Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It happened. Scotland has lost its automatic CL place. Romania just knocked Scotland out of the top 10. Let me explain.

I'm sure you're familiar with Bert Kassies' site. Here are the country rankings -> http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/crank2006.html

At the moment it looks like this:

10 Scotland 30.375
11 Belgium 30.250
12 Romania 29.124

As you know, the draw for the quarterfinals and semifinals of the UEFA Cup took place today in Eindhoven. One of the quarterfinals is an all Bucuresti affair: Rapid Bucuresti vs. Steaua Bucuresti. This means Romania will get from this quarterfinal exactly 5 UEFA points (2 points from each match as both teams are from Romania and 1 bonus match because one Romanian team will reach the semifinals of the UEFA Cup). Now, divide these 5 points by 3 (the number of teams Romania had in Europe at the start of the season) and add the result to 29.124. You'll get 30.791. That's higher than Scotland's coefficient, isn't it? This means that the 2006/2007 SPL champion won't go directly to the group stage.

You have to get your act together quickly.

·
Registered
368 Posts
And feel sorry for can't see the Rangers anymore at Europe in next season.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Marco Negri said:
Thanks to Dundee United, Hibs and Celtic for all getting knocked out so early.
Yep, and Rangers have been really innocent over the last couple of years, not to mention getting knocked out by teams such as Gothenburg, Fenerbache, and worst of all - the pub team from Czech.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Gothenburg was about 8 years ago. I don't think that counts anymore :D

You're right though. We've not been innocent. And KingKenny, i'd recommend getting satellite television :thumbsup:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Angle_eyes said:
KingKenny, i'd recommend getting satellite television :thumbsup:
lol I don't use the Satellite TV anymore and it's old thing.. UEFA Official live streaming is enough and I think I can see the Celts in Europe next season.

·
Registered
946 Posts
A.Murray said:
Yep, and Rangers have been really innocent over the last couple of years, not to mention getting knocked out by teams such as Gothenburg, Fenerbache, and worst of all - the pub team from Czech.
Missed this.

It's alright if one team does poorly. It's a different story when 3/4 of our representatives embarrass themselves.

Dunfermline, Hibs, and (to a lesser extent) us 'n' Hearts let the team down last season.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Marco Negri said:
Missed this.

It's alright if one team does poorly. It's a different story when 3/4 of our representatives embarrass themselves.

Dunfermline, Hibs, and (to a lesser extent) us 'n' Hearts let the team down last season.
Is it any different when that "one" team had around 30-40 million to spend, only to get knowcked out by fererbache who were terrible in the CL that year? Face it MN - Gers are far from being innocent due to their history ;)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Marco Negri said:
Just for the record, Dnipro fluked there way past Hibs and also cheated for a penalty. On another day, Hibs would have beat them.

Not making excuses because I know football is football and these things happen but on another day, it WOULD be different.

·
Registered
972 Posts
They FLUKED a 5-1 win eh? Right son, right.

Delusion!!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Right heres how they fluked it.

Beuzelin unlucky to deflect the ball past Malkowski.
Sheer scramble in the box for their second which could have gone anywhere.
Penalty given wasn't a penalty to start with.

At this stage we HAD to attack and obviously we had a defender or 2 at the back and thats how they got the last 2.

You'd be saying the same if that happened to Hearts, SON. If you watched the game then you'd see my point.

Tit.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I watched the Hibs game,they were really unlucky,coupla scrappy goals,and as Danny said,they then had to go for it,a good effort,even if the result doesnt reflect that.
funny game,this football.
As its only Rangers and Celtic that have had the chance to qualify for the CL,they both have to take their share of the blame,Rangers probably more than Celtic,because they've had more shots at it....
Courtesy,of course,of a superior number of title wins since the conception of the CL.

·
Registered
520 Posts
We were also unlucky in the home match against Dnipro, hitting the post twice. The atmosphere at that game didn't get the result it deserved.

·
Registered
972 Posts
In the past few seasons, we've beaten the likes of Bordeaux, Basel and Stuttgart - I think I'd be right in saying Hibs haven't won a European tie over two legs in a LOOOONNNGGGG time. Always the wee team, son, always the wee team. ;)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Heartsfan said:
In the past few seasons, we've beaten the likes of Bordeaux, Basel and Stuttgart
You're point being? This has nothing to do with Hibs falling victim to bad luck.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Anyway, so about this season, will Celtic go into the Champions League Group Stages next year? Or will we still have to play a Qualifying Match?

Hearts better not let our coefficient next year if you get to the Champions League. Surely Romanov will back you guys with money even more if you make it to the Group stages?

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
celtic are gaurenteed to play a qualifying round next season to qualify for the group stage. Dunno if you'll be seeded though, after going out to brataslava

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I think we will be seeded if we do have to play a qualifying round due to the fact that it count for the last 5 years in european competition and we've done quite well during the last 5 so, baring another artmedia we should be ok...i hope

1 - 20 of 20 Posts