Xtratime Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Santana and Rosales are two players I have high regards for. After promising much early they have not achieved a lot.
Santana ofcourse was part of the 2001 U-20 winning team and then played very well with the Olympic gold winning team as well. He had a bright start in Italy with smaller teams. However, he has been injury prone and has hardly been in the lime-light. Wonder, where his career is heading. Has silky skills that really need to be showcased on a higher level.
Mauro Rosales kicked a** with the Olympic team. He, I believe was part of the U-20 team that finished 4th in 2003, along with Masche, Cavenaghi, and Gonzalo Rodriguez. And when he signed for Ajax, I thought he would go places, but it didn't happen. I really didn't follow him during his Ajax days. He probably didn't do too well, I should think since he has returned from Europe. But I'm glad he has joined River. Hopefully he puts some consistent performances, which will enable him to have another crack in Europe.
Both are wonderful players, who I would love to see more of.
What do you guys think are the chances of them getting back into the NT?

·
Premium Member
22,650 Posts
I wish I knew the formula for success in Europe. Some players make it and others, who may be technically better, never do. I like to see our players do well in Europe, but would also like to see the Argentinian leagues get these great players too.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Rosales played several games under Bielsa in 2004, and the first 1-2 world cup qualifiers with Pekerman.
Santana played the Confed cup under Pekerman.
Both players didn't impress and lost their place in the national team very soon, this, combined with an unsuccessful European experience makes it very unlikely for them to regain self confidence.

To play for the national team, one needs to be performing very well always, or to establish himself in the team's tactics. I think none of them are that good, and they aren't tactically necessary players for Basile.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.