Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LONDON, April 13 (AFP)
Former Danish international goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel is to join First Division champions Manchester City, manager Kevin Keegan confirmed Saturday.

The City boss swooped to sign the former Manchester United legend after Aston Villa manager Graham Taylor opted not to renew the giant Dane's contract.

"Peter will be playing for us next season," Keegan said after his side's 3-1 win at Gillingham.

"The deal is done and I am absolutely delighted. He should be at the club next week and subject to a medical he will be with Manchester City next season.

"He is a tremendous professional and has a winning mentality and you cannot have enough of that around a club.

"I wanted to stop the speculation. I had a meeting with Peter and his agent on Thursday and in 20 minutes he decided he would like to come to City.

"He is a tremendous presence. I think the two goalkeepers we have here at the moment, Carlo Nash and Nicky Weaver, and the two youngsters we have are excellent.

"But they all know that they can learn something from him and with him coming on a year's contract, it is up to them to show their improvement."

Schmeichel, 38, won five English Premierships titles and the 1999 Champions League with United.

He made his last appearance for the English giants in the dramatic Champions League final victory against Bayern Munich in Barcelona.

Schmeichel then moved to Sporting Lisbon where he conceded fewer goals than any other keeper in his first season in Portugal.

He joined Villa on a free transfer last July on a one-year contract but Taylor and him agreed that he should leave when the former England manager told him he could not guarantee him a permanent first team place.

On Friday Villa manager Graham Taylor explained why Schmeichel was leaving the club.

He said: "When Peter joined Villa he had a verbal agreement that he would be the club's first choice.

"I was honour bound to comply this agreement but, as the options on his contract had to be decided by May 1, I thought it was important to sort out this situation as soon as possible.

"There are four games to be played and Peter Enckelman will now come into the side. He has served his apprenticeship under both David James and Peter Schmeichel and deserves his chance.

"I would not even consider asking Peter Schmeichel to be a substitute as he is a legend in his own right.

"Peter Schmeichel has been in a league of his own but Villa now have to look to the future."

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
The great Dane returns to Manchester! I think he made a good choise in moving to City. It's a great club, which will play in the Premiership next season and I also think they'll challenge the other clubs in stayig up, pretty well.

So thumbs up Schmaichel:)

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
I wonder how the united fans will react on this one...

I also thinks its a little bit unfair to Nash and Weaver to drop them...but on the other hand, Schmeichels experience and leadership will be extremly important to them.

He signed this contract so damn fast after he got fire from Aston Villa...I wonder if he really thought over other contract propositions... :rolleyes:

Wouldn't danes like it more if he went home to Denmark to finish his fantastic career?

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Wakky said:
Wouldn't danes like it more if he went home to Denmark to finish his fantastic career?
Well there has been talks about him moving back to Brøndby, where he got sold to Man Utd from. But I don't think it'll happen. He's talking about being a coach in a British club, so I guess he'll stay over there.

·
Rising Star & XCC Winner 2002
868 Posts
As Yakubu I don't think anyone expects Schmeichel to return to Denmark. After he failed in Hvidovre I think he will stay in the UK as a coach, just like Mølby has done.

I have to say that I think it is a mistake to go to City concidring that he has never tried to hide his love for United. The supporters wont cut him much slack and he is not the mistake-free super keeper he was some years ago.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I was actually quite certain he'd return to Denmark when I heard he'd been freed, but I guess he'll do like Mølby. Now, I don't really know what to think about this. In one way, it's awesome, because City's a club with great ambitions, and a great team, on the other hand... if he has a few bad games, they'll act like he was 32 in CPH. What I'm trying to say is, a short run of bad form, can make him unpopular both in City, and who knows how the Man U fans will act?

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
I think Schmeichel should have ended his carreer by the end of this season. He has had a fantastic carreer that most players can only envy him and with this move his risks embarrasing himself.

Actually I don't like Schmeichel all that much. As a matter of fact I think he is an arrogant pr!ck. The way he left Villa was not nice at all. He wanted a guarantee from the manager that he should be first chance next season too. How on Earth is a manager supposed to give such a guarantee? Especially to a player aged 38!

Stop mens legen er god, Peter.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Peter is a great goalkeeper & I wish him the best of luck at Man. City. He is a true legend in the game of football & he has been my favourite player for many years now. I thoiught he would of gone tpo Denmark to play one last season for Brøndby. :)

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Peter Schmeichel has been one of the greatest keepers ever. But nowdays he is far from his old class and is starting to look like Neuville Southall, an overaged keeper witch a body weight close to 110 kg. I feel very much for Peter but I think he should quit with the honour as one of the all time greatest. I mean he can only lose by doing this move and continue playing for years and years in a league like the premiership. Wasn`t one of the reasons that it was too though in England and that he didn`t have time to train properly one of the reasons why he left in the first place?

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Robban said:
Wasn`t one of the reasons that it was too though in England and that he didn`t have time to train properly one of the reasons why he left in the first place?
So he sad... :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts