Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Barcelona have been linked with Scolari and is one of the candidates to replace useless Rijkaard next season after he leaves the Portugues NT. The question is, do Scolari always use wingbacks or his tactical system at the last world cup was to do with having very offensive full backs in Cafu and Roberto Carlos?

·
Registered
594 Posts
The first time he used 3 defenders like in the world cup was in Brasil .
In Palmeiras he used 3 DMs , and that gave more freedom to his wingbacks Arce and Junior(and his AM Alex) , but not as much as in seleção´s 3-5-2 .
Anyway , if he doesn´t have the right wingbacks I´m sure Felipão can adapt(I don´t know the right spelling) , before he became seleção´s coach he didn´t like to use 3 defenders in his team , yet it was with 3 defenders that he won the WC .

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ivan Palmer said:
The first time he used 3 defenders like in the world cup was in Brasil .
In Palmeiras he used 3 DMs , and that gave more freedom to his wingbacks Arce and Junior(and his AM Alex) , but not as much as in seleção´s 3-5-2 .
Anyway , if he doesn´t have the right wingbacks I´m sure Felipão can adapt(I don´t know the right spelling) , before he became seleção´s coach he didn´t like to use 3 defenders in his team , yet it was with 3 defenders that he won the WC .
Thanks Ivan Palmer :) . Now I've been told that he is currently using a 4-4-2 formation with Portugal.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
No, Scolari has no tactical preference. You're right in your assumption, Angel_Cule; the 3-man defense that he employed in the WC was specifically devised to take advantage of Cafu and Roberto, who are better attacking than defending. ;)

But before that, he always tried to adapt the system to the available players. For example – in Gremio, where Scolari had a very successful period, winning the Brasilian championship and the Libertadores (among other things) he always used a purely-defensive fullback on the left side, Roger.

Felipão doesn't like to "invent" stuff... he believes in using the players where they can deliver. :)

·
Administrator
30,029 Posts
actually he sometimes used Roque Jr as a third defender , but only as option for momments of the game...And in Cruzeiro he also used it.
how people can forget the tatic of bololo, when started to put every single foward in the team and throw the ball in the area to see what happens...Euller was quite helpful them :D
Scolari is very adaptative indeed but I only believe he will left Portugal if they fire him .

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Angel,

Apart from the tactical system, Felipao will give BArcelona a winning mentality...... something they have not had since the days of Romario IMO (i'm no barca expert, but it always seemto be a club that is scared of winning IMO)

Felipao or Luxemburgo will take taht away from the club;)

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Ze da Fiel said:
Angel,

Apart from the tactical system, Felipao will give BArcelona a winning mentality...... something they have not had since the days of Romario IMO (i'm no barca expert, but it always seemto be a club that is scared of winning IMO)

Felipao or Luxemburgo will take taht away from the club;)
True. But I'd like to change that to Cruyff and not Romário. We won our one and only Champions League trophy with Cruyff and without Romário.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts