Xtratime Community banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari is set to showcase the side he intends to play at the World Cup in Wednesday's friendly against Portugal at the Alvalade in Lisbon.

Scolari has been building his first team ever since Brazil's laboured World Cup qualification and after repeatedly leaving out Romario, Mario Jardel and Giovane Elber for the past six months, is confident he now has his team.

"The defence and the midfield are sorted and in attack I want Ronaldinho, Rivaldo and Ronaldo, who I hope will be able to rotate positions. From now until the World Cup I hope it will be possible just to do fine tuning.

"The pressure has decreased substantially. The qualifiers and the matches that preceded this phase of friendlies are behind us. I think the fans, who are the ones who determine how much pressure there is, have understood my philosophy."

Big Phil revealed that a 3-5-2 system is his preferred tactical option, but admitted he is prepared to switch to 4-4-2 when necessary.

Barring injury, the coach is clear that in front of Corinthians goalkeeper Marcos, the back three will be formed by Bayer Leverkusen's Lucio, Anderson Polga from Gremio and Roque Junior from AC Milan.

Roma captain Cafu and Real Madrid star Roberto Carlos are to play down the flanks.

Gilberto Silva (Atletico Minas) and Emerson (Roma) will function as holding midfielders with Ronaldinho, of Paris-Saint Germain, playing behind a front pair of Rivaldo (Barcelona) and Ronaldo (Internazionale).

Scolari's main concern is to ensure Ronaldo improves his match fitness, although the striker, who is only now fully recovering from his exertions at the last World Cup, was encouraged by scoring twice against Brescia on Sunday.

The 25-year-old is likely to play for just 45 minutes on Wednesday.

Portugal manager Antonio Oliveira, meanwhile, cannot field his first-choice side as Rui Costa and Nuno Gomes are both injured.

This is of serious concern. "Unfortunately, I haven't got a full squad at my disposal and our World Cup campaign depends on how many of our players we can count on," he said.

Benfica winger Simao Sabrosa and Sporting midfielder Sa Pinto have already been ruled out of Japan and South Korea.

Sabrosa twisted his knee in the 4-1 thrashing by Finland and is out for six months, while Sa Pinto has also injured his knee and has needed a complex operation.

However, the good news is that Real Madrid playmaker Figo, Porto goalkeeper Vitor Baia and Espanyol midfielder Paulo Sousa have recovered from injury.

"We're aiming to have a good run but we will only do so if we have our top players," he said. There are always injuries and my main concern is not losing any more."

Oliveira, who will name his final 23 on May 13, trusts that Portugal will be able to consign the humiliating loss to Finland to the past. "I hope my side will be able to raise their game," he stressed. "These are the matches that my players like the most.

"We're facing a side who most of us support when Portugal are not in the World Cup. Brazil are always Brazil - they are the four-times winners of the competition and are very strong.

"This game is a major part of our preparations. Two great sides will be on the pitch and although the result will only count towards statistics, it will be highly important to us."

The most damaging absence is that of influential playmaker Rui Costa, who has been plagued by injury and loss of form at Milan this term.

Portugal (probable): Vitor Baia, Abel Xavier, Fernando Couto, Jorge Costa, Rui Jorge, Paulo Sousa, Petit, Sergio Conceicao, Figo, Joao Pinto, Pauleta

Brazil (probable): Marcos, Lucio, Roque Junior, Anderson Polga, Cafu, Gilberto Silva, Emerson, Ronaldinho, Roberto Carlos, Rivaldo, Ronaldo

1 - 1 of 1 Posts