Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scotland manager Berti Vogts has confirmed that young Celtic defender John Kennedy will make his Scotland debut against Romania on Wednesday.

Following a string of call-offs, Vogts' team will bear little resemblance to his first-choice XI.

Paul Gallacher of Dundee United will start the game in goal, while Christian Dailly, Steven Pressley and Colin Cameron are also definite starters.

Livi defender David McNamee misses out on his debut through injury.

"John Kennedy is a young lad and he will start but it's not clear what's happening up front," said Vogts.

"We are missing a lot of key players so what can I do? I have to work hard with the players but we had a small session yesterday and today without the Old Firm players.

Burns laments call-offs
"We only get three sessions before these international matches. We have players injured and we have to train and play with the best players available."

Portsmouth's Richard Hughes was a late call-up to the squad after a spate of call-offs.

On Tuesday, McNamee and Stephen Pearson were added to a list that comprises Darren Fletcher, Blackburn Rovers striker Paul Gallacher, Rab Douglas, Jackie McNamara, Andy Webster, Kevin Kyle and Gary Naysmith.

Coventry City's Scott Shearer and Southampton's Stephen Crainey have also been drafted in.

With such a depleted squad, Vogts is aware there is a danger of another embarrassing result following the 4-0 defeat by Wales and the 6-0 loss against the Netherlands.

"I know the last performance was not acceptable but we don't want to look back," he added.

"My target is the World Cup qualifiers but from my boys tomorrow I want fire, power and commitment. We also have to be organised - better than we were in Cardiff.

"I am looking for good results and good performances. All the boys have to fight for 90 minutes.

"We missed a lot of players against Wales but my boys have done very well in the competitive matches so judge me on the competitive matches."

I have a bad feeling on this one after the wales game (who doesn't?), for this match - BV must stop the experimenting and concentrate on who will be constant first team starters, or the same will probably happen in our first qualifier as what happened in the faeroes.

Prediction: 1-1

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
1-1. Don't make me laugh! :howler:
Mate, you have no chance. :groan:
I think we will win 3-0.

BTW, your u-21s are losing 1-0.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Marius said:
Let's not get too cocky, anybody can win this...
Yes. Anyone who's name begins with R and wear yellow. ;)

HAI ROMANIA!

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do think Scotland have a chance cause Romania are going through the same stage as us where you have younger players coming through your ranks to replace the Hagis, Moldovans, Petrescus....etc. Probably one of the reasons why Romania have failed to qualify for WC 2002 or euro 2004.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
_Eight_Ball_ said:
I do think Scotland have a chance cause Romania are going through the same stage as us where you have younger players coming through your ranks to replace the Hagis, Moldovans, Petrescus....etc. Probably one of the reasons why Romania have failed to qualify for WC 2002 or euro 2004.
More-so WC 2002 than 2004. The EURO misqualification was for other reasons. :rolleyes:

Moldovan is playing good stuff at Nantes nowadays, I miss him in the NT, but we still have Mutu who is Thierry Henry when he plays for Romania, Chivu, who is always good, and loads of players who can tactically challenge Scotland with ease. You must admit that our fruitbowl is a bit fresher than yours. I don't think our style suits you at all, that why I am predicting a high win for us.

·
Registered
69,728 Posts
Mutu probably won´t play.

Anyways...I think it won´t be so easy as Raven says. I hope a great game, and a Romanian victory :)

HAI ROMANIA !!! :( ;) :mad:

·
Registered
7,513 Posts

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
And stupid soccerage were so nearly right! I have to say that whilst I didn't watch the game, the 2-1 loss can still be taken as positive. I mean hell, we didn't loss 5 goals for a change!:rollani:

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Unfortunate injury to one of your players (John Kennedy).

Apparently Scottish and British press crucified Ganea for the injury inflicted to Kennedy which was obviously unintentional.
The game was extremely physical and this was seen throughout the game. Here are a couple of pics…

http://www.gsp.ro/images/content/articles/2004/04/01/home/789920255ba4c7353c21_149_150_.jpg

http://www.gsp.ro/images/content/articles/2004/04/01/home/78989857e37b1603e9b1_132_136_.jpg

A pity the Kennedy got injured, it looks like he might be sidelined for a long time….

The physical intensity did not end even when the game had ended. Adrian Mutu ran towards the area of the stadium where Romanian fans were situated to sign some autographs but he was pushed and roughed up by the Security forces…
Mutu said he has never seen anything like this in his life (security guards roughing up players for wanting to give autographs).

Sad outcome to what was only supposed to be a friendly.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Ganea's tackle WAS disgraceful for a friendly match.

Hampden's stewards are notorious idiots, Jamie McFadden went to give signed shirt to a wee 10 year old & they gave him a hard time. The SFA need rid of them (Rocksteady I think?)

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
Hampden stewards are ********s. Known fact.

That of course doesn't overshadow the butchery of Kennedy's knee by a blatantly deliberate "tackle". Anyone who thinks that was an accident is a moron. Several Romanian players went in with studs showing during the first half, but that was the worst, an awful challenge. Done AFTER the whistle had blown.

There's a difference between being committed, as both sets of players were, and lunging into potentially career ending challenges several seconds after the ref had blown for a previous foul.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
ViscaBarcaInter said:
Several Romanian players went in with studs showing during the first half, but that was the worst, an awful challenge. Done AFTER the whistle had blown.

There's a difference between being committed, as both sets of players were, and lunging into potentially career ending challenges several seconds after the ref had blown for a previous foul.
I've watched the highlights over and over and it is difficult to determine if he did that intentionally. If it was, he should be suspended for a very long time.

You obviously haven't seen the physical provocations from Scottish players throughout the game or thought they were acceptable...

It was only a friendly but Scotland needed a win and the frustration of the players was seen through their tackles. There is no excuse for Ganea's tackle however, Scottish players provoked their opponents throughout the game.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
It was funny how Ganea tried to blame Kennedy for the tackle too. By funny, I mean incredibly pathetic, he's ruined the kids career, he's going to be out for almost a year for Gods sake!

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I think Ganea has been sharing some tips with his club team mate Henri Camara while they were both on the field today at Moulenueux, anyone else see the ludicrus hack today on Jason Dodd (Also expected to have cruciate ligament damage)? Terrible, & how he was never sent off I will never know.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
cam said:
It was funny how Ganea tried to blame Kennedy for the tackle too. By funny, I mean incredibly pathetic, he's ruined the kids career, he's going to be out for almost a year for Gods sake!
I know how you guys feel...It's sad we also had a very talented kid by the name of Marius Niculaie whom signed for Sporting back in 2001...He was one of the most promising strikers in Europe...After playing a couple of games in Portuguese leage he got injured in a similar incident and his knee cap was shattered....He tried to come back but he hasn't been the same ever since...

I think UEFA should take measures to prevent such injuries...

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
MagicalGenk said:
Kennedy's career could be ended thanks to that tackle by ganea. I'm glad he's no longer a Stuttgart player. Disgraceful.
I wish Fulham had players who could hack like that. I think Bocanegra has potential, already broke Dealneys leg. If he could just work on that menatality we could see something special.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts