Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was news to me that the Scotland Future Squad has a game next week against Austria. The game is on Tuesday 19 April at the Pappelstadion, Mattersburg. I never heard anything about that till today. Apaprently further fixtures at home to Poland and Turkey are scheduled for December and next spring respectively.

No Rangers players have been included in Walter Smith's squad but 3 Celtic players are 5 days before the Old Firm game. I'd be suprised if they don't pull out before hand.

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon (Heart of Midlothian), David Marshall (Celtic)

Defenders : Steven Hammell (Motherwell), David McNamee (Livingston), Ian Murray (Hibernian), Peter Sweeney (Millwall), Adam Virgo (Brighton & Hove Albion), Andy Webster (Heart of Midlothian), Steven Watt (Chelsea)

Midfielders: Mark Fotheringham (Dundee), Scott Severin (Aberdeen), Jamie Smith (Den Haag), Mark Wilson (Dundee United)

Forwards: Craig Beattie (Celtic), Paul Gallagher (Blackburn Rovers), Gary McDonald (Kilmarnock), Shaun Maloney (Celtic), Sam Parkin (Swindon Town)

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
How well has Jamie Smith been doing in Holland?

I'd forgot he was playing over there!

Marco Negri said:
What's the point in including Gordon? He's already played a few times for the proper, grown-up Scotland team.

He's looked pretty nervous and shakey at times when in the full team so hopefully this will be good experience....

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I have been hearing Gordon has been looking shakey for Hearts recently too. I wouldn't like to see him in the Scotland first team any time soon as he was really nervous in our qualification games.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I dont understand where Derek Riordan fits into the Scotland Squads now, he wasnt in the First Team Squad and was left in the Under 21's but surely if Walter wanted to see how he'd cope at international level he would stick him into the Future Squad cause he is without doubt one of the future starlets of the scotland team...this decision is made even more stranger by the inclusion of Craig Gordon, who has already been first choice for Scotland First Team on a number of occasions.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Including Riordan would have made sense. I'm not sure why he wasn't included but he should have been.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I'm not expecting to see Gordon as Hearts Number 1 next season and his departure from the Scotland role will follow soon after.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
The Judge said:
I'm not expecting to see Gordon as Hearts Number 1 next season and his departure from the Scotland role will follow soon after.
I have to disagree with you there, i think that Craig Gordon will be the hearts number 1 for a long time to come and although i dont see him as being scotlands long-term number 1...i see that going to marshall, i still think that Gordon will be second choice in the scotland ranks

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I heard there are quite a few players pulling out of this one. I can't say I am surprised since it's a crucial point of the season for most clubs. Seems a strange time to have a meaningless friendly that could cuase injury risk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts