Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With henrik larsson out for around 6 months it dampens barcelona's attacking options, is a saviola recall out of the option or not ?????


Any body know?????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
967 Posts
the agreement stated that we couldn't until the end of the season, i agree with the opinion that we should wait till december to see if riera and messi are good enough to keep the team at this level
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,943 Posts
Oh you mean he wasn't sold to Monaco?
A pity. I always thought that he and deschamp were a pretty good team together.
 

·
The Ties That Bind
Joined
·
16,234 Posts
This has all been discussed in the Larsson injury thread. Messi isn't a striker and IMO Riera won't be good enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
annax said:
He won't be able to play in Europe will he? I think we need someone for that too>..
He is definitely a good player, but seriously, I can't see how we can play him together with Giuly, Saviola is 168 cm and Ludo 164. If we play some of the better English or Italian teams they often have big guys defending so we would have a big disadvantage. One very short guy is OK but not two at a time IMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,038 Posts
Barca_Nordic said:
He is definitely a good player, but seriously, I can't see how we can play him together with Giuly, Saviola is 168 cm and Ludo 164. If we play some of the better English or Italian teams they often have big guys defending so we would have a big disadvantage. One very short guy is OK but not two at a time IMHO.
And Messi on the left side. ;)
 

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
Joined
·
18,041 Posts
What role is Messi? because the games I saw him, he played everywhere roaming in the pitch, with qualities for everything, kind of "wild card", cause his goal ratio in his career is from goal per match player, so may be he can be used as a support striker, a la Ortega with much more goal.
 

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
Joined
·
40,147 Posts
Fangio said:
What role is Messi? because the games I saw him, he played everywhere roaming in the pitch, with qualities for everything, kind of "wild card", cause his goal ratio in his career is from goal per match player, so may be he can be used as a support striker, a la Ortega with much more goal.
He's a left wing, but you've seen how Barça plays, so you know that we don't have pure wings. Perhaps he could get minutes for Giuly or Ronaldinho if they need some rest. Maybe he could be a second striker, but we don't play this way, so it's not an option. The guy is 17 and he'll have chances as Iniesta, Damià and others are having. Let's be patient.
 

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
Joined
·
18,041 Posts
Left wing? he doesn't look like one lot more to offer, is the role Rikjaard wants for him? and even that I wasn't asking for him in the team is the kind of player that needs to play now, cause if not is a great possibilty of him vanishing, the old rule of "equipo que gana no se toca", can ruined the career, and did of many promising talents.

In Argentina and Brazil he will be playing right now with his youngster past, not same scenario, but is what makes a Saviola, Ronie, Aimar, seemed so mature being so young, is a good chance to test him and if in the matches he shows he is not ready for the weight of Barca's t-shirt, to loan him, you don't keep this jewells that much in bench or reserva, with the risk of not getting any market value and get injured in training or something, there is no recovery in those cases, and mostly big clubs like Barca etc, have a bigger tendencia to buy consolidate or shining starts in the attack position ("different" players are much more difficult to find and produce than defenders)

He is young? yes, but if he is the real deal that is promotioned, he can play right now, if the others will pass him the ball, or not is also something to be see. Barca is the best moment of recent years, with loads of players in the attack position, an even Iniesta above him, etc, not counting a Saviola, and Garcias return, benching till 22, can ruin him, specially when you are treated like the next big thing, and is much better to have the typical big low at your 20, with two years in Primera, or the typical lows/highs of younger players adquiring experience, than not playing, all this because of the hype around him, and also bacause the few I saw, he is really different, and better in mentallity, he handles fear as a veteran, he is irreverent, I will try him.
But left wing surprises me, the four, five games I saw him he never played there...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Fargo said:
We should forget about him now. He won't join up before the summer. Nice goal by him today btw. :thmbup:
He can double in our handball section from what I saw :dielaugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
Barca_Nordic said:
He is definitely a good player, but seriously, I can't see how we can play him together with Giuly, Saviola is 168 cm and Ludo 164. If we play some of the better English or Italian teams they often have big guys defending so we would have a big disadvantage. One very short guy is OK but not two at a time IMHO.
I don't agree. Being tall is more important for positions such as defensive midfield, central defense, and goalkeeping, where height is a big advantage. Sure, height is an advantage anywhere on the pitch, but give me Romario, Maradona, and Saviola over Emile Heskey and Jan Koller any day.

Playing two short attackers wouldn't be a problem. You are stereotyping that small guys get muscled off the ball. But big guys get muscled off the ball too, and if you're skillful enough like most of Barça's current attackers, then being short isn't really an issue. None of Barça's attackers are tall, all are either average or short, yet we have arguably the best attack in Spain and Europe.

Do people look at our attack and say, "Nah, the attack is not good because the attackers are short"?

NO, they say "Wow, Barça attack is so strong because of the speed and skill of the players".

Like I said before, Maradona was very short also, but nobody holds that against him.

I think Giuly and Saviola are skillful enough to play alongside eachother, we may not score any headers, but our attack will still be strong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Puyol_Culé said:
I don't agree. Being tall is more important for positions such as defensive midfield, central defense, and goalkeeping, where height is a big advantage. Sure, height is an advantage anywhere on the pitch, but give me Romario, Maradona, and Saviola over Emile Heskey and Jan Koller any day.

Playing two short attackers wouldn't be a problem. You are stereotyping that small guys get muscled off the ball. But big guys get muscled off the ball too, and if you're skillful enough like most of Barça's current attackers, then being short isn't really an issue. None of Barça's attackers are tall, all are either average or short, yet we have arguably the best attack in Spain and Europe.

Do people look at our attack and say, "Nah, the attack is not good because the attackers are short"?

NO, they say "Wow, Barça attack is so strong because of the speed and skill of the players".

Like I said before, Maradona was very short also, but nobody holds that against him.

I think Giuly and Saviola are skillful enough to play alongside eachother, we may not score any headers, but our attack will still be strong.
No doubt about our attacking being strong, what I mean is that we could be even stronger if we could take advantage of corners and freekicks with some lengthy players among the forwards. At the moment only Gerard and Marquez have this capability both in terms of heading skills and height (i.e. jumping capability) which means almost every corner is a short one which I find a bit stereotype.
For most teams corners are golden scoring opportunities but that has not been the case for us and the further we advances in the CL the more we will need this IMHO.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top