse of our top league.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Aye I saw that last week chivo. It was another pretty poor effort. And where they dig their callers up from, I have no idea :howler: Credit to them for at least making an effort to make more shows on the football front, but Sky left terrestrial lagging behind a long time ago.

Scotsport SPL is simply vulgar, by the way :yuck:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts