Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, Luis Felipe Scolari has annonced the 18 players who will play against Bolivia in January 31st, in Brazil. These are all "domestic" players - all based in Brazil, as the Euro clubs wouldn't let anyone come anyway. :rolleyes:

GOALKEEPERS

- Dida (Corinthians)
- Júlio César (Flamengo)

WINGBACKS

- Belletti (São Paulo)
- Paulo Cesar (Fluminense)
- Kleber (Corinthians)

CENTRAL DEFENDERS

- Juan (Flamengo)
- Cris (Cruzeiro)
- Anderson Polga (Gremio)
- Daniel (Sao Caetano)

MIDFIELDERS

- Gilberto Silva (Atletico-MG)
- Kleberson (Atletico-PR)
- Juninho Paulista (Vasco)
- Kaka (São Paulo)
- Esquerdinha (Santos)

ATTACKERS

- Edílson (Flamengo)
- Marques (Atletico-MG)
- Luizão (Corinthians)
- Washington (Ponte Preta)

There are some new faces in this list; Scolari had explained that the purpose of this "domestic" team is to test some players in his system, to check if they might be useful - after all, we do have many great players in Brazil who deserve a chance. Romario isn't there, as he's not even currently fit; he also doesn't need to be tested so I don't see a problem with that.

Flamengo's young goalie Julio Cesar was called for the first time; this kid will probably be our starter for years, as he's excellent, but I doubt Scolari will bench Dida - although I prefer Julio.

Paulo Cesar from Fluminense is a very good player who plays both as rightback AND leftback, aside from being very good at freekicks. So he's very useful.

Central defenders Polga and Daniel were surprises as well; Polga is very good and IMO is first-team material, but Daniel is nothing but a huge thug. He'll probably warm the bench anyway.

Mids Esquerdinha and Kaka will also get their first chances. Esquerdinha isn't young, he's an experienced player who played only in small clubs through his entire career - and in the past two years he was two-times runner-up in the Brazilian Championship playing for small-club Sao Caetano. Santos (a bigger club) signed him up this year, and that apparently was enough for him to be called. ;) São Paulo playmaker Kaka is a young star, whose future looks brighter every time he plays. This kid will go far, and his chances of making the WC are good indeed.

Scolari added that some "domestic" players couldn't be called due to injuries, so the next "domestic" call-up may bring more surprises. After the match against Bolivia, Scolari will announce the players who will face Saudi Arabia in Riad on February 6th.

The likely eleven for the game vs. Bolivia:
Dida; Juan, Anderson Polga and Cris; Beletti, Gilberto Silva, Juninho, Esquerdinha and Paulo Cesar; Edilson and Luizao.

I'd use Julio Cesar instead of Dida, but that's not what I think will happen. Good luck to our lads! :) ;) :cool:

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
You know, the really worrying thing (and Uruguay and Argentina face this, too) is the true national teams probably won't even get together until maybe a month before the Cup. And with the problems in finding a cohesive unit Brazil has been having, it makes it even harder to gel. It'll really be up to the regulars like Cafu, Roberto Carlos and Rivaldo to bring their A games, since they are virtually guaranteed a spot.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fingers Crossed!

I agree, this will only make thing harder. In a sense, Scolari may be just what we need for such a situation; he won't have much time to train the team and make it become cohesive, but he's a great motivator. So Scolari may be just the man for the job: Since we won't be able to build a decent team in time, he may be able to get the players to fight a little harder, give a little more sweat, run with a little more spirit.

IMO that's our main chance in this WC: If we can ally our technique with the typical Scolari fighting spirit. I mean, let's face it: Brazil won't have a lot of "teamplay", we won't be able to beat France or Argentina that way. We won't have time to "gel", as you put it, and Scolari, having been hired just last year, can't make miracles in terms of tactical cohesiveness. So we'll need a little extra effort from our stars. Hope it works. :)

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Let's hope Bolivia win this game and Felipao gets booed out of this game and hopefully loses his job!

A guy that does not call romario because of "techinical aspects" must be shot in a public square.... WHAT A KUNT!:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :frownani:

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Seems to me that if Scolari resorts to this 3-5-2 of his, he'll need somebody who can score from nothing, because he'll likely get nothing. We've always said Romario can score from just a few touches, but he's got to get the touches. He could be the perfect choice in a team that could potentially leave the forwards with little service. If the forwards can't score with the little bit they get, then Brazil is in trouble.

That said, if Scolari allows his 3-5-2 to be an attacking one, then the team could be extremely potent in the attack. And Romario would have a field day.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Daeone,
after all, what are you trying to say?:confused:

About the service, with Rivaldo being the only man to link the midfield with attack, i doubt any center forward will have any service unless Edilson is a starter.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
World-Portugal-based Jardel eyes World Cup place

LISBON, Jan 24 (Reuters) - Forward Mario Jardel hopes to convince Brazilian trainer Luiz Felipe Scolari that his prolific goal scoring in the Portuguese premiership can earn him a place in Brazil's squad for the forthcoming World Cup.

Sports daily Record on Thursday said Jardel was ready to miss playing for Lisbon side Sporting in a Portuguese semi-final clash on February 6 in order to play for Brazil in a friendly against Saudi Arabia.

``The Europeans have great respect for me and I think I will be important in the World Cup. I believe in myself,'' Jardel, 28, was quoted as saying in the Record.

Jardel, who plays for league leaders Sporting in Lisbon, is the premiership's top scorer with a tally of 22 goals, despite a late start to the season after a transfer from Galatasaray.

He leads his compatriot Derlei Silva, who trails in second place on 15 goals.

Jardel was also the Portuguese premiership's top marksman for four seasons in a row between 1996 and 2000, when he played for Porto.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jardel's self-confidence is touching. :rolleyes: I wonder if he'll ever be used in the National Team the way he likes, with everybody going to the wings and crossing all balls for him. I can't see it happening; it would take a specific selection of players who don't mind "servicing" a striker all the time. Roberto Carlos doesn't do that, Denilson does. Edilson doesn't do that, Cafu does. Rivaldo might do that, but I wonder if that wouldn't be a waste.

And the press would definitely want to fry the hide of whoever tried this "crossing balls only" tactics. It's far removed from what Brazilians expect from the Seleção, y'know?

Jardel definitely was born in the wrong country. Imagine if this guy was German! :dazed:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Somethinng more about Jardel

As you have said: Rivaldo might do that, but I wonder if that wouldn't be a waste.

After seeing the last Barça game, wheres Rivaldo kicked all the corners(for COL, only the coach knew why) and in the center of the area there was only 1.69 m Saviola, than you can see what is a real waste.

I felt a real nostalgia for Jardel at that moment.

Maybe you are right that he was born in the wrong country, I wish he were Catalan and playing for us

·
Registered
2 Posts
ROMARIO HAS TO BE IN THE SQUAD IF HE ISNT SELECTED BRAZIL WILL BE ELIMATED EARLY IN WC2002 MARK MY WORDS THEY MIGHT AS WELL KEEP THERE SUIT CASES PACKED ANY WAY WE WILL HAVE TO WAIT AN SEE I HOPE THEY LOSE AGAINST BOLIVA AND THE COACH GETS SACKED BRING BACK PERRIA FROM 1994
MAKE ROMARIO CAPTAIN IN THIS HIS LAST WORLD CUP MAKE RIVALDO THE LIN UP MAN ROMARIO AND RONALDO IF HE RECOVERS DOUBLE STRIKERS RIVALDO JUST BEHIND THEM WAHT A COMBO THE WORLD WANTS TO SEE THIS THE THREE R'S WELL LETS HOPE IT COMES TRUE FIRST THE COACH NEEDS TO BE SACKED.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ze da Fiel said:
Garrincha,
imagine if he was Scottish?;)
I guess Jardel would be worshipped as a GOD if he was Scottish. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
World-Pro-Romario fans barred from Brazil training camp

GOIANIA, Brazil, Jan 29 (Reuters) - Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari barred spectators from the team's training camp on Tuesday after protestors waved banners calling for veteran striker Romario to be called up.

Brazil are preparing for a friendly international against Bolivia on Thursday. Since arriving in the central Brazilian city of Goiania, Scolari has been heckled by fans demanding the return of Romario, who plays for Vasco da Gama.

Scolari was initially upbeat about the protests. ``This is great because it is a sign of popular participation and democracy... We accept it,'' the manager known as ``Big Phil'' said on Monday.

But Scolari apparently changed his mind about the value of democracy and fans were excluded from the training session on Tuesday.

The Bolivia game will be the first in a series of warm-up matches in Brazil's build-up to the World Cup finals in South Korea and Japan starting on May 31.

Some supporters were not impressed with Scolari's decision.

``I think he is a coward. If he can't take the pressure from the Brazil fans, what is he going to do in the World Cup,'' said Amarildo Mendes, a 36-year old fan.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My Opinion

That's just cheap populism from the Brazilian press. CBF - our confederation - needs political favours to protect their corrupt officials from the law. So they're distributing these friendlies among "friendly" governors, like the Goias governor. But to "milk" the presence of the Seleçao politically, the politicians turn the training sessions - which are rare and tremendously valuable for the coach these days - into open-doors shows for everyone.

So all these unemployed guys spend their days watching the team train and yelling about Romario's absence (they don't ever support the team, because the TV cameras wouldn't be interested in recording that; ALL they do is insult the players and demand Romario all day long, every day). Some people go there with their entire families, it all becomes a public circus with popular musicians trying to get shown on TV and all kinds of attention-hungry guys.

The press only feeds this bad attitude: instead of engaging on important discussions about tactical choices and such technical things - which would be pointless as Scolari has the final word, AND doesn't sell papers - they do nothing but write endless articles about Romario's absence, as if nothing more mattered. I don't think Romario's absence is the only subject the press might cover, but it certainly must be the one that sells more newspapers. :rolleyes: This one-track-mind demonstrated by the press fuels the public's dissatisfaction towards Scolari: The media has a great influence over public opinion (as we all know) and this causes the chorus whining over Romario to become deafening.

So our National Team couldn't work properly in training, because any mistake was greeted with boos and jeers, and everytime anyone touched the ball the crowds began to scream that Romario is better than all others. Now, I don't think the matter here is wether Romario should be with the team or not. They are trying to work! They won't have a lot of time to work before the WC! This isn't a public square, it's their workplace! HOW can they concentrate on learning a tactical system with a constant chorus of insults surrounding them and telling them they are worthless?

IMHO these people have no business watching a training session if they can't respect the professionals who are trying to work. I agree that the doors should be closed for these people.

The press, after Scolari gave the order to lock the gates, began showing "poor kids who traveled miles with their parents to see the Seleção"... how sad... how brutal... and they blame Scolari! Why not blame the unemployed bozos who wouldn't let the NT train? THEY demonstrated a total lack of respect and education. And they should be left out.

But sadly, the aforementioned governor of Goias ordered the gates to be opened again, as HE wants the public circus for the people - and obviously couldn't care less about the National Team's training. :mad:

:yuck:

·
Registered
334 Posts
An excelent post, Garrincha

Unfortunately, so many non- sport issues and interests around the footbal players and coaches.

And do not think it happens only in Brasil

The politics, the press, the agents, so many interests, they all manipulate the crowd and damage the teams performance.

I am a fan and allways want to know everything about my team, "my" playeres, but I understand perfectly why Felipao or any other coach will intend isolate them in order to obtain some peace and quiet

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Scolari just announced the starting 11 for the game against Bolivia.

Dida

Juan - Cris - Anderson Polga

Belletti - Paulo Cesar

Gilberto Silva - Juninho - Kaka

Edilson - Lucio

Not too bad IMO if the strikers partnership works, I think these might be the players of choice for the WC.

Now as far as Romario, at this point Scolari will live or die (figuratively speaking) with Brazil winning or losing the WC. If I was him I'll be doing the same thing. If I am going to get screwed may as well do it with the team and style I choose, not the one the freaking media or joe public wants. Afterall it's his ass on the line not ours or the media's.

So I don't see Romario getting into this team anytime soon and Ronaldo barring a miracle he will also be probably left out. I agree 100% with Garrincha at this point you have to go with the healthy bodies that are willing to leave everything on the field and willing to sacrifice their egotistical styles and adjust to the system Scolari wants. And if someone doesn't like that, well tough. His job is to win the WC not to bring back Brazil glory days or whatever is that the media and general populace wants.

So go Felipao!!!!! I'll be cheering for him and his team.:)

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Garrincha,
populism?? common, Felipao is under the orders of Nike not to call ROmario otherwise he will rob the show that has been prepared for Ronaldo to do in the WOrld Cup. Fortunately the guy can't play 1 game without be sidelined for one month , and now in the next call ups Felipao might lighten up some inteligence in his stupid brain and call ROMARIO, instead of calling techinically superior players like WASHIGNTON, MARQUES, EDUARDO COSTA, CRIS etc...etc...etc...

It's waht the guy today said on the TV: "Felipao is doing an excelnt PhD thesis on how to lose a World Cup"

I hope it's Bolivia 6 x0 Brazil

FORA FELIPAO!:yuck: :yuck:

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Romario and Scolari

Gabemar, I'm not necessarily against Romario going; I just think the media is dragging this subject for far too long. I seriously think Romario is the most technically gifted of our strikers, but I also think that he would need to recognize the hierarchy in the Seleçao. If he acts like he owns the place, he won't be helping all that much.

It comes down to something Parreira (one of the best coaches in the world IMHO) once said: When you're deciding which players you'll call up, you need to weight the "pros" and "cons"; how much this player will help, and how much he'll damage the overall work. If Romario insists on making a mockery of the coach's authority, he WILL be damaging the work and creating problems. Added to his publicly-known refusal to help defensively, the "cons" may be a bigger list than the "pros".

As I said, I don't know if he should go or not, I don't get paid to decide this. Scolari does. :)

Ze da Fiel said:
Garrincha,
populism?? common, Felipao is under the orders of Nike not to call ROmario otherwise he will rob the show that has been prepared for Ronaldo to do in the WOrld Cup.
Ze, do you sincerely believe that?? :confused:

·
Registered
334 Posts
JESUS, YOU ARE AMAZING, ZE

Do you really wish the selecçao to loose just to get at Felipao?

You remind me of some Barça fans.

I tend to agree with Garrincha this time, with all due respect to you Ze

1 - 20 of 26 Posts