Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I would appreciate your help in something. I have been creating all the great past sides in the world for something that I am doing, but I am in need of alot more information on the great Santos side that Pele played in. I have found a team line up from Copa Libertadores cup final of 1962, but i need the following information.

1. What formation did the great Santos side usually play ?

2. What style of football did they play ?

3. What position did each player play in ?

4. The type, strength and weaknes of each player (I only know about Pele.)

Here is the side I found on the internet. Any other players I need to add to this side ?

Gilmar - Mauro, Dalmo, Olavo, Calvet, Zito, Dorval, Lima,
Coutinho, Pelé, Pepe.

I hope you dont midn me posting here to ask for such information :). I dont know if there will be anyone who knows anythign about that side as it is a long time ago now, but hopefully someone can help me. Thanks.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Celestial2004,
I have some books about Brasilian football from the '50s but I can't look it up now... later I'll see if I can find more details for you.

But off the top of my head, and analyzing just the line-up you provided...
Gilmar - Mauro, Dalmo, Olavo, Calvet, Zito, Dorval, Lima,
Coutinho, Pelé, Pepe.
Gilmar was a helluva goalkeeper, who won two Libertadores and two Intercontinental Cups for Santos (one against Milan and the other against Benfica), and also won World Cups '58 and '62 for Brasil. ;)

Zito was the captain of the team, a fierce defensive midfielder, and he also won WCs '50 and '62 as Brasil's captain. In WC 62, in one game Pele got seriously injured, and as no subtitutions were allowed Pele went to the leftwing so Brasil would still have 11 players on the field. But when it became obvious that the King was in no condition to do anything, Zito told Pele that if he was going to be useless he should do so in the bench... and Pele left the field. :eek: Huge leadership, and a great player. :star:

Pepe was the "cannon of the vilage", a skillful leftwinger with a powerful left-foot shot. Excellent player too.

And Coutinho was Pele's best attacking partner; their quick exchanges of passes in the middle of crowded defenses were legendary. Each one of them knew exactly where the other would be without even looking, because they were used to playing together. Coutinho wasn't really brilliant, but a very intelligent forward with a great vision. :)

That's all I remember right now... I'll see if I can dig up more later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for what youhave told me so far. I appreciate it :) Wish i could see some film footage of that great Santos side :).

Anyway if you can look me up more info that will be great !!

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
This was the team : Gilmar, Lima, Mauro , Calvet , Dalmo, Zito , Mengálvio, Dorval, Pelé, Coutinho and Pepe.

Mauro was a great defender, starter for the nt in 62.

I think that team played like this.

--------------------------Gilmar------------------------
Dalmo--------Mauro---------Calvet--------Lima----
--------------------------Zito-------------------------------
--------------------- Mengalvio------------------------
Pepe--------------------------------------Dorval--------
-----------------Pele------------------------------------------
------------------------Coutinho----------------------------

·
Administrator
29,802 Posts
You people are doing the mistake of using Lima as a normal starter, he was the 12th player, jack-of-all traits. I think the player you are missing is Rildo.

It was 4-2-4.

The backs do not moved ahead as today.
the 2 in the middle are not really defensive middlefielders as today - Zito had the obligation to organized the team as well.Dorval is the right wing, dribbler and speed, Pepe the left winger, THE KICK. Pele and Coutinho in the middle ahead. Sometimes they changed positions with one another.
Mengalvio is a great player, call and ready to organize the team. With time this team was developing 4-3-3 , with Pele Returning a bit more in the middle to organize the game with the other 2. Mauro was a hell of defender, calm and classic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts