·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taken from smh.com.au

" SBS steps in to ensure World Cup on free TV
By Michael Cockerill
April 16 2002

Australia will have a free-to-air World Cup, with SBS to join forces with Channel 9 and complete the coverage of the world's most watched sporting event.

SBS head of television Peter Cavanagh has called a press conference in Sydney this morning to announce details of the network's plans for the World Cup in Korea/Japan in June which are expected to involve live broadcasts of all matches except the 16 previously purchased by Nine.

Industry sources suggest SBS has paid around $3 million for the rights, with Nine having previously paid an estimated $10m for its matches, which include the semi-finals and the final in Yokohama on June 30.

Today's announcement ends more than a year of painful negotiations by SBS, which covered the three previous tournaments. While the multi-cultural broadcaster was always favoured to pick up the rights to the remaining 48 games, it is believed a constant sticking point has been its desire to also replay the 16 games to be shown by Nine - something Nine has been reluctant to concede.

However, with the government's anti-siphoning deadline due to come into force today, SBS has run out of time to force the issue. Unless it completed the purchase by the deadline, SBS faced the prospect of losing the 48 games to pay television.

Because of the last-minute time frame, SBS will not be able to mount the sort of extensive production fans have seen in the past. While head of sport Les Murray and perhaps his regular sidekick Johnny Warren are likely to travel to Korea and Japan, much of the coverage is expected to be hosted in Sydney.

Nonetheless, Australian soccer fans will be delighted that SBS has finally secured the rights. And, in what would be a major coup, SBS seems likely to broadcast the opening game between France and Senegal on May 31 with Nine reluctant to abandon its NRL and AFL commitments that night. "

Finally we have the WC!!! No word from the f*ckers at channell 9 as to whether or not they're showing the finals live!

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
WOOHOO!

Thank God (or whoever for SBS) :proud: :happy: (despte what negative things i may say about "Laszlo" Murray, Johnny or the station at large from time to time

Getting the 48 games @ $3million was a bargain in relative terms as well :cool:. Apparently some countries piad uptp $250million for the WC rights and spare a thought for the many countries who won't get all the games on free-to-air and indeed some may not get ANY free to ari coverage at all :sigh:. Just proves that Australia is the greatest country to be in if you are a sports fan. How many other countries would you find that would have sport on all free to air channels at one time or another during a weekend (as i have discovered several times).

In a way i'm happy SBS won't show all the games and NINE will only have a chance to promote to the wider community (or wreck ;) ) 16 games worth of games. NINE are probably the worst channel when it comes to showcasing big sports events (they didn't even show every game for the Cricket World cup :wth: and didn't show many games for the Rugby League either) but it is important for football (soccer) to be shown by channels other than SBS (if only to shed the stereotypical "wogs game" image) and it gives us the viewers a chance to compare the coverage on both channels.

Now ill go get :drunk: & :stoned: in celebration and in readiness for the France-Senegal game :excited:

p.s: love the sig Muzza :cool: :dielaugh:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think Channell 9 got the WC for the good of the game???
Or that they will have better coverage than SBS which shows games live uninterrupted with commentators who know the game???

There's a reason why they don't have soccer-
because they are a bunch of league, cricket & (now AFL) meatheads.

Who will they get to cover it ? Paul Vaultin??? Expect about a bizillion commercial breaks during the finals - remember Channel 7's broadcast of Uruguay v Australia (Montevideo) - fricken sponsers adds every 5 minutes. I doubt they will show the games in prime time live because they don't want to mess up their regular scheduling (re: Stingers, ER etc.. :yuck: )

I say let SBS or even ABC have it forever. Let the commercial stations waste their millions on league, union & AFL !!!;)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
This has made my day.....I only found out about this great news on On the Ball today hahah........

...And when they said they were doing it and with the big smiles of Kyle Patterson and Johnny Warren:D...It put a smile on my face...

Bring on the World Cup....

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
It is very pleasing news :) SBS are here once again to rescue the Cup, but I am still very pissed off that Channel 9 will be showing some games, including 2 Italy games :mad: but there is a hint on theworldgame website that Channel 9 will sell their games to SBS. Please God :hopefull:

Has anyone gotten in contact with Channel 9 lately?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Channel 9 suck ****.........

Man who would call the World Cup games?....How would the commentators say some of the hard European names?.

Anyway well done to SBS how did they do it,where did the money come from;).

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Just another interesting note, isn't it funny how they (Channel 9) haven't made any advertisements about them showing the WC? ;)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah funny that :rolleyes: Maybe they won't even put it in the TV guides. All I can say is that if the finals are not shown live then it will be hell to pay! A WC in our time region and if those ****ers decide to show it after league, AFL, Blue Heelers, whatever I'll be pissed :mad:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyway after all that some good news....

For our Italian friends got a flyer with Italys first round matches from local hotel (kick off times):

Monday 3rd June - Italy v Ecuador (kick of 9.30 pm AEST)

Saturday 8th June - Italy v Croatia (kick off 5.00 pm AEST)

Thursday 13th June - Italy v Mexico (kick off 9.30 pm AEST)

For complete tv schedule go to:

http://www.sbs.com.au/WC/WC.htm

Notice how the the broadcast times for Channel 9 games are all TBA !!! :mad:

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
If Channel 9 dont show the Italian games and the other matches that they mother****ing have i will seriously piss on Channel 9 Sydney's headquaters and also make Kerry Packer eat my **** man they better show em......

And they should also show more Sydney Roosters matches and they better be ****ings live:D.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts