Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Latest from onefootball.com has Mehmet Scholl withdrawing from the World Cup. The Bayern attacking midfielder has been hampered with injuries all season, leaving his club and country without the creative spark that has been so lacking. At 31 years of age, his body isn't what it used to be and he needs sufficient time to heal for the upcoming season. He hasn't personally talked to Voeller yet, but the Nationalmannschaft manager will try to convince him otherwise.

Scholl missed the 94 and 98 World Cups. Korea/Japan would have been his last chance to shine at the international stage. There would be a huge creative hole on the left if he withdraws. Judging from the game against Argentina, Frings looked quite good on the right, but there was just no action coming from the left. We desperately need Deisler to return as I am not sure that Ballack can shoulder all the attacking responsibility by himself. If Mehmet Scholl withdraws, he will be sorely missed.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Shocking really..i cant undersatnd why..?some players wouild give an arm to go to the world cup..babbel,effe and now scholl...,what the hell is going on..?.

I hope scholl changes his mind..:depress:

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Scholl isnt out yet..he has a meeting with Voller this week and then he'll confirm.......i think Volelr will take him for sure

·
Registered
17,550 Posts
Marvin is right, in the German TV they said there will be a meeting and Völler will try everything to get Scholl in the squad.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought that was what I said.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I honestly don't understand why he wouldn't want to go...
He has never been to a World Cup, don't tell me he's becoming another Effenberg and Babbel

I really hope he will make the trip, thousands of german fans will be counting on him

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mehmet Scholl has had a horrendous time with injuries this season. At 31 years of age, the boy just doesn't recover like he used to. My guess is that he wants to preserve his club career with Bayern, who pays his "rent". Playing in the World Cup would indeed be an honour, but if it jeopardizes his career, it may not be worth it.

Jeremies played injured against Real Madrid last season. Did doing so damage him to the extent that he hasn't fully recovered? Did it do permanent damage? Will he ever return to the hard tackling pit bull that he was?

Scholl is probably asking the same questions for himself. He does appear to have a fragile frame. And he may have come back too early. Perhaps he feels he needs sufficient time over the summer to heal to properly give his best for Bayern next season.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm sorry but I take it as a major insult if Scholl refuses to play

and it's not a question of me being selfish as a fan, because I would understand if he told Voeller to keep him as a sub; but this is insulting
It should be an honor to play for your country at the World Cup even if just a small role,
maybe he should have chosen to play for Turkey because he certainly doesn't have any patriotic pride
All my respect for him has disintergrated

I will wait untill he gives his reasons for not participating but if it is because he wants to prepare for the new season, then I stick by my judgements :mad:

·
Registered
17,550 Posts
Scholl is out and he is also out of the national team forever :(.
I don't take it as an insult, I guess he isn't fit and so it wouldn't make sense if he would be taken. Btw, it seems like if Deisler won't be at the WC aswell :(.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is a big shame!

Last match he played against Hertha and he was ok!
This is unbelievable! There is so much time to the World Cup.
He is so important for Germany with his skills.
Ronaldo was almost two years absent, and he wants all to do to go to the WC to represent his land!

This is a truly shocking news for Germany, and i will never forget if Scholl stays home. It could, and should be a hard time for him in Germany, if he stays home, a big big shame!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Basti said:

maybe he should have chosen to play for Turkey because he certainly doesn't have any patriotic pride
All my respect for him has disintergrated
Basti, those are some big words for a player who has given his all for Bayern and Germany in the past ten years. Scholl is unselfish and regardless of his roots, he is a German national. It is a pitty to read from of these comments. I find it selfish to accuse a player of not being a national only because he feels he won't serve Germany well with his form. Rudi himself was convinced with Scholl's reasons and I think that is more than enough to tell you about his health status. Just like everyone else here, I was pinning hopes on Scholl driving Germany far beause he is the only creative player left in Germany's ranks. Scholl played in the Hertha game too easrly but had sacrificed his health for his team. Just like Jeremies, Scholl is one of those loyal players and it would be a shame for any Bayern fan to accuse him the way you did.

Scholl will always be my favourite player, even if he does not play for my beloved Germany. He is being unselfish and giving the chance for a player who is able to give 100% percent rather than 50%.

I wish Scholl the very best of health. I do hope he changes his mind but if he does not, I won't hate him. As a true Bayern fan, I have too much respect for Scholl and his contribution to Bayern and Germany.

·
Registered
33 Posts
at least he is responsible....

Playing for your country in the World Cup is indeed a honor for a player. Then again, if his body can't assure him playing 100%, then there is no point for him to play. Frankly, what he did is correct in my view. It shows his responsibility for his country, for his team, as well as for his coach. Now the coach will have enough time to look for some other players. Of course, he will miss his last opportunity to play in the WC. But, he isn't selfish enough to be on the team just for the sake of playing in the WC. He figures if he can't give 100%. Then, it's only fair for someone who can to be on the squad. Thus, from that aspect, I tip my hat off to him for his honesty and selfishless.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Tigerheart said:
Scholl is out and he is also out of the national team forever :(.
I don't take it as an insult, I guess he isn't fit and so it wouldn't make sense if he would be taken. Btw, it seems like if Deisler won't be at the WC aswell :(.
I agree. Without Scholl and Deisler, it will be a huge disappointment for the Nationalmannschaft. After seeing Ballack play against top flight competition like Argentina, I think it will be a shortened campaign in Korea/Japan. Frings looked good, but he also is majorly lacking in international experience. There just isn't enough creativity. That in combination with the absence of a good striker bodes unfortunately for a poor result this summer.:(

·
Registered
17,550 Posts
It wasn't Argentina who made Ballack look average but the German team, let's not always kick Ballack as he is by far our best player next to Kahn. (just in case you didn't read my first 100 posts about the great Ballack :tongue: ) ;)

If Ballack gets the full squad and not 8! starters missing (I wonder how Argentinian fans could say they didn't have a full squad :rolleyes: ;)) then for sure he will also rock against Argentina or any other team.

What we definitely need is a goal scorer, maybe instead of Scholl Böhme can play on the left side of a three men attack :undecide:.

·
Registered
67 Posts
OK before I get bashed for what I said, I just want to say how can you say he's telling the truth?
I'm not calling him a liar but I don't think that's the whole truth in the matter of him not playing in the WC... there's still 5 weeks left

if he does not play in this weekend's fixture then I respect that as HE IS still injured

but I'm still curious why he can't play as a sub in the WC

I honestly think he doesn't want to play as he might get injured again resulting in a mediocre season and in the end Bayern selling him off

·
Registered
194 Posts
atleast if it has hamman or jeremies ,one could have swallowed it,we have 2 creative midfielders who can produece a bit of magic to decide a match and on of them isnt going :depress: !!!

Is there any one in this german team now who can curl a freekick over a wall rather that try to smash that god damn ball and take the wall along with it into the goal?:rolleyes:

I bitterly dissapointed,with scholl and deisler i was pretty confident of a victory in that first round game against ireland,they're tough to break down(just ask portugal and the weeping dutch),now i dont know...

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you want to call any player selfish, you can go ahead and go the likes of Bierhoff Selfish. A player who is past his prime and cannot deliver for the national team, and still believes he deserves a starting position in the national team...Scholl is not one of those. You can hate him if you want, but please do not accuse him of not being a national just because he believes he cannot be of help to the national team. He is the type of player that either gives 100% effort or rather give someone else the chance to contribute to the success of the team. Last week he played for Bayern because Effe was suspended and the creative hole was missing. It was a crucial game and he sacrificed.
I am bitterly sad that he won't be going but I do understand his reasons. I've been there and I know the consequences of not listening to your body when it can't give anymore :(

·
Registered
17,550 Posts
I agree with q80, if he doesn't think he can help it's much more honorable than if players think they can help but can't do that at all :D.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
guys.......im still optimistic...i think he will change his mind in the end and specially if Deisler fails to go to the worldcup. so let's pray he'll change his mind cuz its important to have him,and deisler and ballack in the team.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts