Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone probably knows this, but I'll post it anyway.
If thee ae any flaws, please correct them.

If Ecuador beats Mexico tonight (tomorrow early morning), Croatia is into the 2nd round with a win over Ecuador. However, whether we get 1st or 2nd depends on the Italy-Mexico match. If they tie and we win, we get first. Whoever wins, it goes to goal difference.

If Mexico wins tonight, then we're prbably looking at a three way tie for first. Once again, given that Croatia beats Ecuador. When it comes to goal difference, I'm not even gonna touch that cause I don't know. This is how I see it.

Mexico beats Ecuador (but guess who I'm rooting for)
Italy bets Mexico
Croatia beats Ecuador

3 WAY TIE FOR FIRST, and it goes to goal differential.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
I think the best thing tommorrow is that Equador and Mexico tie. This will pretty much eliminate Equador and put Mexico in a huge hole.

If the above happens, lets look into the future...

Italy should beat Mexico....Italy will then be 2 wins 1 loss with Mexico at 1 win 1 loss and 1 draw.

Croatia beats Equador...Croatia 2 wins and 1 loss while Equador would be 0 wins, 2 losses and 1 tie...

Depending on the score of the final games, Italy would most likely hold the better goal differential...so the group would end like this:

1. Italy 2-1
2 Croatia 2-1
3. Mexico 1-1-1
4 Equador 0-2-1

That is the best situation a tie between Mexico and Equador...

Now, I really don't think Mexico stands a chance against Italy. The will go all out against Equador to score as many goals as possible. Equador is a very defensive minded team and from what I understand they are looking at the Mexico game as a World Cup Final. So, you will see two very motivated teams.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
COME ON EQUADOR

i will be up at 2:25 cheering u on

beat the dirty mexicans..........or at least tie

COME ON EQUADOR!!!!!!!!!!

A onda da vas vatreni spale!!!!!!!!

Lav

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Actually if we are tied with only Italy in first place goal difference is no the decider, it is head to head. That would mean that we go through on top of our group.

If there is a three way tie then it will go to goal difference and then we need to beat Equador by a couple or hope that Italy thrashes Mexico to ensure our way in. Either way we could be facing SKorea or USA in the second round. Even if it's Portugal, we're giant killers and can take care of these little giants;)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, this is the order if teams are tied

1) goal difference
2) goals for
3) head to head

Here's all of them in order:

(a)greater number of points obtained in all the group matches;
(b)goal difference in all the group matches;
(c) greater number of goals scored in all the group matches.
If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their place shall be determined as follows:
(d)greater number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;
(e)goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;
(f) greater number of goals scored in the group matches between the teams concerned;
(g)drawing lots by the Organising Committee for the FIFA World Cup.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Baraba, it doesn't work that way. FIFA rules go like this in case of a tie in the standings:

1. Goal differential.
2. If the goal differential is even then the team with the most goals scored.
3. Finally, it is head to head.

So, in our case, if we finished tied with Italy, Italy would win the group with a +1 goal differential, while we are even.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JureM said:

So, in our case, if we finished tied with Italy, Italy would win the group with a +1 goal differential, while we are even.
Then again, we have 1 more game to get on the + side of things. You never know.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Close enough!!:D

Actually, you are from Chicago...that is where most of the Croatians from Hercegovina are in the US....

Quick sidebar...

Cleveland...Croatians from Bosna
Chicago...Croatians from Hercegovina
NY...Croatians from Zadar
Toronto....mix but I think it is mostly Croatians from Imotski.
Pittsburgh...5th and even 6th generation Croatians.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I stand corrected. I thought I read that somewhere but I guess I didn't. Excuse me for my incorrect correction.:)

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
btw, I went to one mexican restoraunt today with my croatian jersey on, and I had like 7-8 people (mexicans) come to me and congratulate on the win... it was pretty smooth

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
I swear every Dalmatinac I know here has relatives in Cleveland. I thought they were all Dalmatinci there.

·
International
8,545 Posts
If we beat Ecuador by a 2 goal margin, we go through to the next round no matter what. This is something we can do and it's what we should aim for, that way we don't have to hope for certain results out of Mexico-Italy game.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
IVO said:
If we beat Ecuador by a 2 goal margin, we go through to the next round no matter what.
exactly my thoughts ivo... we should be able to beat them by 2 goals

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
That's exactly what we have to do to make sure we progress. Mexico winning 2-1 was bad. If we dont win by 2 goals and niether does Italy, then our 1 goal win margin has to be greater than theres. i.e if Italy win 1-0 we need 2-1 etc etc. Now i definetly have to watch the match over the net.

·
©
7,230 Posts
I think we can do it!!:)

It is not the ideal situation but still very possible if the team performs something like it did yesterday. We will have to play even more napadacki. I agree that we should do all that we can so that we don't have to rely on others.

Just watching the game again and did you see the celebration from the coaches after the Rapajic goal? Marijan Vlak was going crazy!!:D

·
Banned
36,400 Posts
Mex 2-1 Ecua

what a game !!

Ecuador looked sluggish at best, Mexico really outplayed 'em today. They had a chance and we went crazy in the last 10 minutes.

So now it looks like this:

Momèad od. pob. ner. por. raz. bod.
Meksiko 2 2 0 0 3:1 6
Italija 2 1 0 1 3:2 3
Hrvatska 2 1 0 1 2:2 3
Ekvador 2 0 0 2 1:4 0

We have to beat Ecuador by at least two goals to secure a spot in the second round. If mexico beat Italy (not likely) even a draw is sufficent. If not, we must win, by 2.

No calculations for us now, 3 komada i idemo u Koreu !!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts