Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New home for the Japanese GP in 2007?
Monday March 13 2006

The Japanese Grand Prix will switch to Fuji in 2007, according to reports from Japan.

The Honda-owned Suzuka circuit currently hosts the race but Fuji owners Toyota are known to be keen on hosting a Formula One race a there was talk last year of a second Japanese race.

Reports from Japan today suggest Suzuka has lost its race, with the Yomiuri Shimbun newspaper claiming Formula One commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone has confirmed the deal.

But Ecclestone offered hope to Suzuka, suggesting a second race in Japan, as happened in the 1990s, could yet be arranged.

Suzuka president Ikuo Shimizu told Yomiuri Shimbun: "I'm not surprised at all. I'm going to keep on negotiating."

Fuji hosted the first Japanese Grand Prix in 1976, when James Hunt clinched his only World Championship in teaming rain.

However, Suzuka took over as the home of Formula One in Japan and has hosted the race since 1987.

-----------------

If Spa and Suzuka go F1'll officially suck. :thmbdown:

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Sir Leonardo said:
It would be really sad if F-1 was without these two circuits. I don't like the modfied Hockenheim circuit either. The old one was much better.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Sir Leonardo said:
I've been to the track personally and not only is it a superb, techincal driver's circuit, it has one of the best atmosphere in an F1 track plus some of the cutest girls on the grid :D

:finger: :finger: :finger: to Max and Bernie!

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Sir Leonardo said:
i think F1 has unofficially been heading towards the direction that the thumb is pointing for quite a while now, that why we have the GPMA

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
ilgenio said:
I've been to the track personally and not only is it a superb, techincal driver's circuit, it has one of the best atmosphere in an
And the second best corner on the calendar - the fearsome 130r.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Suzuka loses Japanese GP to Fuji

Mount Fuji forms the backdrop to the Speedway circuit
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/4839966.stm

The Japanese Formula One Grand Prix will switch to the Toyota-owned Fuji Speedway from Suzuka in 2007.
Suzuka, owned by rival Japanese car manufacturer Honda, has hosted the race since 1987. Fuji was upgraded in 2005 and holds a Grade One licence.

"Fuji Speedway will be the new home of Japanese F1 Grand Prix," confirmed F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone.

Built in 1966, Fuji hosted the first Japanese GP in 1976, when James Hunt took third to seal the drivers' title.

Hunt won the second race in 1977 but the day was marred by a crash which killed two people at trackside and there was no Japanese GP for the next 10 years.

Japan hosted two races in the 1994 and 1995 seasons, with the remote Aida circuit the venue of a second race run under the title Pacific Grand Prix.

--------------------

Gay. Very gay. :thmbdown:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts