Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I thought I'd have a go a documenting some of my trials with this outfit, the Savvy Army, or Savoia 1908 to the faithful;)

For a small club whose greatest achievement was second in Serie A in the early 1920s, they currently play in a huge stadium. Having consulted various Serie A fans, it appears that they ground shared with Napoli during the season where I picked up, so they have full access to the San Paolo. Capacity is 74,000+.

Its fair to say that the side was terrible when I first signed on.

Coupled with virtually no money in the bank, horrendous running costs and a wage bill out of control, I was looking forward to a smooth run:tongue: :D

The first season saw us treading water as we finished a respectable 7th in C1/2B. Thomas Bickle, Swiss midfielder, was a revelation and played so well for us, that he was recalled to the Swiss national squad.

Geraint Bater the welshman signed on and did well for a 19 year old.

The second year saw us win promotion. Dale Watkins came into the team on a free and was a revelation (I promise I won't describe anyone else as that from now on). Savoia were 1-3 down from the first leg of the play off semi finals against Palermo. In the second leg, Watkins took charge, and thundered the ball into the oppostions net 4 times, to give us a 4-1 victory over mighty Palermo. Class act!

Somehow, this play off win saw us cruise straight in to Serie B. Strange but true! Our first season was pretty good, and we finally started to attract some quality signings. Steve Palmer from Bristol City signed on a free, as did Campano the centre back, Angel the spanish defensive midfielder and Bravo the Spanish centre back. All did well, and we finished 4th, very luckily I have to say, but up we went into Serie A.

The first season was tough, and if it hadn't been for Dale Watkins' Indian summer (bagged 22 league goals despite being 31 and having a shot rating of 9) we might not have finished 7th. The highlight was beating AC Milan 1-0 at home, despite being completely outplayed for large periods of the game. We qualified for Europe too, by dint of the fact that 3 Italian teams make it into the European cup and 4 go into the UEFA cup.

Season five has been very difficult. We do not have a particularly outstanding goal scorer, despite signing Santini from Sheffield Wednesday and Saudati from Como. Both were doing well untill they came into the side. Currently 10th, but with hopes of improving. Still, some successes have been Liam McVey the scotsman, Right winger playing well on the left, Ronnie Wallwork and Geraint Bater in the back, Nicoletti in Goal and Galupo playing leftsided forward. We shall see.

Apologies for the length of this opening message. Things will get shorter;) :)

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
No need to apolgized, Fred; we enjoy long, detailed stories. If I weren't so lazy, I'd probably write pages about every match I play.... ;)

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, attendances have hovered around the 25000 mark, which isn't too bad I surpose, although it doesn't pay for the running costs. My highest turn out was against Fiorentina, a 0-0 draw which 32000 turned up to watch. I also had 30000 watch Savoia's match against Aston Villa in the Uefa cup qfs (which I unfortunately lost 0-1 to a Dion Dublin header...oh the ignomy:depress: ;) ).

I've made some good free transfers for the start of next season. Gattuso is coming from Salertina, I've got an Argentinian sweeper (can't remember his name right now) and I'm thinking about bringing Recoba in from Inter, although he's not that great in this version and Galupo isn't doing too bad in the side right now.

I think I've had too many non Italian players in the side, so I'm trying to just bring in Italian talent, although the Argentinian was too good to pass up.

I have to say that theres an awful lot of good Spanish talent knocking around going free....and thats been a boon for me in the lower divisions and even now, I have quite a few fringe players from fair Iberia.

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finished the season in 10th place. Awarded 2.3 Million quid for this achievement, which is very welcome at Savoia any day of the week.

A reasonably solid end to the season I have to say, having implemented some tactical changes (gained in part from Drac's thread). The players responded well. Pantellini (defensive midfielder) did some good work indeed when his personal tactics were changed to tackling hard and zonal marking. The defense became almost impregnable when Bater and Wallwork the centrebacks also had their tactics changed to zonal marking and hard tackling.

This also improved my attacking midfielder's performance, Steve Palmer, and he's been creating more opportunites and scoring a few more too since this was implemented (3 in the last 5 games).

In the last 5 games, we drew at Roma (3rd in the league) at Parma (5th in the league) beat Napoli 4-1 at home (Naples Derby) lost unluckily at home to Inter (2nd in the league) 1-0 and drew away Sampdoria (8th in the league).

I want to be aiming for a top 4 place this coming season, and a good run in the Italian Cup. Have Kallon coming in from Cagliari on a free, so he'll probably be upfront with the bold Galupo (bought from AC Milan for 5k, and not a bad deal at that!).

AC Milan won the league by the way, with Roma eventually coming in second and Juventus finishing 3rd.

Barcelona (who are matching Milan pound for pound in the transfer market at the minute) won the European cup on penalties against Man Utd.

Leeds won the Uefa cup
Valencia won the Cup winners cup

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also awarded 5 Million squid for tv rights. Top!

As a bit of background info, I've been playing 4-1-2-1-2 most of the season. My starting XI has generally been:

Nicoletti (Ita) - GK

Porchia (Ita) - RB; Wallwork (Eng) CB; Bater (Wal) CB; Calabria (Ita) - LB

Pantellini (Ita) - DM

Jose Moreno (Spa) - DM/R; McVey (Sco) - Att M

Palmer (Eng) - Att M

Saudati (Ita) - Fwd / R; Galupo (Ita) Att / F / L

subs: Swinkels (Hol) - GK; Giannella (Ita) - LB; Bravo (Spa) CB; Alfredo (Spa) LB / M; Mutarelli (Ita) DM; Howie (Sco) MC; Ronaldinho (Bra) Att M; Sanetti (Ita) Fwd

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Fred Elliot said:
Ronaldinho (Bra) Att M
how come the great Ronnie is on the bench? is he Ronaldinho Gaucho? :D

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
I think Fred bought CM 03/04 the other day...

Great results, by the way. Keep up the good work. :)

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm still playing CM3, 1998/99, although I've just finished season 2002/03.

Answering a few questions, I've got about 15 Mill + in the bank, although I expect a couple of mill more after season ticket sales for 03/04. The running costs are very high, somewhere in the region of 400k a month.

It is indeed Ronaldinho of current Barca fame on the bench. He is a good player in the team, and generally comes on for Steve Palmer or Mcvey if they're knackered. He isn't quite as consistent as these two, which is why I'm using him as a kind of impact player.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
CM3??? oh well, i just remember Ian Moore and Victor (spanish, but i forget what this club was).
anyway, why are u playing CM3 instead of the newer versions? :confused:

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nostalgia I suppose...and I want to see how well I can do with Savoia. Ian Moore is doing well with Everton, and is the main striker for England at present (mainly because Owen is injured).

Anyway, I'm currently 4th in the league at present. The side is doing well to some extent. Gattuso has been a great signing, as has been Crosa the Argentinian Centre back. Both playing out of their skins.

In the first 6 games I've beaten Vicenza, Piacenza, Genoa and Lazio. However, lost to Inter and, annoyingly, Torino. Fiorentina up next, at Home. I expect a victory against them. One can only hope.

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, the Serie A title beckons. I've got a 5 point lead on Lazio (who aren't bad I have to say) with 6 games to go. Parma knocked me out of the cup early on holding me to a 0-0 draw away and a 1-1 draw at home. But I had my revenge beating them home and away in the league.

Saudati and Kallon have been brilliant. I sold Gattuso to Roma as I needed the money (got 9 mill for him) and brought Roberto Magnani in from Napoli for 500k. Top buy...he's done very well. Crosa the Argie Centre back was excellent as well, but I have a young Italian called Domizi who is better, so I've sold Crosa for 4 mill to Boca Juniors, and am playing Domizi who cost me nothing.

Geraint Bater and Wallwork are the best defenders in the league, and even the stats seem to show this too. They are currently first and second in the players stats table.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
From Serie C1 to the Serie A title in 6 seasons is a great achievement. :thumbsup: :cool:

Have you had an increase in spectators showing up for homes games to, or are the average attendance still at around 25 000?

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
to be honest, I think I put you wrong Drac, its more like an average of 21,000, and that has more or less been the same level of attendance this season as well.

I need it to be more as my wage bill is out of control again. To keep Bater and Wallwork happy I had to give them 17k a week each. Kallon is on 20k a week, Domizi 10k, and a succession of others are on 9k, 8k and so forth. All up its costing me a combined total of over 1 mill a month with wages and grounds costs. Thats why I let Gattuso go because I got a little worried. I need to have at least 12 million a year in reserve to keep out the red. Oh woe is me;) :D :howler:

Still, I have some plans. I think that I may sell Bater for 11 mill to a british club, and use some of that to bring in 2 or 3 youth players from the Italian under 21 team on lower wages. Theres always good defenders in there, and you can pick them up for up to a couple of mill or lower, especially if they're in the lower divisions.

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well, the team won the league....Savoia are Serie A champions:) ...Geraint Bater was player of the year, and Domizi young player of the year. But I didn't get manager of the year, or even runner up;)

Anyway, for winning the league we received 4.5 million, but all of a sudden, I find out we are a plc, and theres a share dividend of 4.1 mill to be paid out to share holders:mad: :depress:

Things got better though. 5 mill for tv rights, 4.5 mill so far in season tickets and the 4 mill for Crosa to Boca Juniors.

I let a heck of a lot of players go at the end of the season when their contracts expired....something like 12 who were originally juniors with the club when I came on and were on long term contracts, or just signings that never really made the break into the team I expected. My squad was a lot smaller now, so I had room to bring in a lot of juniors from smaller teams into my reserve team, which I want to utilise much more as a feeder team into the first team squad. I probably spent as litte as 400k bringing 5 players in who have good potential.

For the first team, I bought two Argentinians, Milito and Galleti, both look world class. 2.2mill for Milito and nothing for Galleti, although he is on 21k a week.

I've played the qualifying match for the champions league against Olympija, and won 4-0 on agg, as well as winning the Italian Super Cup against Milan 1-0 (Kallon the scorer).

I think I've got a reasonable chance in Europe. Lazio won the European cup last year, on Penalties against Barcelona (who are still very strong) and I believe Savoia are better than the Romans. Madrid will be tough too....they have made what appears to be a huge bid for Totti, and if they get him, well, they will be a tough nut to crack thats for sure.

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No one has yet made an offer for Bater, so I've taken him off the transfer list. I probably don't need the money so much now anyway and he is a brilliant defender.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Congrats with the league title, Fred. :cool:

Fred Elliot said:
Anyway, for winning the league we received 4.5 million, but all of a sudden, I find out we are a plc, and theres a share dividend of 4.1 mill to be paid out to share holders:mad: :depress:
I had the same reaction when Gualdo suddenly turned out to be a plc. ;)

1 - 20 of 108 Posts