Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the name of the thread suggests, here we can enter the big fights which have been scheduled for 2004 as theyve been announced.

Artur Grigorian vs Acelino Freitas- Jan 3rd

Both undefeted so something has to go. I dont rate freitas as high as some but i feel the fight is a little too late in grigorian's career for him to beat Popo.


Mosley Vs Winky- 13th March

For the undisputed jr middleweight championship. This will be a fight for the boxing purist being more boxing than slugging. Should prove to be interesting although as i expect it to go the full way. Winky has been moaning about not getting any big fights so lets see if he can live up to it more. Believe it or not i can actually see winky taking this on a close points victory.

Manny Pacquaio Vs Marquez

Possibly THE fight of the year in this match. Pac-Man has risen to be on everybodies mind while marquez has been the underrated man of the division for years now- ask hamed why he didnt fight him. I can see this going further than the barrera fight possibly to 10 but at this early stage im going to go for a pac-man TKO around then. However both will definately go down in this match.

Arturo Gatti vs. Gianluca Branco- January 24

Gatti isnt the best fighter but makes every fight entertaining. Branco on the other hand is an unknown quantity to me and in a division this deep god knows how he has a title. The importance of this is that theres alot of talk of Gatti being Hattons's next opponent.
(same card) Joan Guzman vs. Agapito Sanchez



Danny Williams vs. Michael Sprott- January 24

Antonio Margarito vs. Hercules Kyvelos- Jan 30

Clinton Woods vs. Glen Johnson- Feb 6th (robbery first time:mad:)

:thumbsup: Feb 7 (Good day of boxing)
Kostya Tszyu vs. Sharmba Mitchell
James Toney vs. Jameel McCline
Matt Skelton vs. Julius Francis

Joe Calzaghe vs. Mger Mkrtchyan- February 21

February 28
Jesus Chavez vs. Erik Morales
Miguel Cotto vs. Victoriano Sosa

March 6
Joel Casamayor vs. Diego Corrales (candidate for fight of year)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,010 Posts
i hope roy jones fights and gets ****ed up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BLAQUEST said:
i hope roy jones fights and gets ****ed up
your not one of these that believe Tarver beat him are you?:eek:

though if tarver forced it he could of won that comfortably with the shape Roy was in.


I dont agree in saying for Roy to be ****ed up but if hes going to hold the heavyweight championship atleast face his madatory (though i believe hes relinquished it now:confused: )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maz said:

Artur Grigorian vs Acelino Freitas- Jan 3rd

Well it was an easy unanimous decision for Freitas knocking Grigorian down 4 times.
Scoring: 116-107, 116-107, 115-108

In the other big fight of the night Ouma beat Candelo by TKO in the 11th.
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Junior is most likely IMO, to fight for a title at cruiserweight in the near future, to become the first fighter EVER to hold titles at middleweight, supermiddleweight, light-heavy, cruiser and heavyweight.

Blaquest: There's not a fighter in the world who could "fukk up" Roy Jones Junior.

Maz: I didn't think Tarver won the fight. all he did was fight for the first 30 seconds, run away and then fight for the last 30 seconds.


The fights that have been made that I'm really looking forward to are Manny vs. Marquez and Sugar vs. Winky.

I'm considering going to the Sugar vs. Winky fight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doc_Rule said:
Junior is most likely IMO, to fight for a title at cruiserweight in the near future, to become the first fighter EVER to hold titles at middleweight, supermiddleweight, light-heavy, cruiser and heavyweight.

Blaquest: There's not a fighter in the world who could "fukk up" Roy Jones Junior.

Maz: I didn't think Tarver won the fight. all he did was fight for the first 30 seconds, run away and then fight for the last 30 seconds.


The fights that have been made that I'm really looking forward to are Manny vs. Marquez and Sugar vs. Winky.

I'm considering going to the Sugar vs. Winky fight.
I dont have a doubt Junior would beat all the Cruiser's at the moment. Jirov would get picked off coming at him although thats possibly the closest matchup out in the cruisers for him. Unless Toney come down but with his mindset he probably thinks he can win the Heavyweight title (though if he beats Mccline I wouldnt bet against him in a match against Byrd)

I dont think Tarvar won either, all he did was come forward and get caught with scoring shots by Roy. However to me Roy looked extremely depleted in trying to get to the weight and wasnt his usual self. If Tarvar had forced the fight more and not be so *****-footed IMO he would have won.

At the moment Im looking forward to Manny Vs. Marquez definately along with the Sugar vs. Winky match. Along with those the Mccline Vs. Toney fight has caught my eye. The fight will be won outside the ring and I want to see if Toney is able to physch the big man out or Mccline will truly believe he can win unlike before matches. Rumour is Toney Vs. Wladimir would take place if both win there matches coming up. For me that would be a bridge too far for Toney.

And about going to the Mosley- Winky fight. If you do your one lucky bugger, just for the spectable even if the fight dont live up to the hype.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59,034 Posts
Not a great date to schedule a fight but on the 14th of February, Samil Sam and Krasniqi will meet in Germany for the European heavyweight title.

I was wandering how many of you guys have seen these 2 heavyweights?

IMO Sam is powerful but too slow and Krasniqi looks alright but he doesn't seem very powerful. The lack of KOs on his record speaks for itself. Dunno who to tip to be honest but Sam probably to win cos of his power is my tip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wally said:
Not a great date to schedule a fight but on the 14th of February, Samil Sam and Krasniqi will meet in Germany for the European heavyweight title.

I was wandering how many of you guys have seen these 2 heavyweights?

IMO Sam is powerful but too slow and Krasniqi looks alright but he doesn't seem very powerful. The lack of KOs on his record speaks for itself. Dunno who to tip to be honest but Sam probably to win cos of his power is my tip.
Going to be a good fight. Sam was really exposed against Gomez and if Krasniqi can use similar tactics (gomez didnt have power too) im sure he will win.

Very bad news

Kostya fight is OFF
Toney fight is OFF

however rumours that Hopkins Vs Jones might happen:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59,034 Posts
Had a look at the Sam - Krasniqi fight which ended in Krasniqi winning on points. Split decision. THe judges actually had it tight but I'd have given Krasniqi even more points. Sam looked slow and short of ideas. Krasniqi was always quicker for the punch. Wasn't a bad fight btw. I expected a slow slugfest.

Krasniqi is now being lined up to meet Chris Bryd I heard. Winner of this fight was going to become the mandatory contender for him!
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
It seems that Mr. Mosley is getting a little bit ahead of himself. In one month he faces IMO the best fighter in his weight division(including Shane himself), Winky Wright. but rather than concentrate on that fight, he's going around making deals to fight Trinidad next. I hope Winky beats Shane and gets the big payday against Tito for himself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doc_Rule said:
It seems that Mr. Mosley is getting a little bit ahead of himself. In one month he faces IMO the best fighter in his weight division(including Shane himself), Winky Wright. but rather than concentrate on that fight, he's going around making deals to fight Trinidad next. I hope Winky beats Shane and gets the big payday against Tito for himself.
Reminds me of the Mayorga situation before fighting Spinks. Winky is one of the most underrated boxers as those who dont appreciate pure boxing skills dont rate him. Tito needs to have a couple of fights IMO before stepping into such a profile match.

Ricky Hatton seems set to fight Lovemore Ndou next (who many believe beat Sharmba Mitchell last week). Interestingly enough Sharmba will be fighting Eammon Magee on the same card. Im a little dissapointed that FW managed to get Sharmba over and yet not to face Hatton. However atleast a direct comparison can be made again to Mitchells performance and we can see if Hatton performs any better. By this time next year I expect to see Mitchell-Hatton and while its also of note than Ndou is one place higher than Tackie so Hatton is atleast not taking the usual WBO route of the Warren fighters (Calzaghe anyone). Likewise I suppose we should take into account that Sharmba will not want to take any big risks like Hatton at this time with the Kostya match still in eye- though Magee could cause a major upset.

Ruiz is set to fight Mcline I believe. Definately a fight that I have no interest in.

About Kransniq-Byrd, Byrd has got an easy fight against somebody undefeated with a paper record next. I cant remember the first name but the surname is Noble.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,634 Posts
Krasniqi is now being lined up to meet Chris Bryd I heard. Winner of this fight was going to become the mandatory contender for him!
...is the fight scheduled for any date, or is it still being considered???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,566 Posts
Maybe this is the year that Joe Calzaghe will meet Roy Jones Jr.

Joe moving up to 175 and with Jones looking to stay there this might very well happen.

Calzaghe has no hope in hell what so ever with RJJ,But this is the big payday and title fight he is looking for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Daniel_LFC said:
Maybe this is the year that Joe Calzaghe will meet Roy Jones Jr.

Joe moving up to 175 and with Jones looking to stay there this might very well happen.

Calzaghe has no hope in hell what so ever with RJJ,But this is the big payday and title fight he is looking for.
I think Roy is being lined up for a rematch with Antonio Tarver.

Also Oscar is fighting Sturm for the WBO title. If he wins that and Hopkins beats (insert name i forgot) which is on the same card they will be due to meet at the end of the year:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On the Winky Wright Vs Sugar Shane card there is a very interesting matchup on the undercard

Joe Mesi (28-0) vs. Vassiliy Jirov (33-1)

Joe Mesi was shown to be not all that by Barrett in a match I felt he lost on points. Jirov everyone will remember from his fight of the year against Toney and moving up his size and power will be in question. He was an easy target at Cruiser so at heavy the big question will be can he take Mesi's shots

April 10th looks like being a great night for boxing fans

At The MEN Arena, Manchester, England
Michael Brodie (35-1-1) vs. Injin Chi (27-2-1)

This starts the night off in the eagerly awaited rematch. Close first time but i felt Chi just nicked it and what they done to him after awarding him the match was just wrong. And then they dont give the rematch him his homeland.

Then from Mandalay Bay

HBO) Cory Spinks (32-2) vs. Zab Judah (30-1)
(WBC, WBA, and IBF Welterweight belts)

(HBO) Wladimir Klitschko (42-2) vs. Lamon Brewster (29-2)
(WBO Heavyweight belt)


Spinks-Judah will be a match and a half. But a big complaint of mine is why Mayorga didnt get a rematch. Mosley got one against Forrest, Forrest one against Mayorga so why
Mayorga wasnt given a rematch is beyond me.

In the latter match it seems a blowout for Wlad. However Lamon has huge punching power so if he mounts a Saunders we COULD see Wlad lose. I doubt it but Lamon will need a early rampage to win this fight.

Toney is rumoured to fight the winner
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Maz said:
I think Roy is being lined up for a rematch with Antonio Tarver.

Also Oscar is fighting Sturm for the WBO title. If he wins that and Hopkins beats (insert name i forgot) which is on the same card they will be due to meet at the end of the year:cool:
Roy will hammer Tarver this time. He hasn't got to deal with the weight issue and can concentrate on beating that big mouthed muppet.

Hopkins will hammer Oscar if they fight. Hopkins vs. Winky Wright is a fight i want to see.
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Daniel_LFC said:
Maybe this is the year that Joe Calzaghe will meet Roy Jones Jr.

Joe moving up to 175 and with Jones looking to stay there this might very well happen.

Calzaghe has no hope in hell what so ever with RJJ,But this is the big payday and title fight he is looking for.
Won't happen Joe C isn't enough of a name in the states for Junior to be interested. Hopkins is probably the biggest fight he could get. He should beat Johnson and then look to fight Tarver. A win there would make his name and give him the draw to make the Hopkins fight
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Doc_Rule said:
Hopkins will hammer Oscar if they fight. Hopkins vs. Winky Wright is a fight i want to see.
A good fight for De la Hoya to take IMO. Theres no one in the game that he can fight right now who will give him a guranteed $30 million other than Hopkins.

Hopkins is 39 and by the time of the fight will be 40, by then age may have caught up with him and Oscar sees this aswell. Hell i bet hell try to delay the fight until mid next year so that the Hopkins he fights will nearly be shot.

Style wise I dont feel De la Hoya will be "hammered". I dont think hell win but it will go the full 12. De la Hoya wont get picked off like Tito as he doesnt pressure forward, likewise Hopkins doesnt apply sustainable pressure in his prime let alone at his current age.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,566 Posts
I dont think Oscar has any chance beating Hopkins.
Bernard Hopkins maybe 39 but he shows no signs of slowing down yet,Reasons for this,Bernard Hopkins keeps himself in very goos shape cause he is in the gym everyday.It will be sad to see but Oscar is gonna get hammered by the ruthless Bernard Hopkins.
The only way Oscar will win is if Hopkins turns up on the night and fights the way a man of his age does.That wont happen,Hopkins will beat Oscar.
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Maz said:
A good fight for De la Hoya to take IMO. Theres no one in the game that he can fight right now who will give him a guranteed $30 million other than Hopkins.

Hopkins is 39 and by the time of the fight will be 40, by then age may have caught up with him and Oscar sees this aswell. Hell i bet hell try to delay the fight until mid next year so that the Hopkins he fights will nearly be shot.

Style wise I dont feel De la Hoya will be "hammered". I dont think hell win but it will go the full 12. De la Hoya wont get picked off like Tito as he doesnt pressure forward, likewise Hopkins doesnt apply sustainable pressure in his prime let alone at his current age.
Hopkins isn't the type of fighter who will be shot within a year, he takes good care of himself and since he doesn't fight all that often his body doesn't take much abuse.

Hopkins is more of an attacking fighter these days and he'll go after ODLH. And if Oscar runs like he has a tendency to do then the judges are going to give it to Hopkins if it's close(Trinidad and Mosley fights are perfect examples of Oscar running, and losing).

The fight will take place in November by the sounds of things, Hopkins will knock him in 10 IMO.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top